DVLA and VOSA!

Guest JudgeMental

Speedometers on modern UK-registered vehicles need to carry mph AND km/h scales. This requirement for dual scales seems peculiar to the UK and it's equally possible that 'Continental' regulations insist on a single km/h scale. While a dual scale sounds logical (and would avoid the need to mess around with speedos on LHD imports), in practice the secondary scale offers little genuine value to the driver. The tiny km/h numbering on my 1996 Transit-based Herald's speedo was in red and indecipherable while driving. I'm near certain that speedometer replacement dials/overlays are unavailable off-the-shelf for post-2000 Transits, but there are firms that can custom-make them. I recall being quoted around £50 when I researched this 2 years ago.

The clear outer covers on modern headlight units provide weather protection only. As the covers play no part in beam direction they are the same whichever way the reflectors behind them cause the lights to dip and, as a result, the covers don't need to be 'arrow marked'. Because of this, the dip-direction marking will normally be elsewhere on the light unit. On my 2005 Transit-based Hobby's lights, the direction is indicated via an adhesive label stuck on the lights' upper surface and only discernible when the bonnet is open.

To the best of my knowledge no imported LHD motorhome that retains the original base-vehicle cab and headlamps will have a dipped-headlight beam pattern that meets (or can be altered to meet) UK registration requirements. If you want to be legal the only realistic option is to replace the original 'right-dipping' headlights with left-dipping equivalents.

(There's lots of earlier detailed forum stuff on imports speedo/lights. Searching on Keywords = speedometer, Filter by author = Derek Uzzell and Date limit = All posts will bring up some of it.)

Brambles - 2007-03-30 11:26 PM Peter, is your vehicle over 10 years old? ....................Something else people are getting confused with when dicussing importing a vehicle - Motorhomes are Exempt from certain requirements. e.g Headlights do not have to be permanently modified for left dipping, beam benders are acceptable. ................... J.

Jon

Where do you get this information?  The DoT booklet P15, "How to Import a Vehicle into Great Britain" (April 2004 edition) states (p11) "Headlamps will need to be replaced or adjusted to produce the required dipped beam for left-hand traffic.  The alignment must be met without the use of masks, beam converters or adapters unless they are an intgral part of an approved headlamp." (The underlining is mine.)

It seems this will now be independently verified by VOSA.

Is there a later edition of P15 that changes this requirement in respect of motorhomes, or is there another document that contradicts or supercedes it?  Thanks.

Guest JudgeMental

Just had a look under the bonnet and light unit has a sticker on with RH/LHD

so maybe they are switchable...

or at least interchangeable units rather then whole light cluster

Hello Judge,

I seem to remember that the Hella Light Units fitted to some commercial base vehicles are/were "switchable" by removing the light unit and repositioning it using different bolt hole positions. This, as I remember it, was featured in an article in a motor caravan magazine dealing with changing the standard light units on a Ducato to the Hella versions.

Sorry not sure which mag it was. A call to Hella may give more details.

Regards,

Mike.

JudgeMental: Assuming you've described the sticker exactly, then I believe you'll find it refers to a light-unit suitable for fitting on the right-hand side of a LHD vehicle. On that basis the other light-unit should carry a sticker with "LH/LHD" on it. On my 2005 Transit-based Hobby the clear cover of the left-hand (UK "nearside") headlight-unit has "LH" moulded into its outer surface, while the cover of the right-hand (UK "offside") light carries "RH". But, the separate stickers reveal whether the light units are suitable for UK or Continental traffic norms. I'm doubtful that you'll be able to do anything to obtain a left-dipping beam pattern except replace both units, but hopefully you'll prove me wrong.

Mike: The Hella 'light cluster' you refer to is a customising product marketed for the last version of Ducato. As far as I'm aware it was never fitted as OE to the base commercial chassis though it was offered as an option by some motorhome manufacturers (eg. Autocruise). As you say, the lights could be tweaked to left- or right-dipping pattern. Search forum on "Hella" and there's a posting titled "head lights" (dated 19/01/2006) that delves deeply into the subject.

Guest JudgeMental

inspection booked for next Tuesday

DVLA are absolutely useless - I won' t go into detail but enough to say if they had to get real jobs in the commercial world they wound not last 5 minutes!

if all goes well next week may get away for a few days in France - will have to wait and see.

I will say this as an example: chap at DVLA keeps on about having to measure the vehicle / has never heard of a EuraMobil/ why is it not on a peuguot chassis etc - absolutely crazy!

I explain to him he has the invoice, the COC etc... and what he is saying is rubbish - so he said in that case I can wait 3 weeks as he is doing me a favour seeing camper next week....

maybe they have shares in Brownhills?

JudgeMental - 2007-04-03 6:20 PM

I will say this as an example: chap at DVLA keeps on about having to measure the vehicle / has never heard of a EuraMobil/ why is it not on a peuguot chassis etc - absolutely crazy!

I explain to him he has the invoice, the COC etc... and what he is saying is rubbish - so he said in that case I can wait 3 weeks as he is doing me a favour seeing camper next week....

Hi JM,

I hope you asked for his name, his boss' name, and the Director's name?

Oh yeah, it might help if you mention your MPs name. Just to concentrate his mind, you understand.

