Mileage 2020

Violet1956

Shock horror, we had to take the van in for an MOT today. We discovered that we did less than 700 miles in 2020. Not really getting any value for money from it now. Wondering whether to hold on to it or flog it. Our plan was to tour Europe extensively once we were both retired. That is not looking realistic for at least another 6 months or so. Hey ho, it might have to go. I wonder how many people are in the same boat.

Prices have shot up this last year as has demand. I think we did even less miles than that. Only managed two and a half weeks away in August which was rubbish. I was going to change vans this winter but I dont see the point now. I wont sell it though. It can just sit there until its needed.

Violet1956 - 2021-01-04 9:44 PM

Shock horror, we had to take the van in for an MOT today. We discovered that we did less than 700 miles in 2020. Not really getting any value for money from it now. Wondering whether to hold on to it or flog it. Our plan was to tour Europe extensively once we were both retired. That is not looking realistic for at least another 6 months or so. Hey ho, it might have to go. I wonder how many people are in the same boat.

Stick with it ... We did east coast Yorkshire, Peak District and Scotland last year in between work and restrictions ... We have Devon late March to start this year but that looks like its gone ... We had planned 2 months late this year to play in lovely Europe but we will see

Barryd999 - 2021-01-04 10:15 PM

Prices have shot up this last year as has demand. I think we did even less miles than that. Only managed two and a half weeks away in August which was rubbish. I was going to change vans this winter but I dont see the point now. I wont sell it though. It can just sit there until its needed.

I think you prolly did do less miles ... Didn't you do your annual farmers field to trip to flamborough once again which is prolly a stones throw away from your house

Van serviced November 2019. Mileage 9095. Van MoT November 2020. Mileage 9680. Travelled 585 miles - of which 289 was 5 days in Somerset in in September!

You will tour Europe Cindarella! :-D

It will be less straightforward than before Brexit/Covid, but if you sell, and then decide later that you wish you hadn't and decide to replace it, it will cost you far more in cash terms than the perceived lost value for money. If you like it, and enjoy using it, keep it, but drive around for 30 or so miles about once per month to "exercise" the mechanical bits.

It is a depreciating asset, but selling that will merely convert the depreciating asset into an immediate financial loss. Besides, what return could you make on the money you might get for it at present?

Europe awaits you. Just spend the time until you can actually go by planning your future trips so as to avoid spending more than 90 days in any 180 day period! Destinations, routes, stopping places, places to visit and see. You'll be buying your tickets before you've finished the planning! :-D

Lovely Europe.

Coming from you is a demonstration of the very subtle British humor.

We are planning to identify those like you by tracking various social networks.

Those positive to the test, accordingly to the Christmas Eve deal, will be sent to quarantine for five years in Avannaata (north-western Greenland).

Don't worry, it's still Europe but outside the EU.

Birdbrain - 2021-01-05 6:35 AM

Stick with it ... We did east coast Yorkshire, Peak District and Scotland last year in between work and restrictions ... We have Devon late March to start this year but that looks like its gone ... We had planned 2 months late this year to play in lovely Europe but we will see

Such great trips you had. We haven't been up to Scotland since the 80s. Best in May methinks. The West Coast was glorious when we last camped there, in a two man tent. As for the Peak District, I recall caravanning there when our children were small. My favourite place is Chatsworth. Walking down the waterfall steps on a hot summer's day with the kids was magic.

Brian Kirby - 2021-01-05 12:38 PM

Van serviced November 2019. Mileage 9095. Van MoT November 2020. Mileage 9680. Travelled 585 miles - of which 289 was 5 days in Somerset in in September!

It will be less straightforward than before Brexit/Covid, but if you sell, and then decide later that you wish you hadn't and decide to replace it, it will cost you far more in cash terms than the perceived lost value for money. If you like it, and enjoy using it, keep it, but drive around for 30 or so miles about once per month to "exercise" the mechanical bits.

It is a depreciating asset, but selling that will merely convert the depreciating asset into an immediate financial loss. Besides, what return could you make on the money you might get for it at present?

