GB News ...

Birdbrain

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-16 7:47 AM

Birdbrain - 2021-06-16 6:20 AM

Imagine being so woke ... Koppaberg is a drink for everyone they say, chuckle thats unless you watch GB News ... Leftie types like our own leftie types dont want debate or a different opinion, they cant handle it, you only need look at the 10.20PM post on the "We're worse of than before Brexit" thread, that post says it all ... I find Koppaberg very gassy ... IKEA who pulled their advert on "humanistic values" issues dont seem too concerned about humanistic values in Saudi Arabia where they have stores or the "humanistic values" of its employees who they were fined £1 million big ones for spying on ... Hypocrisy lives here and IKEA it seems ... Chuckle ... GB News seems to be getting a lot of woke types all hot and sticky

You still haven't clarified your view of the station's anti lockdown stance? You see I'm keen to see and debate a different opinion whereas you just want to cancel out other viewpoints shouting "woke" at everything.

Wow, what an absolute honour to be invited to take part in a grown up, mature debate from one of the forums top brains ... My grandkids will be really proud I have finally achieved something ... Oh hang on though you then go all Disney claiming I want to "cancel out other viewpoints shouting "woke" at everything"??? ... I believe in all my posts I have prolly used the word "woke" twice and thats on one thread, in one post before this one so how am I meant to debate seriously anything with one one who makes such silly, untrue claims???

Birdbrain - 2021-06-17 6:28 AM

Imagine being so woke ... Koppaberg is a drink for everyone they say, chuckle thats unless you watch GB News ... Leftie types like our own leftie types dont want debate or a different opinion, they cant handle it, you only need look at the 10.20PM post on the "We're worse of than before Brexit" thread, that post says it all ... I find Koppaberg very gassy ... IKEA who pulled their advert on "humanistic values" issues dont seem too concerned about humanistic values in Saudi Arabia where they have stores or the "humanistic values" of its employees who they were fined £1 million big ones for spying on ... Hypocrisy lives here and IKEA it seems ... Chuckle ... GB News seems to be getting a lot of woke types all hot and sticky

You still haven't clarified your view of the station's anti lockdown stance? You see I'm keen to see and debate a different opinion whereas you just want to cancel out other viewpoints shouting "woke" at everything.

Wow, what an absolute honour to be invited to take part in a grown up, mature debate from one of the forums top brains ... My grandkids will be really proud I have finally achieved something ... Oh hang on though you then go all Disney claiming I want to "cancel out other viewpoints shouting "woke" at everything"??? ... I believe in all my posts I have prolly used the word "woke" twice and thats on one thread, in one post before this one so how am I meant to debate seriously anything with one one who makes such silly, untrue claims???

So what are your view of the station's anti lockdown stance?

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-17 7:37 AM

My views dont matter really ... Given your way off skewing and twisting what I say you'll spin it to suit your hate agenda

Birdbrain - 2021-06-17 7:39 PM

My views dont matter really ... Given your way off skewing and twisting what I say you'll spin it to suit your hate agenda

I thought you wanted to engage in debate? Now it seems that you just want to cancel me on the basis that you can't hold a argument.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-17 10:40 PM

I thought you wanted to engage in debate? Now it seems that you just want to cancel me on the basis that you can't hold a argument.

My previous response explains all ... You have proved me 100% correct with your last post, you skew and twist so whats the point ... If you seriously want to debate GB News stance and you promise to stick to reality then you must apologise for your "woke" untrue lie about me and then maybe we can talk ... Looking forward to your answer already

Birdbrain - 2021-06-18 6:22 AM

My previous response explains all ... You have proved me 100% correct with your last post, you skew and twist so whats the point ... If you seriously want to debate GB News stance and you promise to stick to reality then you must apologise for your "woke" untrue lie about me and then maybe we can talk ... Looking forward to your answer already

You clearly stated "Imagine being so woke", so I have nothing to apologise for.

I can only conclude that you are unsure of the strength of your argument or your ability to present it? If that's not the case then feel free to enlighten us all on your views of GB news stance on lockdowns?

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-18 9:55 AM

Birdbrain - 2021-06-18 6:22 AM

You clearly stated "Imagine being so woke", so I have nothing to apologise for.

I can only conclude that you are unsure of the strength of your argument or your ability to present it? If that's not the case then feel free to enlighten us all on your views of GB news stance on lockdowns?

I "clearly" did say "Imagine being so woke" ... You "clearly" did say I want to "cancel out other viewpoints shouting woke at everything" and then I "clearly" did say I had used that word 'woke' only two or three times in all my time on here which means your telling porkies once again but rather than apologising for your lie you go on and on and on and ...

