Comfort insurance

Brihughes

It seems that Motorhome Insurance is a bit of a volatile place and that the proper message may not be

that Company/Broker/Underwriter "A" is better than "B" and much better than "C"

but rather given the many variables in the personal and driving history of the insured(s) and the variables concerning the vehicle, value, security storage place etc and the attitude of specific underwriters which may change from time to time

it is always wise to get a range of quotes even if this leads you back to your original quote.

For example my van has been stored in the same place for nearly 20 years. It was a CASSOA Gold site but the owner gave up CASSOA membership, at the same time beefing up security. This resulted in some insurers refusing to quote or seeking to impose unacceptable conditions.

I left Comfort for my van, it was Sorned for 3 months last year and the Insurance lapsed ,I told Comfort this and said I would be back, when 3 months later I tried to re insure the van with them the premium went up by £250 , new policy they said bye I said and reinsured with the Camping and Caravan Club,

We still have a car Insured AVIVA through Comfort , 4 days ago we had a letter from the MIB

Insurance Data base saying our car was showing as NOT Insured , although the policy was activated back 1st April , [i know] hee hee I contacted Comfort who confirmed that the car was in fact Insured, I have all the documents from them from when I insured the car, they said they would contact Aviva about this, several phone calls to,Comfort and still no result from Aviva, I even used Aviva complaints line by E Mail and still no result, The letter from MIB was partly written in RED saying I must sort this out or face a Fine?What more am I supposed to do? We had not used the car for 3 weeks as we had been away in the van so I suspect prior to going away we triggered an ANPR Camera hence the letter.

vindiboy

That’s interesting as my wife’s Skoda car is insured via Comfort Insurance and yesterday she also received from the MIB a similar letter to yours.

My Rapido motorhome and my wife’s car are both insured via Comfort Insurance and both policies were renewed on 1 April 2021 (the SAME start date as your car’s policy).

Using the askMID online checker

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

shows an ‘insured confirmation’ entry on the MID for the Rapido, but no entry for the Skoda. As the askMID checker states

I further understand that this check on askMID is not proof of insurance nor is it proof of no insurance but confirms only if the vehicle is currently showing on MID.

I phoned Comfort Insurance yesterday about the MIB letter and they are supposed to phone me back about this. I asked Comfort how automated the procedure was for getting ‘insured’ data entered on to the MID and was given to understand that - when they issue a vehicle insurance policy - they do not access the MID directly and that there were a couple of subsequent intermediate stages (not handled by Comfort themselves) before the data reached the MID. Also that there might be 4 or 5 days delay from the insurance policy start date and the MID registering this.

Should it prove necessary I have all the documentation needed to confirm that the Skoda car has been insured since 1 April 2021, so I’m not hugely concerned. But the error needs correcting as the MID will be relied on by the police and by automated systems.

https://www.nodepositinsurance.com/uninsured.html

vindiboy

A follow-up...

I’ve just had a phone call from Comfort Insurance saying that they had become aware of a few MIB-related problems of the type you (and I) refer to above. (Evidently the problems were caused by a glitch at the AVIVA stage in the process that gets a vehicle’s insurance ‘status’ recorded on the MID database.)

Comfort Insurance has taken the action necessary to address the problem (in my case) and my wife’s Skoda car now shows as insured on the MID. So - if you use the askMID.com checker - you may find your car shows on the MID as insured too.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-06-26 10:57 AM

vindiboy

A follow-up...

I’ve just had a phone call from Comfort Insurance saying that they had become aware of a few MIB-related problems of the type you (and I) refer to above. (Evidently the problems were caused by a glitch at the AVIVA stage in the process that gets a vehicle’s insurance ‘status’ recorded on the MID database.)

Comfort Insurance has taken the action necessary to address the problem (in my case) and my wife’s Skoda car now shows as insured on the MID. So - if you use the askMID.com checker - you may find your car shows on the MID as insured too.

Thank you, safety in numbers as they say, NO our car is still not showing on the Data base although all the paper work shows it is, we shall see. I have just checked the Data base again this morning, second check today and our car now shows as insured so they are in fact listening.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived