Directferries.com

Den

Before booking, check whether you can change booking times or dates, or whether this also has to be done via Direct Ferries and if so, whether there is an additional charge.

I am aware the people who have booked via either of the UK clubs have found trying to change a booking difficult, because the booking was not made in their name, but by the club - who had pre-bought blocks of crossings from ferry operators at a discount (hence the saving) and then sold these on to members at a discounted rate.

Problems when you want to change crossing are twofold. First, because the ferry operator has no record of your booking they cannot change it, and you have to go back through the club. Second, because the clubs pre-book in blocks, they have only limited amounts of crossings to sell and, when those have all been sold for the revised time or date, that is it.

So, you get a cheaper crossing, but may have problems if you need to change time or date. So, worth checking what flexibility you would have, and at what potential cost, were this to happen.

Thank you Brian for your input.

They are several hundreds cheaper, but I don’t know anyone whom have dealt with them.

I have to sign paperwork in Spain during August and no way will I fly with the Covid situation.

I’ve still got 3 return Eurotunnel tickets to use, but France put the stop on that.

I do agree with what you say regarding changing or cancelling due to Covid etc.

Den

As you’d be travelling with Brittany Ferries, you’d need to check VERY carefully regarding the type of ticket you’d be obtaining. There are now three types - ECONOMY, STANDARD or FLEXI - and the payment, amendment and cancellation terms and conditiions (and pricing) vary significantly.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/booking-information/ferry-ticket-types

As Brian has warned, booking through a 3rd party can prove problematical.

Years ago I used to book Brittany Ferries tickets at a discount via the Motorhome Ticket Club (MTC) which was fine until I wanted to get out of France when there was a French fuel shortage. On arrival at the Ouistreham ferry port on a Saturday, I was told that, if I wanted to amend the ticket, I should do it through MTC (office closed for the week-end of course) but as a lot of other UK tourists were leaving France early because of the fuel crisis and there was room on the ferry, Brittany Ferries would exceptionally allow the change in my case.

Hi Derek

My concerns exactly.

Probably without Covid it would be safer to book and save a few hundred pounds.

I’m now looking at the safest way to easily sign our paperwork via a uk Spanish solicitor to save us from going to Spain.

Such a shame to miss a 2nd year abroad.

Thanks for your input

Den

Derek Uzzell - 2021-05-29 9:23 AM

As you’d be travelling with Brittany Ferries, you’d need to check VERY carefully regarding the type of ticket you’d be obtaining. There are now three types - ECONOMY, STANDARD or FLEXI - and the payment, amendment and cancellation terms and conditiions (and pricing) vary significantly.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/faqs/booking-information/ferry-ticket-types

As Brian has warned, booking through a 3rd party can prove problematical.

Years ago I used to book Brittany Ferries tickets at a discount via the Motorhome Ticket Club (MTC) which was fine until I wanted to get out of France when there was a French fuel shortage. On arrival at the Ouistreham ferry port on a Saturday, I was told that, if I wanted to amend the ticket, I should do it through MTC (office closed for the week-end of course) but as a lot of other UK tourists were leaving France early because of the fuel crisis and there was room on the ferry, Brittany Ferries would exceptionally allow the change in my case.

I think that if you have the Brittany Club membership, then all changes are still free, but of course that is another cost, and in these uncertain times, who knows when foreign travel will be a doddle rather than the current nightmare!!

Den - 2021-05-29 9:41 AM

Hi Derek

My concerns exactly.

Probably without Covid it would be safer to book and save a few hundred pounds.

I’m now looking at the safest way to easily sign our paperwork via a uk Spanish solicitor to save us from going to Spain.

Such a shame to miss a 2nd year abroad.

Thanks for your input

Den

Having now got residency here in Spain and gone through hoops to get there, is it not possible that you can give your Spanish solicitor power of attorney so he can sign on your behalf, or otherwise use an electronic signature, but maybe that has to be done here in Spain. Bureaucracy is a nightmare here, as you are probably aware!

Ainsley

flyboyprowler - 2021-05-29 10:20 AM

I think that if you have the Brittany Club membership, then all changes are still free, but of course that is another cost, and in these uncertain times, who knows when foreign travel will be a doddle rather than the current nightmare!!

I'm a member of the Brittany Ferries "Club Voyage" scheme and I've just amended (for the 6th time) the booking I originally made in June 2020. There has been no charge for making those amendments because the ticket type I chose a year ago was the most expensive FLEXI variety. (The cost of the amended bookings themselves has altered up or down according to the sailing dates/times chosen.)

In Den's case, in order to obtain Club Voyage discounts, he'd need to pay to join the scheme and pay the annual fee. For Spain this would currently cost £230.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/club-voyage/spain

Hi Ainsley

It seems electronically is not permitted in Spain ? In this day and age I would have thought it would be possible.

It is for power of attorney.

I wanted to use the signing as an excuse to take a holiday, plan A didn’t work.

I’m speaking with the solicitor here Monday just in case we can’t travel in 4 - 6 weeks time.

Hi Derek

Being a frequent traveler with Eurotunnel since day 1, I doubt I’d use the Ferry when we finally get over Covid.

Wife and I always wondered what it would be like to take the ferry to Spain and this seemed a good time to try it out.

Den

Ps

Den - 2021-05-29 12:52 PM

Hi Ainsley

It seems electronically is not permitted in Spain ? In this day and age I would have thought it would be possible.

It is for power of attorney.

I wanted to use the signing as an excuse to take a holiday, plan A didn’t work.

I’m speaking with the solicitor here Monday just in case we can’t travel in 4 - 6 weeks time.

Hi Derek

Being a frequent traveler with Eurotunnel since day 1, I doubt I’d use the Ferry when we finally get over Covid.

Wife and I always wondered what it would be like to take the ferry to Spain and this seemed a good time to try it out.

Den

Ps

We did our "signatures" when we first started the residency process, but that was done in Spain. Our Hestor used them to make the initial application but they weren't, I believe used after that.

Always loved the ferry crossing as long as we were able to use the posh nosh restaurant. We are hoping that when we next come back to the UK in a couple of months time, that the ferrys will be running normally and we can enjoy that meal again!!

Ainsley

I used the site between germany, sweden and finland. Every time I checked both directferries and the operator, then took whatever was cheapest (not always the same). But I never booked more than few hours in advance so no issues with returns, changes etc.

Hi

Interesting about the nice restaurant aboard, another good reason to try the ferry.

We will now wait till the last minute to see if Spain goes green and hopefully we can go and sign in person and take a 2 week break.

But it looks doubtful. I’ve arranged a Spanish solicitor in the uk to act on our behalf for the power of attorney if we can’t go.

( we’ve sold our Spanish )

I had plans last year to spend more time in the Alps in summer, not winter and in St Marie de la Mare, but like for everyone Covid put paid to that for last year and now this year.

Archived