Hymer SLC Chassis Plant

Hans

Hans,

That is very interesting, it seems you are some kind of inside consultant on this. VB seem to rest on their laurels somewhat. I fitted VB to my Hymer after perusing Goldschmitt at an Abenteuer & Allrad show in Germany. There was nothing between the marques to support the significant apparent markup for Goldschmidtt products.

I have Ford Ranger Wildtrack that I want to drive from Malaysia to UK when Covid is over (if ever) but for several years VB have no product for this vehicle despite it (the vehicle) being a top seller with Toyota Hilux in all the important pick-up markets, globally. With a rooftop tent, fridge, gas, long range fuel tanks and storage drawers it is sorely needed. I cannot understand why their product is not available for such a worldwide popular vehicle.

VB's main strength is in the agricultural market, so I am still left wondering about any potential synergy with Hymer (unless you propose the buy-out in which case I say no more).

Curdie you will receive the Nobel price if you can reply to: Why a AL-Ko AMC axle bought new with air suspension is grease free. Also in case with the SLC level controller as an option.. It can save your live to not grease them yourselves.

This 2019 forum discussion about AL-KO AMC axle maintenance included comments from Monique (Hans’s partner)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Alko-axle-greasing/51959/#M606447

It was highlighted that AL-KO AMC axles with plain bearings require regular greasing, but - when the vehicle is factory-fitted with AL-KO’s air suspension - the axle has a needle-roller outer bearing and no maintenance is necessary. There seems to be no authoritative explanation as to why the ’needs regular greasing’ axle continued to be fitted after the ’no greasing necessary’ axle became available.

(I’ve no idea if the bearings of the axle used with the SLC chassis need regular greasing.)

i will come back later to this Derek but it will be Final when AL-Ko Agrees. Some topics: is the SLC axle the same as AMC.? About the stub ends entering the axle tube L/R.When on air they take 90 percent of the load in the airbags brackets. and the torsion bars left are just for keeping the stub ends fixed. jus two weak bars. instead of three heavy ones. That is the reason why it is grease free. the same goes for the level controller which is still a nice cheap option instead of air. Will be continued for the AL-Ko lovers.

I have three Videos ready from VB . But if the grease axle has to be removed it will cost you 2000 euro extra. Let it stay you can put a lot of grease for 2000 euro. Just a corona yoke to keep us happy. In case of a thirty Sputnik shot you will speak fluent Russian.

Archived