Set your alarm at night when sleeping.

76zedfour

Just a heads up to anyone who might fall into my stupid habit of not setting the alarm at night but just merely central locking the doors. I got into this habit because of constantly forgetting to turn off alarm before opening the doors and the alarm sounding.

Fast forward a couple of years and this morning I awoke at 5am to someone gently opening my driver's door. I yelled and they legged it. They had wedged a screwdriver under the lock.

The annoying thing is my alarm has a blue flashing led so would be an obvious deterrent to a would be burglar but through my own laziness I have brought this on myself by not setting it.

The lock still works and the damage is minor. I am going to fit some inexpensive pro plates (a metal base plate that fits snugly behind the door handle) and this will cover the damage and prevent access through this weakness in the Fiat in future.

First time broken into after a cumulative total of probably a couple of years wild camping in Spain and I was parked in a pleasant back street in Benicassim.

I think the pro plates are a must as it prevents the most obvious near silent attack point and are only cheap. The setting of the alarm is a definite must do and learn from my stupidity.

And this pandemic has a lot to answer for. In the split second whilst I was half asleep stood in my boxers and contemplating whether to give chase my first thoughts were I must not forget to put my mask on never mind shorts or trainers! ?? (In Spain masks are mandatory everywhere)

Good advice

My alarm is activated only by pulling a door handle - microswitches fitted on the handles so the alarm goes off when the handle is pulled irrespective of whether the door is locked or not, and BEFORE the thief has forced the door. It's gone off in the night a couple of times over the last 10 years, by the time I have got out of bed and to the window they have gone. Have also come back to thevan to find it has been activated whilst I was away.

Time consuming job to take off all the door cards, make brackets, fit and wire up the switches so I don't suppose its commercially viable for an alarm fitter - maybe take 2 days instead of 2 hours and what can he charge for it. Especially if he has busted some of the trim prising it off. But only got to work once to make it worth it to me and gives me peace of mind when asleep knowing that no one can get in without waking me (and half the neighbourhood probably)

John52 - 2021-06-24 10:09 AM

Good advice

My alarm is activated only by pulling a door handle - microswitches fitted on the handles so the alarm goes off when the handle is pulled irrespective of whether the door is locked or not, and BEFORE the thief has forced the door. It's gone off in the night a couple of times over the last 10 years, by the time I have got out of bed and to the window they have gone. Have also come back to thevan to find it has been activated whilst I was away.

Time consuming job to take off all the door cards, make brackets, fit and wire up the switches so I don't suppose its commercially viable for an alarm fitter - maybe take 2 days instead of 2 hours and what can he charge for it. Especially if he has busted some of the trim prising it off. But only got to work once to make it worth it to me and gives me peace of mind when asleep knowing that no one can get in without waking me (and half the neighbourhood probably)

I always set our alarm at night when sleeping, turning off the inside sensors so we can use the Loo etc during the night, I also have dead locks key operated on both front doors internally and also extra locking arrangement on the Habitation door with quick internal release in case of emergency exit needed in case of Fire ? We wild camp in Europe extensively and have done 30 years with NO problems any where. it seems that these days no one takes much notice of car alarms going off, it is so common place now , but the alarm would wake you up as an occupant of your van.

John52 - 2021-06-24 10:09 AM

Good advice

Well its pissingdoon here today so I'm out to the garage to explore this brilliant idea.

I expect to have everything in bits and a puzzled look by this evening.

vindiboy - 2021-06-25 11:53 AM

it seems that these days no one takes much notice of car alarms going off,

Well they have always scarpered as soon as it went off. :-D

Maybe nobody takes much notice of other people's alarms going off, but the owner takes notice of his own. Spare a though for the thieves who don't know who or where he is - could be a lunatic appear swinging a crowbar (lol)

Better than nothing anyway

CurtainRaiser - 2021-06-25 12:55 PM

Well its pissingdoon here today so I'm out to the garage to explore this brilliant idea.

I expect to have everything in bits and a puzzled look by this evening.

You need an alarm that has a connection for door switches.

- not all of them do - I use an old Sparkrite SR100 alarm.

Usually connected to the pin switches that activate the courtesy light.

But the thieves have got the door open by then.

I fit switches to the door handle linkage so it goes off when the door handle is pulled - even if the door is locked. I disable all the other features as they are no longer necessary and often lead to false alarms. Especially the shock sensors that are set off by passing heavy traffic.

I remember taking a wrong turnng and driving the lorry down a residential street in the early morning.

Set off about a dozen car alarms as I drove past :$

So I didn't hang about to ask directions and got out of there PDQ :-D

Archived