Fake DVLA emails

John52

Just received this - but checked online here

GENUINE DVLA LINK = https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

and my vehicle is still taxed.

I hovered my cursor over their link without clicking it.

THEIR FAKE EMAIL LINK = https//ip-92-205-27-118.ip.secureserver.net/file/ba316.php.

FAKE EMAIL BELOW - apparently sent from Coskuner@hotmail.co.uk

Driver and Vehicle - Gov.UK Coskuner@hotmail.co.uk

Tue, Mar 30, 5:27 PM (15 hours ago)

to (my email address) 20210330172725.2D43FC5DDEE3DCF8

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED EMAIL - Please do not reply as emails received at this address cannot be responded to.

dvla-logo - teissAmsterdam2020

Dear (my email address)

DVLA have been notified electronically about you latest payment for your vehicle tax failed because there is not enough money on you debit card.

Your vehicle is no longer taxed.

Pay now your tax vehicle

We have generated a new invoice, and we suggest you to use a credit card instead of a debit, to avoid any other consequences that might appear in case again won't be enough funds inside.

You may wish to save or print this email confirmation for your records.

Yours sincerely

Rohan Gye

Vehicles Service Manager

(End of fake email)

The poor grammar and spelling errors on that instantly suggest fake on that DVLA email.

However a few weeks ago I had a letter from MID (Motor Insurance Database) saying my car was not on their database and reminding me it was an offence to use a vehicle on the road without insurance (shock!), and any uninsured vehicles could incur severe penalties.

As it had been insured since December 2020 and I had the policy I called my insurance company and sure enough, it was not showing as insured! They were quite embarrassed, very apologetic, and corrected it immediately.

Archived