"Whenever I’ve needed cheering up in the last few months, I’ve made my way to Andrew Neil’s pinned tweet. It features a video of a white middle-aged man playing piano, jazzy show tune-style: ‘GB News, GB News, you’ve got the other broadcasters shaking in their shoes!…for the under-served and the unheard, what’s the word? GB News!’

I find it comforting, not just because it instantly transports me back to the programmes of my childhood - That’s Life and Nationwide - in which jazz piano satire of current events was an actual genre but because it held out the promise that, despite my fears, GB News must just be a bit crap.

Whenever I’ve needed cheering up in the last few months, I’ve made my way to Andrew Neil’s pinned tweet. It features a video of a white middle-aged man playing piano, jazzy show tune-style: ‘GB News, GB News, you’ve got the other broadcasters shaking in their shoes!…for the under-served and the unheard, what’s the word? GB News!’

I find it comforting, not just because it instantly transports me back to the programmes of my childhood - That’s Life and Nationwide - in which jazz piano satire of current events was an actual genre but because it held out the promise that, despite my fears, GB News must just be a bit crap.

This has indeed turned out to be the case. GB News is a study in crapness. The sound is a disaster, the sets are still under construction, Andrew Neil’s lighting gives him an appearance best described as irradiated and the new Twitter handle @gbnewsfails is a never-ending cornucopia of delights featuring highlights such as the electrifying caption for an item on ‘PENISONS’ and a call-in from ‘Mike Oxlong’.

The crapness is hugely enjoyable. But the crapness is dangerous. Because GB News is dangerous. And the crapper it is, and the more attention it gets, the more dangerous it becomes. I called Martin Moore, the director of the Centre for Study of Media, Communication and Power at Kings College London, and one of the smartest commentators around on the dynamics of the new age of information, to test my fears and discovered that he too worries that the crapness is a red herring. That it’s lulling us into a false sense of security. Because GB News isn’t a news channel in any traditional sense, not least because it has no news. It arguably has more in common with the Taxpayers’ Alliance than Sky News.

This is an ideological project backed by ideological funders - Legatum, the Dubai-based group, which has backed some of the more extreme pro-Brexit, free market think tanks of recent years and Vote Leave funder, Sir Paul Marshall - with ideological goals. Is it designed to make money? It seems unlikely. ‘There’s a genuine question about the economics,’ says Moore. ‘The market for broadcast TV is incredibly small. It’s more like a newspaper where the influence is cultural. It’s about amplifying particular political voices.’ This is a venture designed to shift the culture by exploiting the hybrid nature of the media landscape. And in this it already seems to be succeeding.

The power of GB News lies less in what it broadcasts and more in what it clips. This is what Neil in an interview with the BBC’s Amol Rajan calls the ‘slice’n’dice’ model - its content is designed to be clipped and shared, to go viral, to change the conversation, to bolster conservative narratives and to constantly and repeatedly perform ‘anti-wokeness’.

Wokeness, anti-wokeness, none of this is real but who cares. The BBC bumped Andrew Neil’s show into a late night slot and he has a point to prove.

It comes at a critical time. An insurgent government is enacting some of the biggest changes to Britain’s institutions since the post-war settlement. And the right-wing news and information system in Britain is already a dense mass of connections and feed-back loops that take crumbs of misinformation and power them into the mainstream. ‘News’ ricochets from Guido to the SpikedOnline to the Spectator to the Telegraph to the Twitter feeds of pet journalists to the front benches to the Mail to the Telegram channels and Facebook groups where trolls organise and on to the BBC, the broadsheets, the opposition benches, the political agenda.

Andrew Neil, as the chairman of the Spectator, a content engine of increasingly extreme views while also a mainstream BBC politics presenter, has long been a key figure in skewing this system to the right. Now, he’s centre stage.

I’ve been worrying about GB News for months. And the reasons for my worry were crystallised this week by footage of Newsnight political editor, Nicholas Watt, being harassed and intimidated by a mob of anti-lockdown protestors.

This is a disinformation system in action. It’s a Twitter pile-on made flesh. It’s what happens when online forces erupt into real life. The hounding of Nick Watt is a direct result of online incitement, of mis- and disinformation amplified by algorithms optimised for engagement, and of unknown organisations and entities exploiting real discontents for political ends.

And minutes from its launch, GB News was adding fuel to this very fire. On its very first night, Mail columnist Dan Wootton was able to spread Covid misinformation completely unchallenged. A quote of which was then clipped and went viral online.

In Britain, we’ve had a bulwark that has protected us from some of the tsunami of disinformation that floods the online platforms: public service broadcasting. But the privatisation of Channel 4 may come as soon as next year and already the government is using GB News as an alternative, friendlier outlet. The second question in Monday’s press conference went to GB News and on Thursday, the Chancellor of the Exchequer showed up on Andrew Neil’s show.

