Do we need a spare tyre?

Marlow nick

Hi,

We've just bought our first motorhome, a 6m 3.5T Benimar based on a Ford Transit. We're still trying to work out how to optimise space & weight and the most obvious challenge / opportunity is the spare tyre. Has anyone found a way to do without it?

I assume due to the weight it's not possible to get run flat tyres. Or are they an option?

I assume that a foam spray puncture repair kit is also not suitable. Or is that a valid option?

The third option is doing without any spare and crossing our fingers which doesn't make me comfortable. Or is there an option to rely on one of the breakdown services (AA, RAC etc)?

Sorry if this question is obvious to experienced motorhomes but we're still very new to this

Nick

If you intend to rely on RAC/AA cover it would be best to check their terms and conditions as I think you may find that breakdown cover is very limited if you are not carrying the spare wheel / puncture kit in a useable condition that was supplied with the van when new.

Nice compact motorhome. I notice that the spare wheel tends to be carried in the locker at the side. I think you should buy some tyre gunk, some plugs and a jack. To be honest I have a mk7 based transit and over 6 years have never suffered a puncture. Check your tyres on a regular basis and replace before they get too old. Worst case is you get stranded but these days you can pay a mobile tyre company to come out. I guess you also need to consider where you intend to go.

Our previous van - a 6m Chausson Flash S2 - was specified with a puncture repair kit instead of a spare wheel.

And there really wasn't anywhere to install one - all the space underneath the van had been used by the converter with waste water tank etc.

I was always seriously concerned about getting a puncture or blowout, especially when travelling long distances abroad.

Fortunately, in just over five years of ownership and many trips across the continent, we didn't suffer any problems with the tyres.

But when it came to buying a new van, a spare wheel (or the facility to add one) was an essential! Fortunately, our Rapido V68 pvc came with one as standard - slung underneath. And when it is serviced, I always ask the garage to check the restraining mechanism is operating properly and well greased. Again, in five more years of trouble free motorhoming, we've thankfully not needed to press the spare into action. But I travel much more relaxed now, in the knowledge it's there if needed. B-)

I've got a 2016 7.4mtr Rapido, had it for 5 years and covered over 22000 miles across Europe and UK and I don't have a spare wheel, I don't have anywhere to put one or the free weight to carry one either. I don't really have space to even carry a spare tyre. What I've got is a Tyre Pressure Management System and I've had gunge injected into each wheel which supposedly makes them self sealing. Every time I go out in the van I keep everything crossed but if you carry a spare what happens if you get 2 flat tyres? I'm insured with Comfort and they cover me for punctures even if I don't carry a spare and I know that if I'm in some countries they might have to replace both tyres on an axle. It's just something I've got to manage.

I’ve owned our current 3.9 ton MH for 15 years and done over 100,000 km but have never suffered a puncture calling for a roadside wheel change. We’ve had to be recovered to a garage for other reasons three times and had reason to drive to a garage for urgent help abroad once and suffered a slow puncture and an MOT failure for a damaged tyre but no actual roadside wheel changes. So on that basis we could have managed without a spare, although having a spare tyre with us has saved us money and proved very useful once.

But I have traditional anxieties about alternatives to spare wheels and continue to carry one. On my motorbike I’ve used puncture-preventing goo to good effect and that would be a good option for a MH because that stuff does prevent sudden deflation due to a puncture. And spare wheels are very heavy!

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums., Nick.

The Benimar Tessoro 481’s standard specification includes four alloy wheels and a ‘full size spare wheel’ (that I assume means a steel wheel).

This New Zealand 2019 review

https://www.nzmcd.co.nz/reviews/motorhomes/benimar-tessaro-481-review/

includes the following advice

Exterior

The 481 has a body length of just 5990mm and a tare mass of about 3000kg, making it quite a small package. A combination of fibreglass composite walls and mouldings makes it reasonably streamlined. Double-glazed acrylic awning windows are used all round and the Skyview hatch window above the driver’s cab certainly catches the eye.

The Euro-style door and the adjacent window can be open at the same time, which is notable since not all manufacturers seem to be able to achieve this. Surprisingly, for a small motorhome, there is not one but two external storage compartments - a smaller one behind the passenger door and a much larger one mid-offside.

The size of the larger compartment is not quite as good as it appears since the spare wheel and bed ladder are also found here, but there is still room for camping gear. The compartment is also accessible from inside the motorhome, which is handy but, unfortunately, the ladder can only be retrieved via the external door. (Image attached below.)

Dispensing with the spare wheel would gain you some space and lose some weight (say 30kg). However, a Tessoro 481 should have adequate payload and the positioning of the locker housing the spare wheel is ideally well within the vehicle’s wheelbase where the wheel’s weight should have no appreciable effect on the motorhome’s handling. The dedicated locker also means that - should the wheel be needed - access to it should be easy.

To the best of my knowledge run-flat tyres sutable for motorhomes are not available and ‘gunk’ puncture repair kits won’t deal with a badly damaged tyre or a tyre-valve failure.

On motorhome forums spare-wheel-related enquiries have tended to be about how to carry one rather than the implcations of not carryng one. As your 481 has one (and it’s get-at-able) you’d be very unwise to dispense with it.

This 2019 MHFun forum discussion may be of interest

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/spare-wheels-do-i-really-need-to-carry-one.201863/

481.jpg.a0bb59dadd8b90166e555dc7edc9f64f.jpg

I wouldnt be without one. Ours is slung under the back of the van in a cradle but its a right PIA to get out. However I would never attempt to change it myself anyway so I just call recovery. In 13 years of ownership Ive needed to do that four times. A blow out in northern France on a Sunday. We would have been stuffed without the spare as the chances of a repair on a Sunday in France would be pretty slim. Just let the recovery bloke change the wheel. Same in Belgium in Ghent. Came back to the van to find a rear tyre flat. That was dealt with within the hour. South of France on the Med noticed a slow puncture while parked up by the sea, just called the recovery people again and watched them change it with a beer. (lol). Also needed it changing in Germany. There may have been others but those are the ones I remember. We do a lot of miles though (or we used to).

As others have said if your vehicle officially comes with a spare you could be on a sticky wicket with the recovery people without one but maybe not depending on who what and where I guess.

I wouldn't go away anywhere without a spare.

I'm surprised that some people say " well, I've never needed one, so I don't carry one " - a bit like saying ' I don't take travel insurance because I've never been ill on holiday '

Seems to be an unnecessary gamble as far as I am concerned.

:-|

malc d - 2021-07-24 10:40 AM

I'm surprised that some people say " well, I've never needed one, so I don't carry one " - a bit like saying ' I don't take travel insurance because I've never been ill on holiday '

I think it comes down to how risk averse individuals are. For many not having a spare wheel is not a problem, for others it would spoil their get away worrying about it, some can afford the extra time it may take to get fixed and possible expense, for others they are on a tight schedule and it would ruin their break. Some will make decisions based on personal experience eg I have not had a problem in 7 years and over 70k miles so if I get a puncture tomorrow then fair enough, others have had multiple punctures and couldn't possibly contemplate going anywhere without a spare. I don't agree with you comparing it with travel insurance because most will have breakdown insurance, I see a better comparison being something like Gap insurance, some see it as essential others wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Spare wheels are not usually supplied with commercial vehicles. Fleet operators don't usually carry a spare because they buy a lot of tyres and will get a better deal from the tyre breakdown company than we do.

But I like to carry one.

You can usually get a replacement tyre straightaway - at a price.

But if the rim has been run flat and damaged you could be in for a long wait for a new wheel.

