Coachbuilt v Van Conversion

Kez

Hi all,

I appreciate that this ‘old hat’ but I would appreciate anyone’s current advice regarding this issue please. For the last 6 years we have had a 6m long Burstner Coachbuilt and have enjoyed using it. Having previously had caravans this was a refreshing change especially when we used it for touring in Europe. However, apart from having to climb a ladder to get into bed (and not getting any younger) one of our recent concerns have been regarding the flexibility in being able to drive our vehicle on a daily basis, especially down narrow lanes, parking etc. We have collected a number of high level scratches from the many overhanging bushes and trees.

We have recently been away with our Burstner and took our small car with us which provided the flexibility that we needed on a daily basis for an isolated site surrounded by narrow roads. Some may suggest going back to a caravan (we have looked at compact caravans as an option) but we do love the compactness of a motorhome, especially when touring from site to site and in Europe / long distances. What’s the best van conversion and is there a 2.1m wide Coachbuilt ?

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

Regarding your question about narrow coachbuilt designs, you probably need to say whether you would be planning to buy new or secondhand.

Every now and again motorhome manufacturers decide to experiment by building compact ‘skinny’ coachbuilt designs like the Ford Transit-based Hobby and Hymer “Van” models (2007 review here)

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/hobby-van

but panel-van conversions tend to be more popular for their less vulnerable steel bodywork and wide sliding side-doors.

"What’s the best van conversion?” - you’ll need to say what you are willing to pay.

I've looked at the Adria Compact models before and there are several Rapido compacts now, no doubt other manufacturers have similar offerings. In the case of the Adria and Rapido models, I think they are both around 2.12m and the narrower bodies allow them to use the medium-arm mirrors instead of the long-arm mirrors used on most coachbuilds. Personally, the Rapido compacts look like a better layout, but obviously everyone is after something a little different.

Rapido's recently introduced C Series coachbuilt motorhomes are 2.17m wide.

The C56 model would probably be the most appropriate if 'every day' use is envisaged and there's a review here

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-rapido-c56/1028650

I'd expect the current price to approach £60K by the time semi-essential options were factored in.

Kez - 2021-05-18 9:57 PM

Hi all,

I appreciate that this ‘old hat’ but I would appreciate anyone’s current advice regarding this issue please. For the last 6 years we have had a 6m long Burstner Coachbuilt and have enjoyed using it. Having previously had caravans this was a refreshing change especially when we used it for touring in Europe. However, apart from having to climb a ladder to get into bed (and not getting any younger) one of our recent concerns have been regarding the flexibility in being able to drive our vehicle on a daily basis, especially down narrow lanes, parking etc. We have collected a number of high level scratches from the many overhanging bushes and trees.

We have recently been away with our Burstner and took our small car with us which provided the flexibility that we needed on a daily basis for an isolated site surrounded by narrow roads. Some may suggest going back to a caravan (we have looked at compact caravans as an option) but we do love the compactness of a motorhome, especially when touring from site to site and in Europe / long distances. What’s the best van conversion and is there a 2.1m wide Coachbuilt ?

Obvious, I know, but the smaller the van, the more compromised the conversion. There are a large number of converters of variants of the VW Transporter, both as high top vans, but also with raising roofs to be able to pass beneath many car park height barriers. Reputedly more "car like" and less "commercial vehicle like" to drive in terms of ride quality. So, externally compact, and not that much larger than a big SUV to park, making UK supermarkets more viable shopping possibilities. However, possibly small bed/s, small fridges, small hobs, limited storage etc. etc.

There are also a few on the Mercedes Vito van, and the Renault Traffic/Vauxhall Vivaro clones (I think different mechanicals) etc, and I think a few conversions on the IVECO Daily. Whether any of them might suit your needs only you can judge. The Iveco, Daily, Mercedes Sprinter and its VW Crafter clone, the Ford Transit, and the Renault Master/Vauxhall Movano clones (I think different mechanicals) are overall larger, but are too narrow to take transverse beds - unless both occupants are vertically challenged, or the van is modified by extension pods (at a price!) as in the La Strada Regent.

Following these come the wider (and hence more popular) Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer, and Citroen Relay vans, which share the same bodyshell but with differing mechanicals for the two PSA variants. These are sufficiently wide to take transverse beds adequate for all except those of above average height.

And that is just the vans, before you begin to investigate the conversion differences!

You mentioned above high level scratches. I wondered if these were on the roof, or high on the side walls of the van, and whether they are actual scratches or merely sap stains that polish off with a bit of elbow-grease? The point is that for obvious reasons a coachbuilt bodyshell is rectangular in cross section, meaning that its upper reaches are more vulnerable to overhanging shrubbery than the curved sided panel vans. If contact with high level roadside greenery is a particular concern then you may well be better off with a panel van conversion. The downside, inevitably, is that both high level and floor level storage lockers lack depth compared to their equivalents in coachbuilt vans, due to those high and low level tumble-homes. The interior widths may look similar, but the truth is revealed when the locker doors, fridges, and wardrobes are opened!