In a single week, GB News has already shifted the balance of power between the government and the press. And it’s only the beginning. Martin Moore believes GB News will have a profound effect not just in shifting discourse online but also on the BBC. ‘The BBC is incredibly influenced by what’s in the press. GB News is going to make it even more self-conscious. It’s now got another broadcast channel that has been set up to explicitly critique the way the BBC is run. It will become even more self-conscious even neuralgic about the way it covers certain topics.’"

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-25 12:16 AM

Andrew Neil is many things - but not stupid

He knows a dead duck when he sees one.

Andrew Neil announces departure from GB News - two weeks after launch of new channel

https://t.co/MpKlNrU84i

Lordy ... Some folk are desperate ... Mr Curtain changes the word "break" to "departure" for the more Hollywood "Andrew Neil announces departure from GB News ... You really cant believe a word he writes

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2021-06-25 5:47 AM

Andrew Neil announces departure from GB News - two weeks after launch of new channel

Lordy ... Some folk are desperate ... Mr Curtain changes the word "break" to "departure" for the more Hollywood "Andrew Neil announces departure from GB News ... You really cant believe a word he writes

Curtain Raiser has gone full Barry Fake News :D..........

They just can't help telling LIES *-) ...........

"Andrew Neil announced at the end of his self-titled news show on Thursday that he would be LEAVING GB News for a break from presenting duties - less than two weeks after the network launched.

He has been on holiday for a year before his channel launched doing the occasional interview for different news channels to stay relevant. What can he possibly need a break from already? Misspelled graphics? Awful sound engineering? His poorly lit tv studio?

Or does he just miss his mansion in France?"

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-25 2:03 PM

"Andrew Neil announced at the end of his self-titled news show on Thursday that he would be LEAVING GB News for a break from presenting duties - less than two weeks after the network launched.

He has been on holiday for a year before his channel launched doing the occasional interview for different news channels to stay relevant. What can he possibly need a break from already? Misspelled graphics? Awful sound engineering? His poorly lit tv studio?

Or does he just miss his mansion in France?"

"Misspelled graphics, Awful sound engineering, His poorly lit tv studio" all seem to have really grated ya and got under ya skin ... Chuckle ... But apart from that your original lie was caught out and now your wriggling rather badly and embarrassingly ... It aint a pretty picture so why dont ya just leave it

When you examine the list of experienced and well regarded Journalists who have left (or 'retired' early) the BBC, I believe it says a lot about the BBC not them.

There you go, I have defended the Journos and blamed the BBC, so I am obviously an ultra right wing, racist little Englander ..... sorry. :'(

• 2 weeks later...

Has Andrew Neil returned from his two week break yet?

Their viewers are obviously all still on holiday

https://www.ft.com/content/b61acb58-fb0c-427f-b3f4-a12509f764b3

CurtainRaiser - 2021-07-12 12:30 PM

Has Andrew Neil returned from his two week break yet?

Their viewers are obviously all still on holiday

https://www.ft.com/content/b61acb58-fb0c-427f-b3f4-a12509f764b3

Dont recall Mr Neil telling he was going on a "two week break"??? ... GB News as far as I am aware doesnt yet have to ask viewers for donations, the same cant be said for The Guardian ... You do lead a full and happy life dont ya two jabs??? ... SFH

I don't know why people have a problem with GB News, is it because they don't have to be 'fair' like BBC, and can criticise Tory ministers without any balance? Or is it because they employ ex Labour front bench remainers?

colin - 2021-07-12 2:58 PM

I don't know why people have a problem with GB News, is it because they don't have to be 'fair' like BBC, and can criticise Tory ministers without any balance? Or is it because they employ ex Labour front bench remainers?

Haven't seen much of it yet, so don't have a view yet, but I was interested to see that Neil Oliver is a presenter.

I have always thought of him as the man with the longest paper round in Scotland, as he's always appeared in documentaries about Scotland, with a huge bag slung over his shoulder. Never saw him put anything in, or take anything out - so I've always wondered what it was for.

( Bit big for sandwiches ).

;-)

Birdbrain - 2021-06-11 7:40 PM

... Its guna be great ... A channel to challenge the left wing loops on the BBC ... Happy days, truthful TV ... https://inews.co.uk/news/media/gb-news-launch-first-look-tv-studios-andrew-neil-dan-wootton-1042651

GB News viewing figures now "statistically zero".

Industry source Broadcast Now reporting that for the week of July 5, GB News averaged 28 000 or just 0.2% population reach in the "peak hours after 6pm".

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/non-psb-channels/more-declines-at-gb-news/5161562.article

Archived