Birdbrain

pelmetman - 2020-12-12 9:41 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-12-12 9:34 PM

pelmetman - 2020-12-12 9:15 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-12-12 9:12 PM

pelmetman - 2020-12-12 8:58 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-12-12 8:47 PM

jumpstart - 2020-12-12 8:42 PM

So for a no deal...the EU gets...massive tariffs on cars...

Cars from where exactly? :-S

Where do BMW, Audi. Mercs, VW, Hymers, Burstner's etc etc come from? ;-) ......

All have FTA's with EU.......just as UK once had which you clowns voted to throw away. *-)

I don't have problem with folk like Brian having to pay tariffs to feed their Kraut Krap habit ;-) ........

If you read the string properly you'd see J/start for some peculiar reason thought "So for a no deal...the EU gets...massive tariffs on cars...". The EU do not put tariffs on their member states products sold within the EU or countries with FTA's. We don't have one with them so are going to get clobbered and if you think it's just vehicles, think again.

It's going to be everything......food, clothes, electrical items white goods etc etc. So well done on that.....what an "achievement"......NOT. *-)

You do know that we can buy stuff from other countries? 8-) .......

A lot cheaper to >:-) ........

Idiot.....it's not only about buying....we've got to sell stuff too. *-)

All have FTA's with EU.......just as UK once had which you clowns voted to throw away. *-)

I don't have problem with folk like Brian having to pay tariffs to feed their Kraut Krap habit ;-) ........

If you read the string properly you'd see J/start for some peculiar reason thought "So for a no deal...the EU gets...massive tariffs on cars...". The EU do not put tariffs on their member states products sold within the EU or countries with FTA's. We don't have one with them so are going to get clobbered and if you think it's just vehicles, think again.

It's going to be everything......food, clothes, electrical items white goods etc etc. So well done on that.....what an "achievement"......NOT. *-)

Germany wants to sell us BM’s,Audi’s etc...its a very big market for them. They will all have tariffs put on them . Most industries in the EU want their masters to do a deal. Brussels want to punish us for leaving,so that other countries dont start the same path. Ireland was told they would be the main consideration , Ireland desperately want a deal done but are now being ignored by Germany and France the two countries with the biggest say . Sure i think Boris has completely cocked this up but leaving the EU will be better in the long run. Brussels cant even organise their own budget, can’t get agreement on boarder controls, runs a hugely wasteful Agricultural policy , has no idea on foreign policy , is way behind on controls of animal cruelty, hugely wasteful of members money on moving Parliament every month , wants a Federal army to stop other countries leaving just like how American Civil war started......do i want to remain in this club....No.

A trading deal is obviously what both parties want but Brussels just cant accept us being competitive right on their boarder ,they want their cake, they want to cherry pick.

No deal is not good for anyone.

jumpstart - 2020-12-13 8:28 AM

Germany wants to sell us BM’s,Audi’s etc...its a very big market for them. They will all have tariffs put on them . Most industries in the EU want their masters to do a deal. Brussels want to punish us for leaving,so that other countries dont start the same path. Ireland was told they would be the main consideration , Ireland desperately want a deal done but are now being ignored by Germany and France the two countries with the biggest say . Sure i think Boris has completely cocked this up but leaving the EU will be better in the long run. Brussels cant even organise their own budget, can’t get agreement on boarder controls, runs a hugely wasteful Agricultural policy , has no idea on foreign policy , is way behind on controls of animal cruelty, hugely wasteful of members money on moving Parliament every month , wants a Federal army to stop other countries leaving just like how American Civil war started......do i want to remain in this club....No.

A trading deal is obviously what both parties want but Brussels just cant accept us being competitive right on their boarder ,they want their cake, they want to cherry pick.

Its us that wants to Cherry Pick. I cant believe after all this time that Brexiteers still dont understand how it works. We can have a deal with the EU but we cannot cherry pick without alignment. Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein all have deals with the EU but have to follow EU rules. Even Turkey has Customs Union access but has to follow certain rules also. If you are a country in Europe and want access to the single market and / or Customs Union then you can have it as long as you abide by the rules which protect both the European Single market and Customs union.

