Gas regulators - replacement scheme - MMM article

GJH

Just done a search on gas regulators and can't see an answer to the question I have so started a new thread. Also looked at www.thecaravan.net and can't see the answer either.

John Wickersham's article in the April 2007 MMM gives details (page 214) of a scheme for replacing regulators between now and September 2008. Does anyone know:

1) Must the regulator fail before owners can take advantage of the scheme or will there be a recall programme based on the mounting position of the original regulator?

2) If the latter will dealers contact owners to whom they sold vehicles or do we need to contact the dealer if we think there might be a need for a modification?

Graham

davew-s - 2007-03-29 11:05 AM

We have now started taking orders for the stainless steel hoses and caravan regulator kits that eliminate the rubber hoses which it is believed causes regulators to fail

Yes, I'm aware of that having seen your posts on other threads.

My question, though, is about replacement of the regulator.

At the moment we have had no problems - so that means I don't know if the regulator is perfectly OK or if it is partially contaminated and likely to fail in the future. If it is the latter case then I need the thing sorting before I think about spending money on a stainless steel hose.

Graham

Reading between the lines, I got the impression that the regulator manufacturers, once they realised it was not a problem caused by badly manufactured regulators. Took the view the problem was not theirs.

I suppose, if the contamination comes from the pipes, it is the pipe manufacturer that got it wrong. They should be footing the bill, or the suppliers who sold the pipes to you as being unfit for purpose.

tonyishuk - 2007-03-29 6:27 PM

Reading between the lines, I got the impression that the regulator manufacturers, once they realised it was not a problem caused by badly manufactured regulators. Took the view the problem was not theirs.

According to the article it seems to have been agreed that the regulators are not at fault but the arrangement that has been put in place apparently sets aside the fault source. It appears that nobody has actually gone against prevailing standards, that the problem has been in the wings (so to speak) for quite some time but has only just become apparent.

Truma, in return for a commitment from MH builders to continue using their regulators for an agreed period, have said they will supply replacements until Sept 2008 and the MH builders will supply modification kits. Dealers who fit the modifications will be able to claim costs from the builders.

Graham

From what I've read so far, I don't think you'll get a knock on the door from your dealer asking you to let him mod your gas installation!  Neither do I think you'll get a very constructive response if you ask for a spare regulator, in case the fitted one fails.

I think your best bet by far will be to ensure your regulator is as close to the roof of your gas locker as it can be fitted, raising it up if necessary, and then buy the stainless steel tail/s to eliminate any problem with possible leachate from rubber hoses.  Looking at pictures on the Gaslow website indicates the stainless steel core is ribbed, presumably to give it some flexibility, and externally sheathed in clear plastic of some sort, presumably for mechanical protection.

Brian Kirby - 2007-03-29 7:25 PM

I think your best bet by far will be to ensure your regulator is as close to the roof of your gas locker as it can be fitted, raising it up if necessary

The scheme which the article mentioned is supposed to provide a modification (free to the MH owner) to do this.

Graham

I had the impression that Truma had already said they would not replace any more faulty regulators, I decided I was not going to risk having any time away in our Motorhome ruined by a faulty regulator so I bought two replacement stainless steel hoses direct from Gaslow and one of there Truma type regulators, the regulator was only £16 compared to Trumas £60 and I beleive they are constucted different , I think this was money well spent even if I never need the regulator.

Terry :-D

tp002c784tp002c784tp - 2007-03-29 8:00 PM

I had the impression that Truma had already said they would not replace any more faulty regulators,

According to the article that was the case but Truma then changed their mind and entered into the agreement mentioned above.

Graham

Archived