It’s a matter of personal choice, as stated check with your breakdown companies terms and conditions. Over our last five vans all bought new, two had spare wheels three didn’t, on the 2003 Bessacar it came with the repair kit, had a puncture in 2005 that entered through the sidewall, the gunk just ran down the road complete waste of time, luckily I had got the dealer to supply me with a spare and the carrier. The next two had spares. Our current 2019 Burstner came with a kit but no spare. But over nearly 130,000 miles thats the only puncture. Other possible problems is the fact some European garages will only fit matching tires on the same axle so you may end up having to buy two tyres should you get a puncture that cant be repaired. And quite often they will have to order in Camping car tyres.

costaexpress - 2021-07-24 12:33 PM

I don't agree with you comparing it with travel insurance because most will have breakdown insurance,

I take your point, but, although having breakdown insurance may cover the cost, I don't see it covering the inconvenience.

I imagine I am out in the middle of nowhere, on a very wet day possibly, and I get a puncture.

Once the breakdown company turns up - I have my spare wheel ready for them - and I am on my way again within half an hour ( or less ).

If I don't have a spare wheel - the breakdown company turns up - I tell them I don't have a spare wheel -- what is the procedure ?

I hate to think how long it would be before I am on my way again.

Maybe a forum member who has had that happen could tell us what their experience was ?

2 reasons I changed vans recently were; 1) the first van didn’t have a passenger air bag and having my wife in Intensive Care with 2 broken legs just over 6 years ago has made me appreciate the importance of safety devices, the air bags literally saved her life. 2) the previous van didn’t have a spare wheel, in 6 years we only had one puncture and luckily it was a straightforward repair so back on our way within an hour (luckily the breakdown base was only 3 miles away so off with the tyre, repaired, returned, fitted). It did have a TPMS so was alerted in good time and was able to get to a lay-by before the tyre was damaged. Accidents and punctures happen so why take the risk possibly being in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday?

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Not being a gambler I think we need to continue to carry the spare. Unfortunately cradling it under the van won't work since that's where the grey water tank sits so it looks like we'll have to leave the tyre in the side storage and cancel plans for buying a gas bbq... One of the space trade offs for choosing a 6m van but having just got back from Cornwall I'm very glad we kept things small.

Taking just the tyre itself can be a reasonable compromise. Store a 12v inflator pump in it, anything to

fill otherwise wasted space. If you're DIY inclined carry a sticky worms puncture repair kit as a get

you home fix. Depending where you're unlucky enough to get a puncture it's not unknown for the correct tyre

replacement not to be immediately available.

Some tyre fitters are reluctant or even refuse to touch a wheel, fixed with a sealant goo application, I believe it

messes up their fingernails LoL

With tyre performance ie puncture resistance being much better these days, not carrying a spare isn't

thought of by some, as a risk too far as it once was.

Alternatively get a rear dual wheel axle van, on mine in theory it'll run on 3 tyres without overloading the single

tyre load rating, and in practise on a couple of occasions has done just that.

Marlow nick - 2021-07-24 5:19 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies...

In 2016 there was a similar enquiry to yours on the MotorHomeFun forum

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/spare-wheel-202.140892/

The discussiion mentioned the Benimar UK Owners Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1677931632528139/

and included a photo (copy attached below) of a spare-wheel attached to the rear wall of a Benimar Mileo 202 model with a spare-wheel storage locker. I don’t know what size wheel the Mileo 202 in the photo had (15”?) but It’s something you might consider if you really wanted to free up space in your 481’s locker.

(I’ve not seen a Tessoro 481 in the flesh, but online photos of the tall side-locker suggest to me that there MIGHT be room to store a small gas BBQ if a shelf were added above where the spare wheel sits.)

31020825_sparewheelcover.png.8acb7e227e44bacb7cbe8354e9b5c8f8.png

malc d - 2021-07-24 2:15 PM

costaexpress - 2021-07-24 12:33 PM

I don't agree with you comparing it with travel insurance because most will have breakdown insurance,

I take your point, but, although having breakdown insurance may cover the cost, I don't see it covering the inconvenience.

I imagine I am out in the middle of nowhere, on a very wet day possibly, and I get a puncture.

