Brexiteers told you so..........

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2021-02-05 3:20 PM

Looks like I was right (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Suck it up LOSERS >:-) ............

About what? :-S

You keep making these potty claims without a shred of evidence and when asked, you just spout off more silly childish comments.

Brian asked you to post your evidence on another thread but typically you ran off and ignored because you can't think up anything. I'm sure you'll dream up some rubbish. *-)

pelmetman - 2021-02-05 2:21 PM

This will annoy Brian and his fellow LOSERS :D ...........

"Ursula von der Leyen accidentally made the case for Brexit while apologising to Europe for the slow pace of her vaccine roll-out today - admitting that solo countries will be quicker at getting things done."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9227551/Ursula-von-der-Leyen-accidentally-SUPPORTS-Brexit-apologising-EU-vaccine-shambles.html

Suck it up ........LOSERS >:-) .........

For someone who sees him self as the great "winner" you ain't half insecure about you "victory". :-D

How many times have you been told, with evidence from those who are actually in the know, that your and the DM's version of why the UK was able to approve use of vaccines before the EU has nothing whatever to with leaving the EU?

pelmetman - 2021-02-05 6:37 PM

Even the Spiv's are telling you so >:-) ............

"I think Brexit is more than likely on the positive side than on the negative side," he said.

He does admit that money and jobs have moved from the UK as a result of Brexit, but says the impact has been modest.

"Yes, there are some jobs that are going to Europe, that otherwise would have been in the UK, but it's in the hundreds.

It was also almost totally ignored in the Brexit negotiations - access to EU markets enjoyed for decades ended in January. About £1 trillion in capital and assets and up to 10,000 jobs left the UK industry as firms set up EU subsidiaries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55939857

Suck it up LOSERS (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

After editing in the parts you conveniently left out and ignored it's clear the LOSERS are the UK.......and that includes YOU.

So suck it up LOSER.

pelmetman - 2021-02-05 6:37 PM

Even the Spiv's are telling you so >:-) ............

"I think Brexit is more than likely on the positive side than on the negative side," he said.

Suck it up LOSERS (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

£1.6trillion of assets have left the UK recently to the EU, yet you seem to think that we are out now and all that could go wrong has already happened? And if you think we can compete in New York and somehow, the US will not want reciprocal rights to compete in the UK, then you are very much mistaken

Besides do you think that being in the EU stopped the UK from providing financial services in other parts of the world ? All these things could have happened with us still in the EU.

pelmetman - 2021-02-05 9:28 AM..............................

1 So you don't consider the BOE Governor credible? 8-) ..........

2 Seeing as he agrees that the UK will boom once Lockdown is over B-).........

3 Looks like your LOSER surrender duck will soon be getting torpedoed by Brexit Blighty Duck >:-) .........

1 He is the governor of the BoE, the Central Bank of the UK. Can you imagine the impact on the £ if Bailey said what I said above? He has to be very circumspect in what he says in public. The merest hint that he foresees trouble would have the £ falling like a brick. Central bank governors just never say such things. So is he credible? Yes, very. Is he going to reveal what the BoE forecasts for the UK economy really say, warts and all? No. Look at the charts the BBC has reproduced, and decide for yourself what they say. Doesn't look like a boom to me!

2 As I said above, relatively short term post Covid consumer-led boom. That is uncontentious and widely expected.

It is the longer term, when the post Covid benefits from relaxing lockdown have been absorbed, that the poo will go into the fan.

"Britain’s budget watchdog estimated borrowing would be 394 billion pounds ($526 billion) in the 2020/21 financial year that began in April, slightly more than it predicted in August.

At 19% of gross domestic product, the deficit will be almost double its level after the global financial crisis which took nearly a decade of unpopular spending squeezes to work down." (Reuters, Nov 25 2020 -, and it's increased since then, and is still increasing.). How do you expect that to be managed?

It is widely acknowledged that the UK took 10 years to recover from the 2008 financial crash. That means that by 2018 the UK economy had only recovered to its pre-2008 size. It does not mean the economy had made back the growth lost over those 10 years. Covid is not a financial crash, so the recovery should be quicker, but the recession is, as above, almost twice that of 2008.

But, we hadn't left the EU in 2008, so the impacts of that are likely to begin to bite as the post-Covid recovery begins to get under way. Did you note that Andrew Bailey (wisely) omitted mention of such indelicate details?

