2 litre water bottles

monty

For the last 16 yrs we have always bought bottled water from tesco, Sainsbury or other supermarkets, and then used the 2 litre bottles in our van to carry our drinking water in, filling up from the campsite tap as required. These have always been strong enough to last out our whole camping trip (up to 6 weeks) without any problems. Until now ! The bottles now being used are too thin for our needs, I assume that this is a deliberate attempt by supermarkets to reduce plastic useage, for which they should be applauded, but what about us poor campervanners?

I would gladly pay decent money for a "proper" 2 litre bottle if it was strong, indeed we now use a small (50cl ish) bottle from Ikea on our bikes which I can highly recommend, if only they did a 2 litre one...

Any suggestions, or does everyone just drink the water stored in the van's water tank?

If you GOOGLE-search on “2 litre water bottle” I’m sure there must be an available product that would suit your requirements.

For example, this bottle certainly ain’t cheap, but it’s stainless steel and comes with a bag.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223700309062?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

or there’s this 2.2litre cheaper bottle from Argos

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7546392?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=30f62ea9-9626-4cac-97c8-9ff3921f8558&istItemId=ixilqiwpw&istBid=t

We use our fresh water tank!

I know some are hypersensitive these days but we've never had a problem across many countries and for more years than most!

We used to caravan with a fresh water tank before Motorhoming and obviously before bottled water was readily available.

EJB - 2021-07-07 10:05 AM

We use our fresh water tank!

I know some are hypersensitive these days but we've never had a problem across many countries and for more years than most!

We used to caravan with a fresh water tank before Motorhoming and obviously before bottled water was readily available.

So did we - for over 50 years - with no issues other than the inherrent addiction for travel that leading a part time nomadic life seems to induce!

That said we always carried immodium just in case, but we never needed it!

We always flushed the tank out with good old fashioned treated UK Tapolene after each trip and again at the start of winter layup and again before starting again in spring.

It worked for us - and I do have a very sensitive bowel!

Recycled Coke (other brands are available) or other carbonated drinks bottles capable of withstanding pressure are stronger and much more durable than flimsy water bottles. Even milk containers, we found the two litre easiest to handle, flushed out work well and are easy to store.

You can get 10 x 4 pint milk bottles in one of these widely available 'really useful' plastic boxes

So if they leak it contains the water in the box

And you can use different colour bottle tops for where the water came from, so keep the best for drinking.

Easy to see how clean they are.

I carry a stack of them and use it like a table.

reallyuseful35l.thumb.jpg.696a8cbdcfd4c951c6dc0392b013d750.jpg

Europlonk, (RAF) wine available from all French supermarkets. Drink contents, then recover then use as water bottles filled from the tap.We've had 2 or 3 of these for the last 15-20 years. We also have no fears of using the water in the tank.

Jeremy

cubivin.thumb.jpg.53a0df60273ef410f3121286f8818126.jpg

I had (perhaps wrongly?) assumed that the OP used 2Ltr bottles, so that they could be chilled in the fridge? (assuming they fit theirs?).

If they don't need to fit in a fridge, then any easily available plastic camping "jerry can" type water container should suffice?

examples

https://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/camping-equipment/camping-accessories/water-carriers.html

(I would steer away from "collapsible" ones tho' , as they tend to split).

Thanks for all your thoughts. Two 2 litre bottles works perfectly for us in the confines of our vw t5, easy to store and easy to pour into kettle. We use the still water bottles because we have them at home as the mains water isn't that nice to drink, but ok in tea and coffee.

We already have a 10 litre container for filling the main tank, which we just use for washing, but this is too unwieldy for filling the kettle and storing in the van's confined living area.

I will try the carbonated bottles, logically they should be stronger, but will see if they have also been thinned. The reason for this post is that our current bottle developed a crack and soaked the floor of the van....

Our current theory is actually that it's not the tank that causes the mouldy smell to the water, but the mains water from home which we use at the start of the holiday, which then psychologically puts us off using it even when we have used it up.

Our grandkids get through a lot of diet coke etc and the bottles feel to me the same as they ever did. They do have to be able to contain quite a high pressure should the bottle get all shook up and if we were vanning now we would still be using them as extra water back up when well away from any reliable fresh water source.

Even 'el cheapo' fizzy drinks bottles (pour away the unpalatable contents and help keep your drains clear!) should be as good and a lot cheaper than recognised containers.

Milk containers are just as good and being rectangular they store and stand better and even come with a convenient handle - assuming you drink milk that is?