There was never anything stopping us having all of that but it was the Brexiteers and Johnson that sold us a lie that we because we were somehow more important could have all of that without following EU rules. We tried to tell you years ago that this would be impossible but you Brexiteers chose not to listen. So this is why we are where we are now.

Germany wants to sell us BM’s,Audi’s etc...its a very big market for them. They will all have tariffs put on them .

China is BMW and Audi's largest market. We are a tiny little island nation heavily reliant on a daily uninterrupted flow of imports such as foods and medicines which is of more concern than a new car, though ironically it's taken cars to highlight the woeful mess Brexit has plunged this country into after Honda had to shut down their production lines after JIT parts were stuck in a queue. This is Project Reality.

jumpstart - 2020-12-13 4:47 PM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1347183/brexit-latest-news-germany-car-industry-brexit-bmw-brexit-deal-deadline

Germany panic....why ...its only going to cost them 11 billion euros.

I would discount anything you read in the Brexpress normally but especially now.

Yes it wont be great news for German automotive but hardly a reason to panic. Their automotive industry is worth roughly £500 Billion a year so £11 billion is just a 2.2% loss. Its like we keep saying, Germanys exports to us are about 5.5-6% but ours to the EU are nearly 50%.

The Brexiteers have been saying for years that the German motor industry would ride to our rescue. It wont happen.

Barryd999 - 2020-12-13 11:08 AM

Its us that wants to Cherry Pick. I cant believe after all this time that Brexiteers still dont understand how it works. We can have a deal with the EU but we cannot cherry pick without alignment. Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein all have deals with the EU but have to follow EU rules. Even Turkey has Customs Union access but has to follow certain rules also. If you are a country in Europe and want access to the single market and / or Customs Union then you can have it as long as you abide by the rules which protect both the European Single market and Customs union.

There was never anything stopping us having all of that but it was the Brexiteers and Johnson that sold us a lie that we because we were somehow more important could have all of that without following EU rules. We tried to tell you years ago that this would be impossible but you Brexiteers chose not to listen. So this is why we are where we are now.

Thats all very well for countries that actually dont have a lot to offer the EU, but we actually do have quite a lot to bargain with.

It took 7 years for Canada to get a trade deal. The EU wanted to cherry pick full access to fish in their waters. Canada said no way, they were to control access.

So the duplicitous EU want their cake.

jumpstart - 2020-12-13 5:27 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-12-13 11:08 AM

Thats all very well for countries that actually dont have a lot to offer the EU, but we actually do have quite a lot to bargain with.

It took 7 years for Canada to get a trade deal. The EU wanted to cherry pick full access to fish in their waters. Canada said no way, they were to control access.

So the duplicitous EU want their cake.

LOL! I think Switzerland and Norway might have something to say about your statement. Its odd because a lot of Brexiteers say the EU is unfair in that the powerful countries have too much sway like Germany yet here you are saying they should bend the rules for us because we are all powerful and important. Good for them I say! Its always been about protecting the single market at all costs. Again us remainers banged on about that from day one but oh no! The EU would cave you said. Canada is 3000 miles away so is not comparable plus as I keep saying its down to trust. The Brexiteers elected the now most untrustworthy PM in the western world. No sane country is going to take him at his word, not a single one.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-12-13 5:07 PM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1347183/brexit-latest-news-germany-car-industry-brexit-bmw-brexit-deal-deadline

I would discount anything you read in the Brexpress normally but especially now.

Yes it wont be great news for German automotive but hardly a reason to panic. Their automotive industry is worth roughly £500 Billion a year so £11 billion is just a 2.2% loss. Its like we keep saying, Germanys exports to us are about 5.5-6% but ours to the EU are nearly 50%.

