Thetford toilet problem

Dorset mick

I have a Bailey Valencia 2013, i recently had a problem with the toilet flush pump which i fixed. I now have a situation where when i fill the holding tank the water goes directly into the toilet bowl. The toilet is a C262.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the cause and how to fix it.

Thanks

Thought the Bailey Valencia was a caravan !!!

Anyway, your problem is probably due to grit getting lodged in the electronically controlled water supply valve, allowing water through to fill the toilet.

First try operating the toilet flush button numerous times. If that doesn't shift the debris, you'll need to detach the pipe from the water fill container and apply compressed air via a footpump or similar.

I had the same problem and compressed air resolved the problem.

Dorset mick - 2021-06-05 9:32 AM

I have a Bailey Valencia 2013, i recently had a problem with the toilet flush pump which i fixed. I now have a situation where when i fill the holding tank the water goes directly into the toilet bowl. The toilet is a C262.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the cause and how to fix it.

Thanks

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Mick.

Based on your reference to a water “holding tank” I think your caravan’s Thetford toilet will be a C262-CWE as shown on this Thetford webpage.

https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/products/toilets/cassette-toilets/c262-cwe-plastic-bowl

This model of Thetford toilet has its own 8-litres-capacity flush-water tank within which is an electric submersible water-pump that operates when a blue button on the control-panel on the flush-water tank’s top is pressed.

Scrolling down the Thetford webpage will show a “Spare part list” button and clicking on this will download exploded-view drawings and parts listings for toilets in the C260 range. The relevant pages for a C262CWE toilet are 57 to 59.

I’ve no hands-on experience of C260 toilets, but my understanding is that the “electronically controlled water supply valve” mentioned by Robbo is only used with toilets where the flush-water supply comes from the leisure-vehicle’s main fresh-water tank (eg C263S or C263CS models) and this arrangement is commonplace for motorhomes, but less usual for caravans. Any electric-flush toilet that has its own flush-water tank (ie. that has a “W” in the model reference) and its own water-pump within that tank does not have (nor need) the electric water supply valve.

It might be useful to have a bit more detail about what you did to fix the flush-pump problem and what is actually happening when the water goes into the toilet bowl.

I’m envisaging that, after you’d cured the pump issue, you filled the toilet’s flush-water tank and pressed the button to confirm that the flush worked. The pump ran and water entered the toilet bowl from the ‘nozzle’ in the bowl as you’d expected should happen, but - when you took your finger off the button and the pump stopped - water continued to run into the bowl until the flush-water tank emptied. Now, when you fill the tank the water just drains from the nozzle into the bowl. Is that right? If not, you’ll need to correct me.

I THINK your problem relates to the ‘vacuum breaker’ (Part 28 on the spare parts listing: Thetford part number 16833) that’s shown in this example advert.

https://www.awnings.co.uk/thetford-vacuum-breaker.html

If this fails to operate, I believe water would siphon continuously from the flush-water tank through the submersible pump and into the toilet bowl.

The first posting on this long 2018 discussion on the CaravanTalk website describes a Thetford C250 toilet behaving as you’ve said happens with your C262.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/130364-thetford-c250-toilet/#comments

There’s a good deal of incorrect advice offered there as a result of people failing to discriminate between “W” toilet models with their own integrated flush-water tank, and “S” models where the supply of flush-water comes from a separate tank, but the general ‘informed’ opinion is that the vacuum breaker is the prime suspect and, perhaps, that its position within the tank may be critical.

(When you fixed the pump problem, did you make sure that the vacuum breaker wasn’t accidentally displaced from where it should be positioned?

Archived