Video dash cameras

ChrisD

I've got 3 Nextbase cameras, 2 in the car and 1 in the van. The top 5 best buy dash cams according to 'Which' are:

Nextbase 422GW 77% £119.95 View all retailers Reviewed Jun 2019 It might not be cheap but our tests found that the Nextbase 422GW is totally worth its price. This compact dash cam manages to pull off sharp and clear footage, an enviable roster of features and it’s easy to use. It’s no wonder this is the highest-scoring model in Nextbase’s new Series 2 range.

Nextbase 622GW 76% £219.00 View all retailers Reviewed Oct 2020 This Nextbase dash cam is among the highest scoring we've ever tested. It has many of the bells and whistles you'd expect at this price, from 4K recording and wi-fi connectivity to a setting that alerts emergency services of your location if you get into an accident. But does it succeed where most dash cams fail – low light recording?

Nextbase 222 74% £64.95 View all retailers Reviewed Jun 2019 If you’re looking for a dash cam that does a good job for a reasonable price, you’ve met your mate with the Nextbase 222. It’s a good value dash cam that produces sharp and clear recordings. Not to mention that it’s a breeze to set up and use - we’re definitely impressed. It might not have all the bells and whistles you’ll find on the 422GW, but it’s impressive nonetheless.

Vantrue N4 3-Channel Dash Cam 70% £229.99 View all retailers Reviewed Oct 2020 This is the first Vantrue model we’ve put through its paces in our dash cam test lab – and it doesn’t disappoint, with great image quality in both daytime and low light conditions. It’s pricey for a dash cam, but it comes with three wide-angle lenses, capturing footage in front of, behind and inside the vehicle. If you’re looking for maximum video coverage, the Vantrue N4 is the dash cam for you.

In the car i use a nextbase 512gw which with a reasonable size sd card records about 4 hrs in 1-5min loops and over records previous recordings unless it has been saved by gshock sensor or pressing button, the quality of the recordings is excellant and there is an app you can use on a laptop to show where you have been etc.

In the Motorhome I have an all purpose Aguri which is a brilliant dashcam and sat nav with lots of specific points like campsites etc as well as can be used as tablet, it is a bit slow to start up, but in the MH who cares!

https://aguriworld.co.uk/product-category/motorhome-caravan/

I have a Transcend Drive-Pro camera that I have been very happy with. I fitted a mount in both the MH and my car, and simply swap it between the two vehicles as necessary, as I can't drive both at the same time. Length of recording is determined by the size of memory card fitted, but it automatically overwrites the oldest recordings continuously once the card is full. Recordings automatically saved in emergency mode, due to deceleration or "impact" detection (which can include driving over some potholes) are protected from being automatically overwritten, as are recordings manually selected by the driver, which save a video for a specified time interval before and after the button on the camera is pressed.

One thing to be aware of with dashcams that utilise or have a wi-fi communications facility. Whilst not necessarily an issue in current Sevel vans, there have been instances in cars fitted with City-Safe and other collision avoidance systems, where the vehicle brakes have been applied suddenly without warning and for no apparent reason, because of interference with the onboard sensors. Volvo advise that such camera systems should not be fitted to vehicles that have camera and radar modules behind the windscreen for controlling onboard collision avoidance and automatic cruise control safety systems.

Although my camera has a wi-fi facility allowing it to be configured by, and recordings to be viewed, saved or deleted from a smartphone app, I keep it de-activated in the camera settings.

I have Nextbase 512gw cameras in two vehicles and pleased with the performance which couple of Roadhawks .

For some reason Roadhawk did not reply to my emails concerning some questions about problems I was experiencing.

It pays to format the card once a month just to check all is working as it should. Like a lot of things in life, the only time you need reliability, it’s not reliable;-)

Regs

ChrisD - 2021-02-28 12:47 PM

Good afternoon

Can anyone please recommend decent Video dash cameras.

Budget isn't necessarily the prime consideration but picture quality and duration of recording is.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Hi Chris

We've had a "Blackvue" system permanently fixed to our Hymer for a number of years now.

No issues with this system, if needs be, you can log in via your phone to the internal "Wifi" to download any recordings.

Alternately, you can take out the micro SD card and download anything to your laptop.

I suppose the downside is that it's a fixed system - hard wired- and if we want to exchange our vehicle, we would have to leave it in the vehicle

Hope this gives another option to you.

Has anyone got any suggestions re fitting the cam? I have just purchased the Nextbase 522 and wiring kit but cannot find anywhere to fit it that does not impede the Remis blind. By the way gogle 522 red bundle the camera and wire kit is £120

polo - 2021-03-02 9:42 AM

Has anyone got any suggestions re fitting the cam? I have just purchased the Nextbase 522 and wiring kit but cannot find anywhere to fit it that does not impede the Remis blind. By the way gogle 522 red bundle the camera and wire kit is £120

You don't say what van you have, and I'm not familiar with the Nextbase, but assuming a Sevel van without an internal rear view mirror, what I did was to remove the cap covering the mirror mounting at top centre of the windscreen, and fix the screen mount for my dashcam to the cover cap with grab adhesive and a screw. I then fitted the cap back to the windscreen. The dashcam mounting arm projects through the gap for the mirror arm in my Remis blinds and the camera itself is set far enough back to allow the blinds to close in front of it.