The Brexiteers have been saying for years that the German motor industry would ride to our rescue. It wont happen.

The German car industry is about to get hit by the double whammy of having to stop making fossil fuel cars and change to electric vehicle production ;-) ...........

I'm glad our economy isn't dependant on flogging old technology >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-12-14 10:13 AM

The German car industry is about to get hit by the double whammy of having to stop making fossil fuel cars and change to electric vehicle production ;-) ...........

Ooops.

https://tinyurl.com/y6s56l4z

Dont they also have the two biggest EV battery production factories or soon will have? Sure I read that somewhere. I wonder what that means for that startup company in Northumberland especially as the German one which will be THE biggest is being built by Tesla

pelmetman - 2020-12-14 10:13 AM

You're letting your silly Germanophobia blind your mind again. Germany has been developing and building electric cars longer than we have and last year the VW was their best selling electric car.

It's "old technology" which has kept that 30 year old banger you call a "motorhome" on the road. Thankfully no countries economy is dependent on it though perhaps some poverty struck farmer would take it off your hands for a chicken shed.

(lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Where they come from is secondary, It is who owns them that counts. See here: https://tinyurl.com/ycfuk2um Set the table to sort on "Parent headquarters", and then look at the result. Jingoism is no substitute for knowledge! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-15 6:56 PM

Where they come from is secondary, It is who owns them that counts. See here: https://tinyurl.com/ycfuk2um Set the table to sort on "Parent headquarters", and then look at the result. Jingoism is no substitute for knowledge! :-D

What few British owned car manufacturers we have left produce the 'wrong type' of car being either totally impractical (Caterham and Ariel Atom......great fun if young, fit and never take more than a pakamac away with you), or for the wealthy....Bentley, Morgan, Noble etc. The Caterham is only just about affordable for the working man if bought in kit form and even then it would have to be a lower spec power unit.

Britain needs to think about building an electric "peoples car"......a vehicle capable of carrying four adults and luggage with a range of at least 300 mile per single charge with a price tag of £5k. With that sort of spec we might even have a desirable bit of export merchandise to help pay our countries insanity.

Bulletguy - 2020-12-15 8:33 PM

What few British owned car manufacturers we have left produce the 'wrong type' of car being either totally impractical (Caterham and Ariel Atom......great fun if young, fit and never take more than a pakamac away with you), or for the wealthy....Bentley, Morgan, Noble etc. The Caterham is only just about affordable for the working man if bought in kit form and even then it would have to be a lower spec power unit.

Britain needs to think about building an electric "peoples car"......a vehicle capable of carrying four adults and luggage with a range of at least 300 mile per single charge with a price tag of £5k. With that sort of spec we might even have a desirable bit of export merchandise to help pay our countries insanity.

Plus, if you look down the brand names on that list, you'll note that more than a few were British in origin, but are now in foreign ownership, whereas I don't think any were foreign in origin, but now in British ownership. This discounts those not on the list that were British in origin but were acquired by foreign manufacturers and have since disappeared altogether. Now, why is that?

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-16 10:50 AM

Plus, if you look down the brand names on that list, you'll note that more than a few were British in origin, but are now in foreign ownership, whereas I don't think any were foreign in origin, but now in British ownership. This discounts those not on the list that were British in origin but were acquired by foreign manufacturers and have since disappeared altogether. Now, why is that?

And after all those years in the EU as well.....

Brian Kirby - 2020-12-16 10:50 AM

There are numerous reasons Brian not helped by industrial disputes and mismanagement, but overall as is typical of British industry, particularly engineering, an atrocious lack of investment and upgrading with current day technology. The latter was where our foreign counterparts literally blew us away. Annoyingly it's not because we can't either, (McLaren and Prodrive factories are testament to that which bristle with state-of-the-art engineering equipment), it's just that we've been very lax and disinterested in engineering content to stick with timewarp 'technology'.

This is a good read; https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-the-uk-lost-its-car-manufacturing-industry/

Archived