fridge not going cold on gas

silverback

Hello all,

thetford N3170 tall fridge freezer, obviously not been used recently on gas, there are no faults on the control panel, it ignites and stays lit and that is it the fridge or freezer do not go cold at all, fans are fitted they don't make any difference when switched on, the fridge works well on electric and maintains temperature on 12volt, it is under warranty so will get fixed, but I just wondered if anyone had any Ideas? the manuals do not suggest a remedy just says get in touch with customer support

thanks Jonathan

As 12v and mains are working I would think the ony reason is the actual gas coming out of the jet is too little. Check the flame and make sure it goes strong when switched on, and stays at full throttle, a weak flame would never cool the fridge properly. Jets do block.

YES good chance the Gas flame is not fierce enough, blocked jet partial ?? burner corroded or partially blocked ? flue needs cleaning ? Fridge casing getting too hot due to weather so fridge cannot dissipate heat and cool properly, but as you have cooling fans that is unlikely

A different issue but in this current thread-

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fridge-struggling-to-light-on-gas/58365/ - there is mention of little filter(s), within the gas lines, that can get blocked?

Does everything else "gas" appear to be running at its expected "umph"? If everything obvious/easy, fridge-wise checks out, I wonder if the main reg' could be playing up a little?...

(there is always the old "take it out and turn in over" trick but that's not exactly easy with a large built in unit..)

Thanks all for the replies, I have used compressed air down the grill thing, I didn't want to remove the jets and bits because there is anti tamper paint on the connections and didn't want them to think I had been playing about with it so they good get out of the warranty claim, I have attached some pictures, all the other gas appliances running correctly at full power ie oven and alde heating ....Pepe63 I am a big fella but taking it out and turning it upside down is a tad too far (lol) (lol)

Jonathan

IMG_20210621_121300878.jpg.7ccc987e871b964828ca1e4aab3ee80a.jpg

IMG_20210621_115836033.jpg.e1b9aea88c6b33a4b51bda30001a84c6.jpg

The forum thread Pepe refers to relates (I'm pretty sure!) to a Dometic fridge not to a Thetford one and - to the best of my knowledge - Thetford fridges do not have the filter mentioned in that thread.

The burner assembly of a Thetford N-series fridge is quite different to a Dometic burner

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan/motorhome/spares/thetford/fridges/fridge-burner/jet/

My Rapido has a Thetford N-series fridge/freezer similar to Jonathan's and the gas flame shown in his 2nd photo looks decidedly 'weak' and insufficient to provide proper cooling. A partially-blocked jet must be the prime suspect.

Thanks for the replies, I can't remember how the flame looked previously, *-) but a blocked jet was my way of thinking, the dealer has been back to me and he has talked to someone in the know ie Thetford and they started going on about electrics, and cooler units and in the end they are going to replace it!! free, that is one hell of an expense for a dodgy jet *-) I had sent the pictures to them, but it goes in for a Hab check in 2 weeks so at least they can have a look to replacing the jet 1st, otherwise I get a brand new fridge, nice one :D

Jonathan

The sort of flame the burner should produce is shown on the image attached below.

(I would have thought that - as the fridge cools OK on 230V and 12V - there’s nothing wong with the basic cooling system. But if a free new fridge is being offered, who is going to refuse that?)

burner.png.e4c8b82c181e6c59c54415ba0df35d39.png

Thanks Derek, great info as always, that flame looks good, bigger than mine, I am going to a rally next week so I will ask someone with the same fridge for a look at their flame and take a picture, but like you say I am not going to turn down a free fridge! B-) it will also come with another guarantee so win win all round I think

Jonathan :D

silverback - 2021-06-20 11:41 PM

Hello all,

thetford N3170 tall fridge freezer, obviously not been used recently on gas, there are no faults on the control panel, it ignites and stays lit and that is it the fridge or freezer do not go cold at all, fans are fitted they don't make any difference when switched on, the fridge works well on electric and maintains temperature on 12volt, it is under warranty so will get fixed, but I just wondered if anyone had any Ideas? the manuals do not suggest a remedy just says get in touch with customer support

thanks Jonathan

We have the same fridge and was told that Thetford recommend the burner/jet assembly is changed every 2 years. We had ours changed, cost for it was £45, and keep the old one which looked OK in the van for emergencies.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, Just an update, the dealer has put in the new fridge, it is the new model 4170A direct replacement under warranty, so I have looked at the new flame and it has a lot more umph! and burns a lot better see picture as comparison to the old one, so it seems it might have been the jet/burner, however I am now the proud owner of a new fridge..RESULT B-) B-) B-) :-D

Jonathan

870804475_newflame.jpg.33a7c1c14ae5eebcc724916c2b32b036.jpg

Archived