Hymer water problem

Jack

I am seeking some help, once again!

The motorhome is a Hymer B 544SL (2007) and the problem is relating to the fresh water and waste water not registration on the control panel (DT 201). The alarm symbol is constantly flashing and showing the tanks are at 0%.

I have checked the connection (sensor in the fresh water tank) and appears to be ok. If the problem is the sensors can this be checked more accurately that it is operating or not. Could the problem be linked to the control panel?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Jack - 2021-07-09 3:32 PM

I am seeking some help, once again!

The motorhome is a Hymer B 544SL (2007) and the problem is relating to the fresh water and waste water not registration on the control panel (DT 201). The alarm symbol is constantly flashing and showing the tanks are at 0%.

I have checked the connection (sensor in the fresh water tank) and appears to be ok. If the problem is the sensors can this be checked more accurately that it is operating or not. Could the problem be linked to the control panel?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

Has the DT201 panel been set with the correct values in the original set up?

I.E. Has all the values been inputted correctly.

It may also be that there is a small fault within the sensors inside your water tank.

On ours, when the fresh water tank is 100% full, it only shows as 75% full on the DT201 panel

As Jack has owned the Hymer for 7 years it’s fair to assume that the control panel used to provide (reasonably) accurate water-tank contents read-outs.

I notice that in March 2021 Jack was considering replacing the Hymer’s leisure battery

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Help-to-interpret-what-is-showing-on-the-control-panel/57820/

so - if the replacement happened - that MIGHT have something to do with the current issue.

Thanks for the responses:-

A little bit of the sequence of events, Derek, northing gets past you! :-) I did replace the habitation battery with a 110 wet lead one and everything worked satisfactorily, as far as I know until the last time we used the van. On one occasion the panel showed 0%, as now, then registered the water level correctly. A few days ago when refilled the fresh water tank I was presented with the situation as mentioned in my initial post.

I have not as yet re-programmed the DT201 panel but will try that to see if any difference.

Derek did you have something specific in mind when you made reference to "changing the battery'?

Thanks again,

Jack

Jack - 2021-07-10 2:08 PM..................On one occasion the panel showed 0%, as now, then registered the water level correctly. A few days ago when refilled the fresh water tank I was presented with the situation as mentioned in my initial post.......................

Thanks again,

Jack

This is no better than a guess, but the probes can accumulate layers of algae that interfere with their conductivity. So is it possible that the probes in the tank have become coated and the DT 201 can no longer read the resulting signals?

Depending on the design of the tank, and its position, this may be possible through a tank access hatch, or it may require the disconnection and removal of the probes for cleaning. It may even be possible to clear the problem by using a sterilising solution in the tank which should effectively kill any algae, although it may not remove the coating.

The first test would be to see if the probes have a slippery, or slimy, feel to the touch. If they do, it will indicate the possibility of algal deposits. There should be no need to use anything more than clean water, possibly with a little dilute bleach or detergent, to wipe the probes individually from top to bottom until they have lost that slippery feel. If the problem is algal, that should be sufficient for the DT201 to resume normal service. Worth a try, perhaps, before making any more radical interventions?

Looks like the sensor are of the type which have metal rods of various lengths inserted into the tank. These rods get full of gunk/oxidation. Take the whole sensor our and give the rods a clean. Can be tested by dipping into a bowl of water while connected to the control panel.

fripp - 2021-07-10 2:54 PM

Looks like the sensor are of the type which have metal rods of various lengths inserted into the tank. These rods get full of gunk/oxidation. Take the whole sensor our and give the rods a clean. Can be tested by dipping into a bowl of water while connected to the control panel.

I did this quite a while ago. My DT201 only shows 100% when the water is full to the brim of the tank.

Quickly drops to 75 % after a little use, such as after washing up, filling up of our whistling kettle, and body wash in shower.

Stays at 75% for a while, then correctly goes down to 50% and then 25%.

The waste tank indication / % shown on our DT201 is correct I presume.

The probs on the fresh water sensor are clean no accumulation of algae, the waste sensor still registering but needed cleaning.

Have reset the DT201 panel and turned the alarm off. I did not realise that was possible, what is the alarm for, when turned on? I am trying to remove the offending sensor for further testing but I'm finding it difficult to undo the plastic nut inside the tank.

Jack - 2021-07-12 2:32 PM

The probs on the fresh water sensor are clean no accumulation of algae, the waste sensor still registering but needed cleaning.

Have reset the DT201 panel and turned the alarm off. I did not realise that was possible, what is the alarm for, when turned on? I am trying to remove the offending sensor for further testing but I'm finding it difficult to undo the plastic nut inside the tank.

Can you get a spanner through the access hatch?

You need water pump pliers, cheap as chips.

Link to ToolStation

(Edited to shorten link to correct page width error- Keithl)

Are you on about an audible alarm, or just the DT201 flashing to show that your tank is empty

It was about the DT201 alarm flashing when the tank had water in but not registering the fact that there was water.

Have tried those grips, not much room to apply successfully!

The standard Basin Wrench (bath too big and sink too small) I was going to get a Basin Wrench which has a expanding claw one end attached to a bar.

Archived