Europe awaits you. Just spend the time until you can actually go by planning your future trips so as to avoid spending more than 90 days in any 180 day period! Destinations, routes, stopping places, places to visit and see. You'll be buying your tickets before you've finished the planning! :-D

Encouraging word Brian, thanks. You're right, as usual, we would not get much money for our van on an 06 plate. Nevertheless with storage and maintenance costs it is proving a bit of a white elephant.

Our new van arrived in March but due to lockdown it was only registered at the beginning of June.

We made a short (600km) test trip in the northern part of Lombardy, up to Livigno/Stelvio Pass.

For the summer holidays I had a few options.

- Spain but to get there it was necessary to cross France, at that time the pandemic was exploding again.

- Ireland, but the UK and possible quarantines were involved.

- Bulgaria but too many countries to cross and very likely quarantines.

- Germany, tour dedicated to the cities of the Hanseatic League, up to Rugen Island.

This is the one we have chosen.

Something more than 5400 kilometers covered, got back home in late August.

The van has been stationary in the storage since then.

Since 2003 this is the first time that we have not traveled during the Christmas period, typically for us from December 26th to January 6th.

Last night a parliamentary reporter related something told to him. Late last year he was in Germany and he asked a German minister when it was thought Europe might return to some sort of normality, the answer was "don't expect it to be 2021, hopefully that was being pessimistic, but the online calculator predicts gf getting second jab late autumn 2021!

mtravel - 2021-01-05 1:35 PM

- Germany, tour dedicated to the cities of the Hanseatic League, up to Rugen Island.

If you go, be sure to visit Prora to see Hitlers "Kraft durch Freude" folly.....the five kilometre long building planned to accommodate 20,000 German citizens for an annual holiday. Very fascinating bit of architectural history.

Violet1956 - 2021-01-05 1:16 PM

jumpstart - 2021-01-05 8:32 AM

We're still in it , since Sept.

Flippin' eck jumpstart, aren't you a bit cold?

It's about 8deg in the van when we wake,but plenty warm under a duvay. I'm more concerned about the -6deg at the end of this week as will have to empty the CW tank and pipes.

jumpstart - 2021-01-05 3:14 PM

It's about 8deg in the van when we wake,but plenty warm under a duvay. I'm more concerned about the -6deg at the end of this week as will have to empty the CW tank and pipes.

Yes if those aren't well insulated they will definitely split so it's safer to drain off. I always drain off my outside tap on the house and that's insulated! A stock of bottled water is useful and can be used for washing as well.

Violet1956 - 2021-01-05 1:09 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-01-05 6:35 AM

Such great trips you had. We haven't been up to Scotland since the 80s. Best in May methinks. The West Coast was glorious when we last camped there, in a two man tent. As for the Peak District, I recall caravanning there when our children were small. My favourite place is Chatsworth. Walking down the waterfall steps on a hot summer's day with the kids was magic.

Forgot we had 3 days in glorious Southport n'all ... Scotland was end September for 3 weeks which opened my eyes to a county of England I had overlooked for 10 years after our first visit in the motorhome ... As for lovely Europe our longest trip away was 3 months, early October to January and the weather at that time of year was fab ... I hope you get away for your planned 2 months

Bulletguy - 2021-01-05 3:43 PM

jumpstart - 2021-01-05 3:14 PM

Yes if those aren't well insulated they will definitely split so it's safer to drain off. I always drain off my outside tap on the house and that's insulated! A stock of bottled water is useful and can be used for washing as well.

I have insulated the CW tank and under Van pipes which is fine if around freezing for a few hours over night. From Thurs

to Sun its not due to get above 1deg but will fall to -6deg so i wont chance that over a few days. Inside will be fine.

colin - 2021-01-05 1:36 PM

Last night a parliamentary reporter related something told to him. Late last year he was in Germany and he asked a German minister when it was thought Europe might return to some sort of normality, the answer was "don't expect it to be 2021, hopefully that was being pessimistic, but the online calculator predicts gf getting second jab late autumn 2021!

Chris Whitty has just said the UK may face restrictions next winter!

Archived