Hymer Drawer Handles : Pitting of Chrome

Robinhood

I've been prompted into posting this by a thread on an other motorhome forum, which indicates that the issue may be quite widespread.

The chrome drawer handles on my 2018 Hymer started pitting quite badly at 2 years old. It made them quite unsightly, and it rather looked like it was going to progress.

I considered complaining to the dealer, but it was out of warranty, and at that point I had no indication that it was anything but an individual problem (albeit all 5 handles of the same design were showing at least some signs).

On measuring the mounting centres (for two different lengths - differing drawer widths), it appeared that they were "industry standard" at 160 and 256mm respectively.

A search around the web for polished chrome handles that would clear the "positive-locking" catches mounted behind the handle ensued, and I finally ended up with these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164714152621

A quick query elicited the response that the clearance for the lock catch was sufficient, and five were purchased (two sizes) for less than £20 delivered. They match the other hardware well, work perfectly, and (IMO) look rather better than the originals anyway.

It would now appear that this is a common issue on Hymers for the last 5 or 6 years at least, so the information may be of use to some. It would appear that it has occurred on replacement handles for replacement handles supplied under warranty, so an alternative (matching) design is probably a good idea.

You say your Hymer is 2018 and this pitting started two years ago, so 2019 when just a year old? I'd have been straight back to the dealer to fix it/replace them and would do so today as well. Under the consumer rights act you have the expectation of a reasonable period of warranty and even three years wouldn't be reasonable. IMHO and IANAL of course

ColinM50 - 2021-07-08 10:09 AM

You say your Hymer is 2018 and this pitting started two years ago

...no, I said at two years old (initially minor signs, and after end of warranty).

As I said, I had no indication at that time as to it being a common problem (I only hit the post that indicated so yesterday). It might well have been blamed on cleaning method or whatever.

I've already said that I considered approaching my dealer, but they are 4 hours drive away (something I accepted at the time for the vehicle and deal I wanted, and still of little concern overall), though they have agreed warranty work in the past from 'photos, where there has been an obvious, original problem (they replaced the "bathroom" door due to a badly fitted seal on the basis of such).

For the princely sum of £16.74, delivered, for a better-looking solution, frankly, it wasn't worth the hassle. YMMV ;-)

(and, it would appear that replacing with OE handles might well have been a continually repeating process).

Good tip

White plastic coating last longer, but it doesn't have that wow factor you get from chrome when its new.

So they fit chrome because it sells.

I had chrome wire baskets that started pitting after a couple of years.

Just took them off and dipped them in white gloss paint

Paint doesn't stick well to chrome, but since its quite thick, and the wire is thin, it wraps around the wire and holds itself on. Lasting better than the chrome :-D

Robinhood - 2021-07-08 10:27 AM

it would appear that replacing with OE handles might well have been a continually repeating process.

I suspect you will find the same with the replacement handles too. But at least they are cheaper :-D

John52 - 2021-07-08 11:55 AM

I suspect you will find the same with the replacement handles too. But at least they are cheaper :-D

I might, but these are decent-branded, kitchen quality handles, so my (current) expectation is that they will last longer. (and if they don't, then £5 p.a. won't break me ;-) )

Archived