So, you boom if you want to, I think you're just unicorn chasing again! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2021-02-05 7:49 PM

3 Looks like your LOSER surrender duck will soon be getting torpedoed by Brexit Blighty Duck >:-) .........

1 He is the governor of the BoE, the Central Bank of the UK. Can you imagine the impact on the £ if Bailey said what I said above? He has to be very circumspect in what he says in public. The merest hint that he foresees trouble would have the £ falling like a brick. Central bank governors just never say such things. So is he credible? Yes, very. Is he going to reveal what the BoE forecasts for the UK economy really say, warts and all? No. Look at the charts the BBC has reproduced, and decide for yourself what they say. Doesn't look like a boom to me!

2 As I said above, relatively short term post Covid consumer-led boom. That is uncontentious and widely expected.

It is the longer term, when the post Covid benefits from relaxing lockdown have been absorbed, that the poo will go into the fan.

"Britain’s budget watchdog estimated borrowing would be 394 billion pounds ($526 billion) in the 2020/21 financial year that began in April, slightly more than it predicted in August.

At 19% of gross domestic product, the deficit will be almost double its level after the global financial crisis which took nearly a decade of unpopular spending squeezes to work down." (Reuters, Nov 25 2020 -, and it's increased since then, and is still increasing.). How do you expect that to be managed?

It is widely acknowledged that the UK took 10 years to recover from the 2008 financial crash. That means that by 2018 the UK economy had only recovered to its pre-2008 size. It does not mean the economy had made back the growth lost over those 10 years. Covid is not a financial crash, so the recovery should be quicker, but the recession is, as above, almost twice that of 2008.

But, we hadn't left the EU in 2008, so the impacts of that are likely to begin to bite as the post-Covid recovery begins to get under way. Did you note that Andrew Bailey (wisely) omitted mention of such indelicate details?

If you don't mind Brian ;-) ...........

I think I'd prefer to believe the Blah Blah of someone who knows what he's talking about >:-) ........

(lol) (lol) (lol) .............

pelmetman - 2021-02-06 9:18 AM

I think I'd prefer to believe the Blah Blah of someone who knows what he's talking about >:-) ........

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55939857 (lol) (lol) (lol) .............

Dave, he is not the Governor of the Bank of England, he is Jes Staley, the American CEO of Barclays, i.e. an investment banker.

He was speaking about the financial services so called industry, and its prospects. He represents exactly the kind of large scale, corporatist, thinking you have previously derided. His world is not the world of the honourable company of pelmet and curtain makers and and pouffe stuffers, or all those other small businesses you have previously tried to champion. You aren't on his radar.

If you actually read the article you've linked to (maybe just for once! :-D) you'll see that his judgement of what is good relates to the City of London and its financial services sector which, if it does well from Brexit - which it might - he thinks will benefit the whole economy merely by being in London and attracting a lot of capital inflows - which it might.

Whether any of that benefits the wider economy will depend on where those inflows go, and whether they achieve any more than increasing numbers of foreign investors buying up UK companies and setting up UK subsidiaries. IMO too much of "our" industry is already foreign owned, and is run for the benefit not of the UK, but of its owners - predominantly foreign shareholders, offshore venture capital companies, and sovereign wealth funds.

So, forgive me for being a sceptic, but as CEO of Barclays (a notoriously dodgy bank) I wouldn't trust his view of what is in the best interests of the UK any further than I could throw you! :-D

Here's a little primer for you on Barclays from Wiki: https://tinyurl.com/y86egk97 I suggest you look carefully at the long list of its past misdemeanours in section 4 and decide how far you want to hitch your wagon the their horse. Leopard and spots? :-D

But silly me! I'm forgetting. He said something favourable about Brexit, so he's now your new best mate! How fickle, how very fickle. :-D

(lol) (lol) (lol) .............

Hilarious.......I see Brian has skewered you yet again. (lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2021-02-06 1:17 PM

Dave, he is not the Governor of the Bank of England, he is Jes Staley, the American CEO of Barclays, i.e. an investment banker.

He was speaking about the financial services so called industry, and its prospects. He represents exactly the kind of large scale, corporatist, thinking you have previously derided. His world is not the world of the honourable company of pelmet and curtain makers and and pouffe stuffers, or all those other small businesses you have previously tried to champion. You aren't on his radar.

If you actually read the article you've linked to (maybe just for once! :-D) you'll see that his judgement of what is good relates to the City of London and its financial services sector which, if it does well from Brexit - which it might - he thinks will benefit the whole economy merely by being in London and attracting a lot of capital inflows - which it might.