In my day at DVLC (1972 -1984), a written question from an MP cost the Department about £100 to provide an official answer. So even if you don't like the answer, you might feel better.

There was the story of the woman who complained about insolence. The person answering the phone had said "Driver Enquiry, you nit!

Judgmental,

Sorry for not answering your question sooner, but just back from a trip.

It is now standard practice for all personally imported motorhomes to be checked. According to information from recent importers, this check has nothing to do with compliance with UK Construction & Use and Lighting Regulations, though they may, of course, look at them. It is certainly NOT a SVA test, which continues to be optional for ALL imported motorhomes (even those from outside the EU).

It started as a way of stopping a scam operated for some time by a number of mainly East European syndicates. Full details of the scam now escape me, but the check is intended to ensure that the vehicle for which registration is being sought, and the physical vehcile actually match up.

If they do comment on any non-compliance with C&U and Lighting Regs, you should be able to put these right and then return for a further check, but, so far, I have not heard of anyone affected in this way.

Mel E

====

Guest JudgeMental
Mel E - 2007-04-04 7:59 PM

but, so far, I have not heard of anyone affected in this way.

Mel E

====

Thanks Mel! I hope this is what happens and we can get away Tuesday night and salvage something of our Easter break - Honfleur here we come!

At least with inspection now at DVLA if everything goes OK Documents will be issued there and then then nip around to Halfords for plates and away!

Mel E - 2007-04-04 7:59 PM Judgmental, Sorry for not answering your question sooner, but just back from a trip. It is now standard practice for all personally imported motorhomes to be checked. According to information from recent importers, this check has nothing to do with compliance with UK Construction & Use and Lighting Regulations, though they may, of course, look at them. It is certainly NOT a SVA test, which continues to be optional for ALL imported motorhomes (even those from outside the EU). It started as a way of stopping a scam operated for some time by a number of mainly East European syndicates. Full details of the scam now escape me, but the check is intended to ensure that the vehicle for which registration is being sought, and the physical vehcile actually match up. If they do comment on any non-compliance with C&U and Lighting Regs, you should be able to put these right and then return for a further check, but, so far, I have not heard of anyone affected in this way. Mel E ====

Mel

Hope you had a good trip?  Re the above, I've been searching for info on the Government web sites without success.  Could you paste a link, or isn't there one?  I just want to bookmark it for reference, and to keep the information up to date.

Many thanks.

Guest JudgeMental

Just back from DVLA and got a knock back on the speedo!

went straight to Ford dealer and ordered one @ £198 including the dreaded.

not a bad price as this is for the whole cluster, including rev counter and centre digital computer etc. This was avoidable as it was the Ford dealer that told me to stick bits on speedo - I should not have listened to him and gone ahead and ordered it last week as I intended to change it later anyway. may have to wait 2 weeks as none in stock.

DVLA said no need to bring camper back just show them the receipt for the work .so may try and present bill to them tomorrow saying I will fit it myself and see if that works :-D

A bit disappointed but what the hell its going to be a long hot summer!

Eddie

Sorry about the speedo, but as you say the price isn't that bad.

Can you say a bit more about the inspection, so others can prepare as and when? 

Who did it and where? 

What, apart from the speedo, did they check? 

Had you replaced, or masked, the headlights?

What about the rear light clusters, esp the rear fog light?

What did it cost?

Does the test station communicate directly with DVLA, or do they give you a chit to hand in?

Anything else you can think of?

Thanks

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Brian,

there was no charge. In the end it was carried out at DVLA office Wimbledon not VOSA. this was because tester at VOSA had left and not been replaced.

chap with a hi-vi and clip board looked for vin on chassis - then speedo and that was it!

no interest in head lights or fog light which has been moved.

to be honest I should have gone to the Sidcup office which is a little further but a lot smaller. when I went there before they did not even look at vehicle but previously at Wimbledon they insisted on seeing it.

I think they are clueless and disorganised and its purely the luck of the draw. chap on MHF forum had his inspection on the 5th but hasn't bothered posting back - must presume his went OK and he has got away!

considering my bank account is nearly 10k better of and moneys in my hands and not Brownhills:-D :-D :-D I am still more then happy with the situation.

Will get a week away Witsun instead and a couple of weekends before then....

went to the weighbridge before inspection - think this will need another thread :-D

Guest JudgeMental

Well just back from DVLA & Halfords with new plates!

My cunning ploy worked, as Ford dealer issued a receipt for work on Saturday (although speedo on back order) This was enough to satisfy DVLA that work had been done.

So got there in the end...

Guest JudgeMental
W3526602 - 2007-04-16 4:22 PM

Do they penalise you by 10% if you cancel an order correctly supplied? 8-)

You are very naughty 602!

I fear it will not be long until you appear before me....

better get your coat :-D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental

back from Ford dealer this morning and everything went without a hitch.

speedo change over only took 2omins it was the software side that took a little time. very interesting to watch...

had bought headlight defenders and sticky bits from Halfords, garage said not to bother so I didn't - will wait till pulled or for MOT in 3 years!

I have a Ford focus and the lights on that have a significant slant to the left BUT camper head lights appear to have an equal forward beam.

definitive way to tell is to visit an MOT center...

Any way, of on inaugural trip next weekend and France for a week following bank holiday.

Archived