Disabled blue badge

Allandmilne

we have parked with the disabled permit, there is nothing to say what vehicle is used with the permits as long as the person that was issued the permit is a driver or passenger of the vehicle at the time.

Our big issue was renewing the wifes disabled permit, it turned into a redtape nightmare so we gave up and now we have to wait until areas are not busy so we can get closer to the place we are going or be able to have enough space to get the mobility scooter out or walker out. More important in the MH.

Blue badges don’t automatically allow you to park free in car parks or overhang parking spaces so you need to read the signs in each car park. They do allow you to park on roads on yellow lines with certain limits and exceptions, which are standard across UK. The entitlements are different abroad so you need to check in each case.

StuartO - 2021-05-23 10:34 PM

Blue badges don’t automatically allow you to park free in car parks or overhang parking spaces so you need to read the signs in each car park. They do allow you to park on roads on yellow lines ......

So Badge Holders are encouraged to park on the road instead of the car park.....

My wife is a blue badge holder, her permit was issued by North Yorkshire CC.

One of the permit's condiions is that the disabled person must leave the vehicle, when parking in disabled spaces. Please read your booklet, which outlines the conditions for public car parks.

There have been several instances where we would have liked to park our 5.6m long PVC in a disabled space, but have been unable to do so due to overhang considerations.

Alan

John52 - 2021-05-24 7:37 AM

Blue badges don’t automatically allow you to park free in car parks or overhang parking spaces so you need to read the signs in each car park. They do allow you to park on roads on yellow lines ......

So Badge Holders are encouraged to park on the road instead of the car park.....

That’s a non-sequitur...

General rules for Blue Badge use are provided here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/help-for-disabled-travellers1/blue-badge-scheme/using-your-blue-badge/

and this gov.uk webpage provides further information, including guidance on places where Blue Badge holders are not permitted to park.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england

Alanb - 2021-05-24 9:07 AM

One of the permit's condiions is that the disabled person must leave the vehicle, when parking in disabled spaces.

I’d concur with this often overlooked condition. In North Yorkshire my father’s (much younger) wife stopped the car outside a shop on double yellows to pick up an order. My father, in his 90’s with one and a half legs and a Blue Badge holder stayed in the vehicle. When she came out of the shop the car was being ticketed as the blue badge holder had not left the vehicle. It happens.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-05-24 9:45 AM

John52 - 2021-05-24 7:37 AM

That’s a non-sequitur...

General rules for Blue Badge use are provided here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/help-for-disabled-travellers1/blue-badge-scheme/using-your-blue-badge/

and this gov.uk webpage provides further information, including guidance on places where Blue Badge holders are not permitted to park.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england/the-blue-badge-scheme-rights-and-responsibilities-in-england

Still free to park on double yellow lines when they have to pay to park in an English council car park.

So Badge Holders are effectively encouraged to park on the road instead of the car park as I said

Derek Uzzell - 2021-05-24 12:17 PM

My understanding of the words "effectively" and "encouraged" plainly differs from yours...

Nope

But they are just words - hot air.

The cash incentive is clearly to park on the road, including double yellow lines, not the car park.

Both of the links I provided above say that on-road parking where there are double yellow lines may be permitted. The gov.uk website advises

Yellow lines

Badge holders may park on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours, but in general not where there are restrictions on loading or unloading – indicated by yellow kerb dashes and / or signs on plates. You may wish to check whether a particular local council has chosen to exempt Blue Badge holders from this restriction.

Where local schemes apply, such as those that apply in parts of central London, you should check the rules for that area. You are not entitled to park on yellow lines in off-street car parks.

You must display the Blue Badge and the blue parking clock showing the quarter hour period during which you arrived. You must wait for at least one hour after a previous period of parking before you can park the same vehicle in the same road or part of a road on the same day.

The relevant Herefordshire Council webpage

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/parking-1/council-car-parks

advises

Disabled parking

Disabled badge holders are entitled to three hours free parking in our pay and display car parks. You must display a valid badge and clock correctly. If you need more than three hours, you can buy a ticket to give extra time, but you mustn't exceed the car park's maximum stay.

Many council car parks have dedicated disabled spaces which allow extra room, but disabled badge holders can park in any space designated for cars.

John52 - 2021-05-24 11:33 AM

Yes thats what it amounts to

A local to me car park has 10 disabled bays which are never used as 200 mtrs to nearest shop and down 10 steps to under pass and they can park almost anywhere in the town right outside the shops

fesspark - 2021-05-24 3:27 PM

I have had a blue badge for a year or two and you are allowed to park on double yellow lines as long as you are not causing an obstruction..

Unless the double yellow lines are put there for no reason it must be causing an obstruction

witzend - 2021-05-24 4:50 PM

John52 - 2021-05-24 11:33 AM

Yes thats what it amounts to

A local to me car park has 10 disabled bays which are never used as 200 mtrs to nearest shop and down 10 steps to under pass and they can park almost anywhere in the town right outside the shops

I can't blame them because if I had a blue badge I would do the same.

I blame the system, not those who take advantage of it because I know I would :-S

Archived