Do we need a spare tyre?

Marlow nick

StuartO - 2021-07-26 10:54 AM

simian -l…….

Some tyre fitters are reluctant or even refuse to touch a wheel, fixed with a sealant goo application, I believe it

messes up their fingernails.

I used sealant goo on motorcycle tyres for many years and tyre changes and although tyre fitters don’t like repairs on goo-filled tyres I don’t remember it being a cause of complaint when it was time to fit new tyres. The goo seemed to be very effective in preventing rapid deflation after a puncture and you would mostly notice nothing until you spotted the nail or screw in the tread. A valuable safety addition to motorcycling.

But I’ve never goo in my MH tyres - but then my old bus carries a spare.

Much depends on the level of competency to DIY or level of willingness, an individual is prepared to apply. It's obvious that the first thing to consider is 'what would I do' in the worst case scenario eg blowout/puncture overseas in rush hour Tours or nighttime halfway through the Somport (I know it's lit!). Recovery hopefully turns up "where's your spare tyre rosbif" demands the recovery homme.

I think carrying a sealant can, possibly X2 (to ensure inflation) is a sensible standby first aid measure. Imagine there you are tyre deflated very awkward to change wheel due to nearby heavy dangerous traffic. A quick application of the sealant may well make it possible to get to a safe refuge. In such a case any downsides to using a sealant would be of a very secondary importance.

Weight/size of couple of cans of sealant negligible, level of expertise needed to apply zilch. Must remember to buy some LoL.

Perhaps surprisingly I find it generally simpler changing the tyres & puncture repairing on the motorhome rather than the skinny excuses for tyres on the 125cc.

Like wise my old bus carries a spare, unfortunately lorry style, ie under the rear of the van. 2 nuts to remove a cradle then a worm and roller gear winch to lower the thing on a polyprop. line, via a crank handle inserted in the rear valance!

simian - 2021-07-26 1:31 PM

StuartO - 2021-07-26 10:54 AM

simian -l…….

Some tyre fitters are reluctant or even refuse to touch a wheel, fixed with a sealant goo application, I believe it

messes up their fingernails.

I used sealant goo on motorcycle tyres for many years and tyre changes and although tyre fitters don’t like repairs on goo-filled tyres I don’t remember it being a cause of complaint when it was time to fit new tyres. The goo seemed to be very effective in preventing rapid deflation after a puncture and you would mostly notice nothing until you spotted the nail or screw in the tread. A valuable safety addition to motorcycling.

But I’ve never goo in my MH tyres - but then my old bus carries a spare.

Much depends on the level of competency to DIY or level of willingness, an individual is prepared to apply.

You have omitted physical fitness and age !

;-)

ColinM50 - 2021-07-26 12:24 PM

...To the OP, if you haven't got one get a underslung frame...

The OP’s Benimar Tessoro 481 motorhome has a spare wheel as standard, carried in a tall externally-accessed locker midway along the vehicle. (See photo in my posting of 24 July 2021 9:02 AM above)

The OP’s motorhome is Ford Transit Mk 8-based and, although a ‘windlass’ spare-wheel carrier system similar to the Ducato’s is available for Transit, it’s unlikely that there would be sufficient space under a Tessoro 481 to fit the carrier mechanism and spare wheel. My 2005 Transit-based Hobby motorhome had this type of spare wheel carrier, but the waste-water tank that’s commonly at the rear of a coachbuilt motorhome was just behind the cab on the Hobby.

We have a Toyota jaw which came with a spray can inflator rather than a spare wheel so I bought a space saver wheel and tyre to take with us. But there is nowhere on or in the car to carry it so it’s stayed at home in the garage. We towed this car on a trailer, mostly abroad, but relied on being able to recover it using the trailer if necessary so its spare stayed in the garage. The trailer had its own spare though.

We’ve had the iQ for ten years and bought new tyres for it at least once but have never used the spare.

Quote [ You have omitted physical fitness and age ! ]

I was counting on this thread being read in conjunction with the concurrently running related thread 'Do you carry a tyre pump?' Where I sure I've mentioned that I'm an old git. The only real claim to fitness I can make is that unlike the van, I don't have a spare tyre! And having the willpower to remain sober definitely helps when pulling those tyre levers!

In other words if can I do it so can Mr Average, with a bit of added DIY nouse to be fair. Whether it makes sense to however, is something else entirely. :D

simian - 2021-07-26 3:00 PM

Where I sure I've mentioned that I'm an old git.

D

Being an "old git " is relative.

When I was 20 I thought old gits were people over 40.

I now think you have to be at least 80 or 90 before you can claim to be an old git.

When I started touring Europe back in the sixties we took spare inner tubes, tyre levers, fan belts, clutch cables, spare carburettor jets. and even a spare fuel pump at one time. Wouldn't dream of calling for assistance ( I'm not sure there was any available anyway).

One of the factors that makes me a bit reluctant to embark on long tours is the realisation that I'm not as independent as I used to be.

There comes a time to all of us when ' willpower ' is just not enough.

So, any forum members who are 'really ' old gits, who can still change a wheel on their motorhome - good luck to you - long may you continue to be able to do so !

;-)

malc d - 2021-07-26 3:26 PM

simian - 2021-07-26 3:00 PM

Where I sure I've mentioned that I'm an old git.

D

Being an "old git " is relative.

When I was 20 I thought old gits were people over 40.

I now think you have to be at least 80 or 90 before you can claim to be an old git.

When I started touring Europe back in the sixties we took spare inner tubes, tyre levers, fan belts, clutch cables, spare carburettor jets. and even a spare fuel pump at one time. Wouldn't dream of calling for assistance ( I'm not sure there was any available anyway).

One of the factors that makes me a bit reluctant to embark on long tours is the realisation that I'm not as independent as I used to be.

There comes a time to all of us when ' willpower ' is just not enough.

So, any forum members who are 'really ' old gits, who can still change a wheel on their motorhome - good luck to you - long may you continue to be able to do so !

;-)

When I first started touring twas a particular part of southern Europe, I was lying in a pram being pushed around

whilst sucking on a dummy!

Now, with my first C1 Medical passed and under my belt perhaps I can consider myself as a kind of junior "old git".

Mind you the so called C1 Medical didn't amount to more than reading the first line on the Snellen Chart, and a Blood Press. check. Plus the fee......of course. It just about proved I was alive !

Archived