We buy Lidl's Soda water in 1 litre plastic bottles,these are made of thick plastic ? and are ideal for water also, 30 p a litre for soda water a bargain we think,and a very nice drink , we also keep these in our fridge ,

Water for tea and coffee etc is kept in a plastic water container [ not refrigerated ] containers easily obtained from camping shops, Poundland, bargain buys etc, or we also have an empty 4 litre vinegar container , very thick plastic and ideal for water holding, We do not drink the water from our main water tank, no reason not too but it is something we have never done, I sterilise the tank often with sterilising tablets and oft times with a drop of Milton [i know, I know ] but hey ho have been doing that for many many years with no problems,

I like Cider, I buy this from Lidl's too it comes in a 2 litre bottle , when empty it would make a very good water container, strong bottle because the Cider is pressurised , the bottle is Brown however , but I don't see that as a problem.

monty - 2021-07-07 6:02 PM

our current bottle developed a crack and soaked the floor of the van....

Inevitable when its getting reused and knocked about in a van. Thats why I keep them in a plastic box, and milk bottles being rectangular gets me the most water in the box. Being translucent I can see it and whether there is any muck or algae growing in it before I pour and drink it. If I fill from a suspect tap I can hold the bottle up to the light alongside another to compare how clear it is, if any doubt put a different colour top on and use it just for washing.

monty - 2021-07-07 6:02 PM

Our current theory is actually that it's not the tank that causes the mouldy smell to the water, but the mains water from home which we use at the start of the holiday, which then psychologically puts us off using it even when we have used it up.

My understanding is that once the mains water is exposed to the air the chlorine evaporates off, making it susceptible to algae growth. Some people keep a jug of water in the fridge to let the chlorine evaporate off and get rid of the chlorine taste, whilst keeping it chilled to keep it fresh and clean. Being in a plastic box I can leave the tops off the bottles without water slopping on the floor or muck getting in.

Tracker - 2021-07-07 11:55 AM

Makes a handy table too Jeremy - full or empty!!

I get 15 gallons of water in my side table, can see how clean it is, can mark different batches with different colour bottle tops, so I can use it in rotation or different batches for different purposes.

I must say, pretty astonished at the lengths people will go to, to avoid a sturdy relatively inexpensive BPA free water bottle. Are these variable disposable bottles BPA free I wonder? Is your health worth the minor monetary saving if not?

John52 - 2021-07-07 9:35 PM

I get 15 gallons of water in my side table, can see how clean it is, can mark different batches with different colour bottle tops, so I can use it in rotation or different batches for different purposes.

Seriously, is this for real? "darning his socks in the night when nobody's there" springs to mind.

curdle - 2021-07-07 9:41 PM

I must say, pretty astonished at the lengths people will go to, to avoid a sturdy relatively inexpensive BPA free water bottle. Are these variable disposable bottles BPA free I wonder? Is your health worth the minor monetary saving if not?

They do say the margin between genius and insanity is narrow but I would imagine that if a bottle is safe enough to hold carbonated drinks with heaven knows what chemicals in it it should be safe to hold genuine tapolene - also with heaven knows what chemicals in it?

Perhaps an expert chemist can advise us - with so many other experts on here surely chemistry is not asking too much?

curdle - 2021-07-07 9:45 PM

John52 - 2021-07-07 9:35 PM

Seriously, is this for real? "darning his socks in the night when nobody's there" springs to mind.

More like 'writing the words of a sermon that no-one will hear' (lol)

Tracker - 2021-07-07 11:02 PM

curdle - 2021-07-07 9:41 PM

They do say the margin between genius and insanity is narrow but I would imagine that if a bottle is safe enough to hold carbonated drinks with heaven knows what chemicals in it it should be safe to hold genuine tapolene - also with heaven knows what chemicals in it?

Perhaps an expert chemist can advise us - with so many other experts on here surely chemistry is not asking too much?

Or safe enough to hold milk.

Reminds me of hospital visitors asking hard pressed nurses to fetch water from the drinking water tap.

(Only difference is the other water may have gone via a separate tank rather than straight from the mains. This might have mattered when the loft tank might be a rusty metal thing with the lid missing and a dead pigeon floating in like when the health inspector called in Fawlty Towers. But the water tank in a hospital will be plastic with a close fitting lid and a lot of water going through it to keep it fresh)

Hospital's overflowing with people who are ill must be full of germs and the least of our worries is the water from the tap.

But, not using campsites, I'm still a bit wary of water from a tap I'm not sure of.

Love the debate that I have set off!

Not sure about the plastic milk containers. I've never thought the tops were that secure, so I think I will go down the carbonated bottle route.

Should my next query be what container does everyone use to store their face(mask) by the door?

monty - 2021-07-08 10:59 AM

Not sure about the plastic milk containers. I've never thought the tops were that secure,

They aren't, but I keep them in a strong plastic box so it doesn't matter. The outside of the bottles invariably get wet when I am filling and pouring them so there is always a bit of water in the bottom of the box anyway. I just spray in a little bleach or vinegar to stop it growing mould.

Archived