The picture isn't of my van, but someone else has had a similar idea, although utilising a rear view mirror arm rather than the cover cap that I mounted mine to.

499438268_REMISBLINDSSHUT3.jpg.e58d55f58fa09d862dd1dcda8c1ec44d.jpg

Another alternative.

If it doesn't fit behind the blinds, then you could look at fitting to roof or on top of dash. We have a Thinkware which is reasonably compact and fits behind our blind, but maybe not yours, the Blackvue IIRC fits very close to screen, and I think both can be mounted on dash.

I have a stick on flat plate for suction mounts stuck to the dash board and the camera mounts to that, so nowhere near the windscreen. As it is a suction mount easy to remove the camera if it is in the way

Halfords sell them for sat navs (£3)

• 5 months later...
I’ve been using dash cameras in car and MH for many years. Started with a cheapo thing off EBay but soon realised that quality counts and have stuck with Nextbase ever since. The cameras don’t last for ever and neither do the micro sd cards they need but prices have come down and it makes sense for me to have one in each vehicle permanently rather than have to swap around. Likewise I really only want reliable, automatic recording on the move so the Nextbase 322 does all I need. I can tolerate the dangling cable so I don’t bother trying to hard wire the installation, just use the cigar lighter socket.

Deneb - 2021-03-01 9:46 AM

Although my camera has a wi-fi facility ...... I keep it de-activated in the camera settings.

That seems to be a good policy whenever you have wi-fi you are not using

I have a Medion TV from Aldi that suddenly started continually freezing, shutting down and re starting.

Thought I would have to return it, (which would have been a pain as I have discarded the packaging) but sent them an email and got the solution.

Although I never used the TV wifi, it was still activated and apparently picking up something that made it freeze.

After de activating the wi-fi in settings it works a treat again :-D

Nextbase cameras are very good but their Achilles Heel is battery life. The way to avoid premature battery failure is to set the camera up to go dark after a minute or so. If anyone has one that they believe has failed, just find a replacement battery (plenty online) and fit it. You will need to solder the connections but it is a simple enough job.

747 - 2021-08-14 1:21 PM

Nextbase cameras are very good but their Achilles Heel is battery life. The way to avoid premature battery failure is to set the camera up to go dark after a minute or so. If anyone has one that they believe has failed, just find a replacement battery (plenty online) and fit it. You will need to solder the connections but it is a simple enough job.

You are supposed to run them off the vehicle battery when the engine is running.

John52 - 2021-08-14 10:21 PM

You are supposed to run them off the vehicle battery when the engine is running.

Yes that is correct.

747 - 2021-08-15 8:02 AM

John52 - 2021-08-14 10:21 PM

Yes that is correct.

Only thing I use it on the battery for is if I take it off to format the memory card which you are supposed to do now and again. You could do it in situ but its not as convenient.

Why do you think battery life is important?

When they are trying to make it light enough to stick to the windscreen with a suction cup why would they fit a hefty battery that is not used?

John52 - 2021-08-15 8:32 AM

Only thing I use it on the battery for is if I take it off to format the memory card which you are supposed to do now and again. You could do it in situ but its not as convenient.

Why do you think battery life is important?

When they are trying to make it light enough to stick to the windscreen with a suction cup why would they fit a hefty battery that is not used?

The internal battery maintains the clock and other settings when the vehicle is not being driven and the dashcam is powered off. It's not a hefty battery, they are a similar size to those in iPods and similar devices. My Transcend cam suffered a failure a few months ago due to a failed internal battery, probably due to the amount of time that my car had been sitting unused during lockdowns. I can't say if all different makes of dashcam are the same, but on mine if the internal battery fails and won't accept a charge, the camera fails to work completely. I sourced a new battery from eBay and fitted it, which involves breaking and remaking solder connections on the circuit board inside.

I now make a point of taking the dashcam out of the car and putting it on a USB charger for an hour or so if the car hasn't or is not going to be driven for a while. If you have a dashcam fitted solely to a motorhome that spends large periods of time parked up, or similarly in a car left idle when the MH is in use, it could be susceptible to similar failures.

I had a sudden Nextbase dash cam failure recently and contacted Nextbase for possible repair. The first thing they did was ask me to test the internal battery capacity by charging on a usb lead for a full two hours and then timing how long the dash cam stayed powered on after disconnection - which in my case was 20 mins, which they said was good. But the fault was elsewhere (the Mode button had stopped functioning) and it was out of warranty but was not repairable. They gave a 20% discount on a replacement, which I thought was pretty good. (The fault suddenly developed after the car had been valeted, so I suspect something was sprayed a bit too liberally on the camera.)

The reason for asking me to test the battery capacity as a first step was presumably because battery failure is common and they can easily offer replacement. My camera had been in regular use, plugged into the cigar socket for well over two years so the test result of a good battery seems to me to have been encouraging. Just a pity about the enthusiastic squirting by the valeter.

StuartO - 2021-08-15 10:18 AM

I suspect something was sprayed a bit too liberally on the camera.)

Yes I discovered you have to be careful what you spray on the dash. :$

I used spray dashboard cleaner/polish on the Ducato touchscreen radio and it went haywire. I only got it working again by disconnecting the van battery overnight and cleaning the touchscreen with meths.

Archived