There are no easy answers, and the only solution is research, research, research! Get brochures, tour dealerships, and if you can, work in a trip around one (or more) of the major shows exhibiting motorhomes. Biggest is Dusseldorf Messe, but it majors, for obvious reasons, on what is available on the German market, but you can camp at the show. Ditto Paris (Le Bourget) which will have a broadly similar mix, but with more emphasis on the French conversions. Or the Birmingham National Exhibition Centre at which UK converted vehicles will be front and centre, but with the major foreign exporters to the UK well represented.

Decisions, decisions! :-D

Going back in time, a few coachbuilt motorhomes were built on a narrow base-vehicle. Examples are Auto-Trail's original "Tracker" model marketed 20 or so years ago and Bentley's "Indigo" (2012 review here) on a Renault Trafic chassis.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/bentley-indigo-first-look/899526

Burstner ("Travel Van"), Hobby ("Van"), Hymer ("Exsis-t"), Knaus ("Van Ti"), Sunlight ("Compact Van") and Weinsberg ("CaraCompact") are more recent slim coachbuilt models around 2.2m in width.

For genuine every day use a VW Transporter or Renault Trafic based campervan would probably make best sense if one could tolerate the limited interior space.

Kez - 2021-05-18 10:57 PM

... What’s the best van conversion ..... ?

Best van conversion....

Good question.

I'm not talking about the British production that I don't know but about the continental one.

As little as I know the market, in my opinion the best brand available today is the Slovenian Tourne (££££...).

Just below in the ranking La Strada (£££...).

Then Westfalia/Volkswagen, Hymer and Malibu (brand of Carthago).

Let's continue with Possl very popular in Germany and the French Font Vendome.

Then all the others, to keep in mind that many brands are just reinterpretations of the same van with often only cosmetic differences.

This is more true when we are talking about vehicles from the same group, Hymer (not the parent company) rather than Trigano and so on. For instance Dethleffs and Laika vans are almost identical.

Max

p.s. To keep in mind the original base vehicle, Fiat Ducato and relatives (Citroen and Peugeot) are the most popular due to their width that allows transversal beds.

Iveco is an excellent base but the greater weight due to rear-wheel drive penalise vans under 3.5tons.

Excellent Mercedes but it raises the price not just a little.

Advantage is that you can easily find it with front, rear and even 4wd drive.

Volkswagen and Renault (Opel/Vauxhall) are seldom used, don't ask me why. Volkswagen perhaps due to the price.

We had a Rapido and found the same thing as we are oldies! Bought an IH TIO RL second hand and are thrilled. We leave side benches made up as beds, wife puts on 2 throws ( she says to look tidy) so no bed making. It revolutionised our camping. See on this site nearly new IH TIO for sale, We chose rear lounge, as I sit up front doing sudoku, she sits at back, reading or TV, great van!

Ian

Hi been having similar thoughts if buying newish, we've looked at Elddis accordo 105, coachbuilt same width as cab and under 6 metres long, with separate shower across rear on later ones, BUT after a Burtsner or our current Hymer they do look a bit cheap? Although there not!

When we first had a motorhome, we would also have a car. Shortly after I retired our son wrote off our car. No one was hurt so it only entailed money and hassle. Due to holidays and other commitments, we did not immediately replace the car. After about 7 months we realised that we had hardly missed the car so decided not to replace it.

We shop at supermarkets, all with large car parks and the doctor, hospital, dentist and local shops are within walking distance and we always take a bus into Cardiff city. Our current ‘van is an Adria Twin SLX and although it’s 6.4 m in length I use it as an ‘everyday’ vehicle when required.

In a normal year we cover about 10,000ish miles but most of those (8,000ish) are for trips away – Europe and UK. We often take our vehicle off site to explore and do shopping, especially when abroad. We also have electric bikes.

We have come to dislike making up beds every evening and we still like a double. So, our Adria Twin provides a fixed double bed and a large storage area underneath. In this storage area, with some judicious packing we can fit two 26” wheel folding electric bikes, a bike tent, two folding chairs, two folding tables, a pair of Milenco ramps, a small gas b-b-q, a 25m hook-up cable, two groundsheets, a tyre inflator, two helmets and two 8lt water bottles. These are all packed such that we do not have to remove lots of items to get at others. E.g. The ramps are immediately to hand, as are the tables and chairs. Others small cupboards and voids under the bed house a folding shopping trolley, folding spade, battery charger, jump leads and a 15m hook-up cable. So you can see that if properly used the ‘under bed’ area provides a lot of storage space.

Also, the bed is hinged so it is possible to transport very bulky items should the need arise.

Over the years we have taken our PVC’s along lanes and have been in situations where a coach built would have been impossible.

Cattwg :-D

If I thought that European touring would be as enjoyable as 8 of the last 10 years of van ownership have been, I’d be very tempted by a T5 bespoke conversion and an air beam drive away awning. My wife would enjoy sharing the driving, unlike with the Ducato, and we’d have the extra space I’ve been trying to achieve for the last 4 years. I’m not optimistic, but it may be worth a paper exercise, nothing to lose; but I suspect that the cost would be prohibitive, though I’d enjoy simplifying the layout and services, having refined our approach to “vanning” somewhat over the years.

Maybe Ultra-Compact.

Regards

Alanb

Archived