Whether any of that benefits the wider economy will depend on where those inflows go, and whether they achieve any more than increasing numbers of foreign investors buying up UK companies and setting up UK subsidiaries. IMO too much of "our" industry is already foreign owned, and is run for the benefit not of the UK, but of its owners - predominantly foreign shareholders, offshore venture capital companies, and sovereign wealth funds.

So, forgive me for being a sceptic, but as CEO of Barclays (a notoriously dodgy bank) I wouldn't trust his view of what is in the best interests of the UK any further than I could throw you! :-D

Here's a little primer for you on Barclays from Wiki: https://tinyurl.com/y86egk97 I suggest you look carefully at the long list of its past misdemeanours in section 4 and decide how far you want to hitch your wagon the their horse. Leopard and spots? :-D

But silly me! I'm forgetting. He said something favourable about Brexit, so he's now your new best mate! How fickle, how very fickle. :-D

Giggle :D ..........

It's funny how you LOSERS are turning on those who dare to say Brexit will do wonders for the UK (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

BTW.......I once did a job at one of his predecessors gaff near Hyde Park....... in his walk in wardrobe ;-) .........

I asked the bloke who was working there fitting lots of little draws what he was doing?.........He said they were sock draws 8-) ..........

It seems when your really rich......you have draws for your pair of socks rather than a draw for your pairs of socks :D .......

pelmetman - 2021-02-06 6:48 PM

Brian Kirby - 2021-02-06 1:17 PM

Giggle :D ..........

It's funny how you LOSERS are turning on those who dare to say Brexit will do wonders for the UK (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Just man up and have the backbone to admit you got skewered.........yet again! All because you never READ the links you post! As for the rest of your tripe.......just more deflectionary waffle because you haven't got the guts to admit you'd got it all wrong and Brian rightly called you out on it! (lol)(lol)

pelmetman - 2021-02-06 6:48 PM...........................It's funny how you LOSERS are turning on those who dare to say Brexit will do wonders for the UK (lol) (lol) (lol) ......................

You just don't get it, do you Dave? :-) No-one is "turning on" anyone. I can't speak for others who think staying in the EU would have been a better decision. But I reached my conclusion based on two lines of enquiry, based on a simple, underlying, truth. I can't "turn on" Brexiters, therefore, because I have never been of them. I have always opposed their, IMO, ill-judged decision.

First, that underlying truth. A country can only provide a reasonable standard of living for the greatest number of its population if it has a thriving economy. That, for me, is fundamental and undeniable.

So, on that basis, I looked as far as I could for economic forecasts in favour of, and against, Brexit. Among the "serious" economists I found a broad consensus, argued from a variety of standpoints, in favour of remain, and only one economist (Patrick Minford) arguing in favour of Brexit. The outlier might be proved right, but his arguments are largely political and are roundly challenged by almost every other economist, with worked forecasts showing the flaws in his arguments.

Next, I looked for arguments in favour of Brexit that were backed by solid knowledge. All I could find were assertions and blandishments from any number of people, most of whom were politically motivated in terms of disliking all forms of internationalism, favouring unrestrained free trade, and playing the nationalistic "free Britannia" card without any reference to the probable economic impacts of leaving.

Few, if any, of the main "players" have educational or career achievements likely to inform their opinions on the economics of Brexit. Although a few have economics degrees (including a few PPEs), rather more studied history, accountancy, engineering, English, etc. while none have pursued careers in economics.

They come, in general, from careers in journalism, the law, the military, and "the City". Almost all were involved in politics from a very early age (some even while at secondary school!), the majority being more or less life-long Conservatives. I don't hold their Conservatism against them, just that so few have made a political journey to Conservatism, so haven't demonstrated any capacity for objective, analytical, thinking. They absorbed Conservatism from their mothers milk, and have never questioned it. They seem simply to stick unquestioningly in their own echo chamber. Almost all have forsaken their careers to enter politics, which unkindly suggests to me that they perhaps didn't excel. They appear as an odd mix essentially of romantics, reaching for a misty eyed view of the UK and the world before WW2, if ever. Biggles, Swallows and Amazons, the Boys' Own Paper, and all that stuff.

So, being profoundly underwhelmed by the Brexiters, and far more convinced by the pro-remain economists, I concluded that the better course for the UK was to remain.

