Recycling old fridge

Keith Brown

Hello all,

Not sure if anyone has some advice out there, but we have just had a new Thetford fridge fitted to our motorhome. All was going swimmingly until I tried to get rid of the old one - I took it to the local recycling centre and the gentlemen there watched me lug it over to electrical pile before stating "We can't take those fridges here, you'll have to load it back in" After a conversation it transpires that all the County recycling centre tips have the same rule. They won't take old fridges from Motorhomes / caravans / boats or statics.

They suggested I contact a private recycyling centre, which I did. They will very happily recycle it for me, but only after I have paid them £150.00!!!

No wonder fly tipping is on the increase - Recycling costs the earth!

Has anybody out there got an alternative solution or experienced similar problems? I would appreciate any guidance at all.

It sems this might be a looming problem as motorhoming / caravaning is getting more popular and there will eventually be masses of old fridges needing recycling.

Thanks a lot for any comments, it is appreciated.

Keith

Don't know what was wrong with your old one but the parts may still be useable, someone might take the whole thing for spares if you advertise. I have had to replace gas and electric parts over trhe years and trhe fridge still was useable after 25 years

But would they have allowed you to leave a ordinary house hold fridge?

Our recycling depot have a sign Fridges Here no mention of types when we bought a new freezer last year AO took the old one away for £20 as will several other firms if you buy new from them

I know that our local authority (Derbyshire) only take domestic type compressor fridges and not caravan type absorption fridges because they contain ammonia.

Try advertising it ,as Steve has suggested, on Gumtree or your local freecycle for example.

when we changed our fridge first i took off the PCB then just took ithe fridge to our local council reclamation center, no problem, maybe because nobody was watching me, I put the PCB on Gumtree for £85. (the price for a new PCB was roughtly £400.) and in a week I had a buyer from Germany who bought it without quibble.

I didn't realise that Gumtree was also seen in the EU,

Grumpy Grandad - 2021-07-07 10:17 PM

I had very similar at our local council recycling a few years ago. I took the old type tv tube out of the casing, and they wouldn't accept because it wasn't in the casing. Crazy !!

That was probably because old Tellies etc are shipped to India and other for reuse, they throw little away there ?

Archived