Slow draining sink

kemerton

Like many others, we've suffered this syndrome for years. I have read a number of articles on the subject and before embarking on the possibly arduous task of re-routing pipes, I thought I would try one suggestion which was to use a plunger to help remove any debris lodged in the pipes. I pumped away at the kitchen sink plug hole and yes it was shifting quite a lot of muck. What I did not realise was that there was a separate pipe teed off from the trap under the sink which finished OPEN just under the worktop.

so every time I pumped down I was forcing water and gunge up this pipe and into the cupboard underneath. What an unholy mess.

Lesson learned - fully investigate your pipe layout BEFORE you start.

Nobody had mentioned this possibilty in the articles I'd read. I hope this may help others.

kemerton - 2021-08-17 12:27 PM

Like many others, we've suffered this syndrome for years. I have read a number of articles on the subject and before embarking on the possibly arduous task of re-routing pipes, I thought I would try one suggestion which was to use a plunger to help remove any debris lodged in the pipes. I pumped away at the kitchen sink plug hole and yes it was shifting quite a lot of muck. What I did not realise was that there was a separate pipe teed off from the trap under the sink which finished OPEN just under the worktop.

so every time I pumped down I was forcing water and gunge up this pipe and into the cupboard underneath. What an unholy mess.

Nobody had mentioned this possibilty in the articles I'd read. I hope this may help others.

Maybe that open pipe should have been connected to a drain on the Hob and just come adrift ? I have a hob drain in my van connected this way, we let very little water etc go down our plug holes in the van, we use a bowl in the sinks when washing up etc and dispose of the water in the hedge or a suitable place, thus keeping grease etc out of the waste pipes and waste tank ? In the Hedge , that is going to upset a few hee hee ?

vindiboy - 2021-08-17 1:25 PM

we let very little water etc go down our plug holes in the van, we use a bowl in the sinks when washing up etc and dispose of the water in the hedge or a suitable place

Likewise, after the drain tap got clogged up with greasy solids and waste water wasn't draining out of the tank properly. It's surprising how quickly it starts to pong as well. I ended up removing the drain tap, cleaning & re-fitting it, then running some diluted bleach down the sink and letting that slosh about.

I see plenty of people disposing of their grey water down the drain below the freshwater taps positioned around campsites but I'm never sure of the etiquette of doing this - can anyone advise?

We work hard to avoid grease and stuff going down the sink but you can't wash up and then end up with clean water in your washing up bowl. Chucking your grey water in the hedge or any where else except nominated grey water disposal points in my view is at best anti social, probably a bit lazy and gets motorhomers and campers in general a bad name

kemerton - 2021-08-17 4:02 PM

We work hard to avoid grease and stuff going down the sink but you can't wash up and then end up with clean water in your washing up bowl. Chucking your grey water in the hedge or any where else except nominated grey water disposal points in my view is at best anti social, probably a bit lazy and gets motorhomers and campers in general a bad name

Vindiboy is like myself, a regular user of THS rallies. The accepted method of grey water disposal is to chuck it in the hedge at the side of the field. I suppose one could look at it differently if one was more of a glamper than a camper.

Slow water drain is common on budget motorhomes, I had it on my first one but have never had the problem with German motorhomes.

_Chris - 2021-08-17 1:45 PM

I see plenty of people disposing of their grey water down the drain below the freshwater taps positioned around campsites but I'm never sure of the etiquette of doing this - can anyone advise?

On most campsites that drain is for grey water, normally a caravan would connect their grey water pipework into the drain, If it is a dedicated surface drain then it shouldn't be used for grey water. Just ask the wardens when checking in at which ever site you are pitching up to.

Wonder why that is standard practice on CCC rallies and the land owner tells ralliers that is what to do , as per information from Stewards ?

You might do well to check out the pipe runs before using a sink plunger. On my last trip out the sink spigot parted company from the bit that's attached to the sink which resulted in water running freely over the top of the oven. Fortunately, despite the soaking of carptes and water sloshing around in the lockers, I managed to find the problem before any serious damage occured.

Elddis's sink waste is positioned to sit half over and very close to the top of the oven with the waste pipe sitting right across it. To make matters worse there is very little ventilation to allow heat to disipate. Each to their own, but I use the oven on a regular basis. This appaling arrangement has caused the plastic weld in the sink wast fitting to fail. Someone here once said Elddis motorhomes are good value if you're into DIY and I would wholeheartedly agree with that, but having to make this repair in the middle of my holiday was one DIY job too far.

I have now rerouted the pipe away from the oven so it now runs over the fridge. (There's no choice it's one or the other), but I have put a plastic membrane to direct any further leaks away from the top. I know Elddis are a budget motorhomes, but I wonder if more upmarket brands are any better under the surface.

...What I did not realise was that there was a separate pipe teed off from the trap under the sink which finished OPEN just under the worktop...

Rapido has used this arrangement on some of their motorhome models (and may still do for all I know).

During the draining process the supplementary open-ended pipe allows air to enter the drain-hose/pipe leading from a sink/washbasin’s outlet and (assuming there’s a steady ‘fall’ from the outlet to the waste-water tank) should hugely improve the draining speed.

I’ve never been comfortable with the idea of ‘plunging’ motorhome/caravan sinks/washbasins. If one is very lucky the motorhome builder will have installed a draining system that’s as robust as a domestic one, but otherwise it’s an accident waiting to happen.

Post this issue at +++++++++++++++++++ website. You will receive advice from professional tradesmen.

Website address removed - this type of advertising is not permitted on these forums. (Derek Uzzell - Moderator)

Archived