The Brexit argument was lost, for me, at a point way before the referendum, and I have seen nothing since to persuade me that my conclusion was wrong. In fact, the performance of the present government in handling the Brexit negotiations, the transition planning, and especially the Covid epidemic, has persuaded me that the instincts that guide these people are dangerously detached from reality.

The clue to this lies in the extent to which the word "unprecedented" has been employed as a fig-leaf for false steps in handling Covid. The cry has been "there isn't a road map for this, so excuse us if we've lost our way". Dealing with the "unprecedented" is what governments are for. People who run around saying "what did we do last time?" are fundamentally unsuited to high office. They are hopelessly hobbled by their confirmation bias. Their instincts pull them, as moths to the flame, toward libertarianism, preventing their brains from computing the stark evidence that it offers only worse outcomes. So we get undeliverable announcements, delay, dither, and confusion, driven by a fear of necessary restriction compounded by a premature rush to relax restrictions that have been imposed.

We are all shackled to the same wagon. Calling those who chose to remain "losers" implies that there are, or will be, winners. At present we are all losing, and no-one is winning. The task for the Brexiters now and in the future is turn that around and prove themselves right. I hope history proves you right, because otherwise all we shall have achieved is continuing loss. We shall return to the economic position the UK was in before we joined the EEC in 1973, and being in that economic position was exactly what drove us to join. Plus ça change, eh? :-D

Great post Brian though Pelmet won't cope with all those words. Being 'dangerously detached from reality' in his little Brexit echo chamber makes me think Brexiteers were never 'attached' to reality anyway, certainly in Pelmets case. :-|

Boys Own paper......blimey that took me back!! In fact I think it was possibly the first weekly my parents allowed me. Looking at the wiki page on it's history I can see why they chose it as 'suitable reading'! Biggles of course was every boys hero....after all he 'won' the war every week! (lol)

Seems to me the people shouting the word "Loser" constantly are people who have never "won" anything in their entire lives. Brexit was seen as some Victory for the "people" to them and Johnson getting elected to deliver it the icing on the cake. In their minds its all about finally winning something. The fact that it will ultimately be them that loses does not enter their heads.

All very sad and bizarre.

True, which is very sad on both counts. I agree. We have to be the "losers", so that they can be the "winners". I also agree that the present indications are that as tie passes all those "winners" will end up losing in terms of unemployment and standard of living. If the consequences of that eventually drive governments to set about fixing the real problems that leave so many dissatisfied it may have been worthwhile. Otherwise, I think we're all in for a vey bumpy ride over the next decade or so!

Brian Kirby - 2021-02-09 2:12 PM

True, which is very sad on both counts. I agree. We have to be the "losers", so that they can be the "winners". I also agree that the present indications are that as time passes all those "winners" will end up losing in terms of unemployment and standard of living. If the consequences of that eventually drive governments to set about fixing the real problems that leave so many dissatisfied it may have been worthwhile. Otherwise, I think we're all in for a vey bumpy ride over the next decade or so!

That's already happening Brian with thousands of job losses and some will no doubt see their homes repossessed. Brexit headbangers like Pelmet don't give a flying fig though and spouts off on here about how everyone will be better off with Brexit, but can't explain how the loss of 68% of exports to EU is a 'benefit' and neither has he got the guts to face workers about to lose their jobs and tell them how much better off they will be. :-|

pelmetman - 2021-02-09 2:43 PM

Brian Kirby - 2021-02-07 1:01 PM

I hope history proves you right,

Fibber (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

What, you really think I want years of imposed austerity and reduced living standards as a result of your vanity project? It wasn't my idea, remember, that's what I meant about the difference between accepting something, and agreeing with it. This has to work. Otherwise, I see trouble ahead!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2021-02-09 4:11 PM

pelmetman - 2021-02-09 2:43 PM

Brian Kirby - 2021-02-07 1:01 PM

I hope history proves you right,

Fibber (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

What, you really think I want years of imposed austerity and reduced living standards as a result of your vanity project? It wasn't my idea, remember, that's what I meant about the difference between accepting something, and agreeing with it. This has to work. Otherwise, I see trouble ahead!

Given the massive amount of Furlough Dough sat in peoples bank accounts, and knowing that anyone with a trade is booked solid, coupled with the FACT that our Greenhouse company has extended their delivery times from 18 too 30 weeks 8-) .........

I'm confident Brexit Blighty will be first out of the starting blocks once the Pandemic is under control B-) ......

Which means we prolly wont be using Horace this year until October at the earliest ;-) ..........

As UK campsites will be rammed 8-) ..........

Archived