Once the breakdown company turns up - I have my spare wheel ready for them - and I am on my way again within half an hour ( or less ).

If I don't have a spare wheel - the breakdown company turns up - I tell them I don't have a spare wheel -- what is the procedure ?

I hate to think how long it would be before I am on my way again.

Maybe a forum member who has had that happen could tell us what their experience was ?

I 100% agree with your comment, my only point is that if you do not currently have one I would weigh up the hassle of getting one, a fixing kit and fitting it plus the extra weight against the off chance that you may one day in the future get a puncture. If it does happen, it is true, you are likely to be waiting longer to get it fixed, if that possibility is unacceptable either because you are very busy or the thought of it is too much of a worry then I would also advise anyone to get a spare wheel fitted. I certainly wouldn't go to the extreme measure that one poster has of changing his van just to get a spare wheel.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-07-25 8:25 AM............................and included a photo (copy attached below) of a spare-wheel attached to the rear wall of a Benimar Mileo 202 model with a spare-wheel storage locker. I don’t know what size wheel the Mileo 202 in the photo had (15”?) but It’s something you might consider if you really wanted to free up space in your 481’s locker..........................

My concern with this would be the construction of the rear wall. As Derek pointed out, a steel wheel and tyre is heavy (25 - 30kg) and the wheel is often mounted via its wheel bolts, meaning that, unless a fairly substantial load spreading plates are installed inside and outside the rear wall (more weight!), considerable stresses (taking account of the dynamics of such an arrangement) are liable to be applied. Unless the wall has been reinforced for such mountings during manufacture, damage seems at least possible.

Regarding the Mileo in the picture, it seems the mountings must be through the rear wall in the kitchen area, possibly making access for inspection and tightening them less than ideal.

An ex colleague used to refer to motorhome type structures as being "made of chicken poop and lard". They are designed to be as light as possible, being judged just functionally adequate but with little to spare.

On balance, I'm with the majority; keep the spare in the locker from which, if you do need it, it will at least emerge clean - rather than covered in road dwang! Remember, punctures always happen at night, on wet roads, miles from anywhere! :-D

I'd also suggest you have a close look at the jack supplied and, if in doubt as to its suitability for the axle loads on your van, consider upgrading it to a hydraulic bottle jack (Halfords or similar). Bit heavier, but easier to use and far more robust.

Brian Kirby - 2021-07-25 6:29 PM

As Derek pointed out, a steel wheel and tyre is heavy (25 - 30kg) and the wheel is often mounted via its wheel bolts, meaning that, unless a fairly substantial load spreading plates are installed inside and outside the rear wall (more weight!), considerable stresses (taking account of the dynamics of such an arrangement) are liable to be applied. .

I wonder what that weight increases to when you go over a pothole or speed hump

simian -l…….

Some tyre fitters are reluctant or even refuse to touch a wheel, fixed with a sealant goo application, I believe it

messes up their fingernails.

I used sealant goo on motorcycle tyres for many years and tyre changes and although tyre fitters don’t like repairs on goo-filled tyres I don’t remember it being a cause of complaint when it was time to fit new tyres. The goo seemed to be very effective in preventing rapid deflation after a puncture and you would mostly notice nothing until you spotted the nail or screw in the tread. A valuable safety addition to motorcycling.

But I’ve never goo in my MH tyres - but then my old bus carries a spare.

We have an underslung spare wheel at the back of the M/H. The fixing system leaves a little to be desired in that it comes loose and one one occasion the wheel was rubbing on the ground, but easily solved with a couple of steel cable ties. IF I ever get a puncture the AA man can sort out how to get it off, but at least I'll have one.

But should we carry one? A bit like a liferaft on a boat. Only ever needed if you need it. I wouldn't be without either and in fact when we bought an Aygo as a toad, I bought a spare wheel specifically for that reason.

To the OP, if you haven't got one get a underslung frame

Link to eBay

(Edited to shorten link to correct page width error)

Archived