B2B chargers

candapack

Do they automatically work in either direction, or are they set to work one way only?

I have a Schaudt booster fitted (something to do with having a smart alternator, don't ask me), it's function is to ensure the leisure battery remains charged while driving. However, despite the solar panel and EHU charger both only being connected to the leisure battery, the vehicle battery never seems to lose any charge regardless of how long it remains undriven.

candapack - 2021-08-07 9:35 AM

Do they automatically work in either direction, or are they set to work one way only?

One way only I believe. The whole point of a B2B in a vehicle with smart alternator is to efficiently charge the leisure battery and prevent it draining into the starter battery.

Simply the B2B takes current from the alternator via the starter battery, and converts it to an efficient volts and amps charge for the leisure battery.

I suspect your solar and EHU have a facility to charge the starter battery. What does your handbook say?

The Schaudt booster or B to B charger converts the engine battery power supplied by the alternator to a suitable voltage and current to charge the leisure battery. This model B to B is single direction system, it only transfers power one way.

To look after the engine battery when stationary and the leisure battery is being charged by solar of mains charger, the camper control electronics may have the capability to recognize that the leisure battery is approaching full charge and divert power to the engine battery.The Schaudt STDBUS, perhaps fitted to your van, has this capability.

I expect the control panel has the capability to monitor the voltage level of the starter battery so it should be possible to confirm this process is taking place.

Mike

PS sorry , 49 , was typing as you posted

My Votronic B2B sends a maximum 1 amp maintenance charge to the vehicle battery whenever the voltage at the leisure batteries exceeds 13.1 volts and irrespective of whether the engine is running or not. So when the van is parked, and voltage at the leisure batteries exceeds 13.1 volts due to output from the solar regulator, the vehicle battery charging branch is enabled.

Archived