Update on Rapido cupboard/locker doors

keithzx12r

:-S Some of you will have read about the doors and locker joints on my new Rapido 7099F moving out of line. I wrote to My dealer and sent pics via recorded delivery two and a half weeks ago. Today I received a phone call from the dealer to say they have been in contact with Rapido in France and they have authorised replacement of all the affected doors and locker covers. This amounts to 19 items in total. In a way thats a result although being 260 miles away from the dealer will bring its own problems with getting the van there and the time it will take to replace the affected items. I think if i replace this van with another new one I would like to find a good dealer nearer to Cornwall - but I do like Rapidos - maybe the new Fluerette range will have a more local agent. I know they are part of the Rapido Group but as yet they are not being imported by Brownhills, only two other independent dealers by my enquiries. Keith

Keith

I sincerely hope they get the parts for you but just a few words of caution ...

Make sure the dealer checks EVERY door when they receive them BEFORE you make the trip to them, when we had some replacement drawer fronts sent to us they were badly damaged and we never did get satisfactory replacement. The dealer did try to claim that they were perfect when they sent them out but they certainly couldn't have been - there was no way they could've got damaged - badly scratched and gouged - when they had been wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap and then in cardboard ... especially when the packaging wasn't damamged in any way!

I'd certainly make sure they were very well checked first, for colour match as well, otherwise you might have an expensive trip for nothing ... make sure the dealer knows that if you do he'll end up paying you for your wasted journey!

Guest starspirit

Ask the dealer for a voucher for a tank full of fuel, and a couple of free site nights as recompense for your aggro - the worst he can say is no?

This is best done discreetly in the showroom to begin with but a little more loudly, but politely, if resistance is felt and works better if other customers are within earshot.

Try and watch while the work is done but if not try and creep into the workshops when no one is looking every now and then to check up on the extra damage they are inflicting on your pride and joy.

Cynical? Me? Never - realistic yes!

:-D Latest thing is the dealer wants me to measure all the affected items so they are sure they order the correct parts from Rapido. I reckon I'll ask them to collect the van when the bits come and return it to me when finished. OR - do you think that will mean me being without a van all summer? (?)

Good idea Keith. 

Just get them to agree to do that now, and when they say they're ready to go, get them to confirm they have all the necessary parts. 

If you have a digital camera, photograph the doors individually and send them as e-mail attachments or on a CD.  You should be able to re-caption the photos with their location, and size in centimeters (remember it's Rapido and they won't do feet and inches, or millimeters). 

Then, when the replacements arrive, they'll have a pictorial record of each door and its size to check against.  If you opted for a non-standard wood finish remember to point that out.

If you can face the journey, the dealer should really take responsibility for measuring, though.  You're doing some of his work for him!

B-) Right, I've measured all the affected items and photographed them all. Before emailing them I went into Photosuite and lettered each and every item alphabetically then gave a list of measurements with a description and marked letter for each item. Hope this works. Obviously this doesn't stop me using the van but I am a bit concerned that if they collect it it may be some while before they bring it back. Maybe better if I take it up and sit on their backs till its done. Or just swap it in for a new one! Lets see how long it takes them to get the parts - if the summers over then the problem doesn't exist. Keith

Archived