Cupboard door falling off!!

mags

Hi All, here I am again asking for help !! Thanks to you I have sorted out the fuses on the motorhome but now I have a problem that I really don't know where to go next!!

One of the doors from the cupboard under my kitchen worktop fell off as I was driving yesterday. The door in question fastens with a magnetic catch at the top so it is not one that is particularly strong. The problem is that the screws have come out of the side of the cupboard, not the door, - the wood seems to have split between the screwholes as well. I screwed them back in when I arrived on site but before I arrived home today the door had fallen off again!! The screws had something wrapped round them as if they were packed - looks like someone has made an emergency repair (??!!!).

My expertise(?) in DIY tells me to put something like wood filler in the holes and then when it has set put the screws in. Wouyld it work or would I make a problem even worse ? I don't put much in the cupboard at the best of times put now I can't use it at all.

Hope you can help.

Elaine

I dont think wood filler would do. I think your best answer would be fitting another piece of wood ontop of the holes and refitting the door to it. Or just move the hinges up or down.

I am only a woman like yourself so you will probably get a more technical explanation from the more experienced motorhomers.

Guest peter

If it's ripped some wood out, get some Epoxy putty from B&Q or the like. Mix it and push it in the holes. It set as hard as a rock. Then screw the hinge on, but don't tighten it right up. When the Epoxy is set (about 4 hrs) tighten the screws up a bit more , but not fully. The next day tighten right up and they should be firm. Remove the hinges from the door first so you don't have any weight on the hinges.

If no wood has been ripped out, squirt some Superglue in the holes and screw the hinges back on fairly tight, then leave overnight to set before putting door back on. If it works nobody will know they've been off, especially when you trade up.

Guest starspirit
Having repaired the door with epoxy or similar and screwed the hinge on, prior to it setting, I would be inclined to clamp the damaged door firmly enough to press it back into the correct shape but no so tight that it squeezes all the gunge out. A vice, mole wrench or G cramp (using wood offcuts to spread the load and prevent marking should do the trick and I would leave it overnight to really set hard.

Guest peter
starspirit - 2007-04-01 9:58 PM

Having repaired the door with epoxy or similar and screwed the hinge on, prior to it setting, I would be inclined to clamp the damaged door firmly enough to press it back into the correct shape but no so tight that it squeezes all the gunge out. A vice, mole wrench or G cramp (using wood offcuts to spread the load and prevent marking should do the trick and I would leave it overnight to really set hard.

Good point about clamping Richard, well spotted.

Guest starspirit
Mel B - 2007-04-01 10:06 PM

Starspirit .. I don't think the motorhome will fit in a vice! (lol)

Maybe not Mel but you can fit plenty of vice into a Motorhome.

You should be able to do the following.

1. Rub PVA (White Glue) into the split and into the screw holes with your finger. This may take a minute or two and you may have to apply the glue in small amounts.

2. Pre-glue and gently tap a matchstick into each hole. Wipe off any surplus glue. Allow 24 hours for the glue to cure (set) and then trim off the surplus length with a chisel or a Stanley knife.

3.Reinsert the screws and tighten evenly to secure the hinge.

There are 100's of different hinges on the market. Some are designed to throw the door clear of the cabinet work. You do not say which type of hinge is fitted but in this case I do not think substitution of another type is necessary.

Guest starspirit
breakaleg - 2007-04-02 11:51 AM

how about using a piano hinge? you don't have to put all the screws in ,just where you want them

pete

Good possibility although can look out of place unless all the doors are similar.

If the hinge is to be in the closed flat position whilst in use the trick is to place the screws in every other hole and then place the opposing screws in the holes opposite the empty holes so that when it is flat the screws won't stop it closing by butting up against each other.

Well I know what I mean anyway!

Thanks everyone. I used plastic wood filler in the end it set quicker than the epoxy glue I could find. I left it to set for a couple of days and then drilled small holes for the screws. I've put the door back on - it seems firm enough so fingers crossed it will survive driving around!! :->

I tried to get epoxy but the local DIY shop only had stuff that took six hours to set or was instant and the chap behind the counter suggested I used the plastic wood as he thought that the hinges would move out of place in the time it took for the epoxy to set! I wasn't confident about using the one that set straight away!! The plastic wood set quicker than 6 hours. It seems to be ok so far, but knowing the way things are going at the moment I'll probably have to do it al again soon.

Archived