Front tow Bar

Hans

Is this left hand threaded? I am stucked in th e MUD right now And have tractor in front of me right now. I can not find the hole behind the front bumber.The bar is 30cm Long. On ducato very simple. T6 forum sleeps.. Pull Me Out Please.

A bit late now, but there is a YouTube video about this and (as Conrad has advised) theT5/T6 towing eye is left-hand threaded.

Left-hand thread appears to be the norm for the reason Conrad has given. It’s mentioned in this 2011 discussion

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91459

but an alternative reason that’s quite commonly put forward is that it discourages people from using potentialy unsafe devices (eg. an ordinary bolt) to screw into the eye’s fitting if they have not got the correct eye.

(Simplest io assume that the eye will be left-hand threaded and not worry about why. If the eye won't screw in when turned anti-clockwise, turn it clockwise...)

A for-what-it's-worth follow-up...

I checked our Skoda car's tool-kit to confirm that a front towing eye was included (It was) and what the Skoda handbook said about fitting the eye. The insertion polnt in the car's front bumper is not immediately apparent as it's hidden by a plastic insert that must first be removed. The handbook's advice covers this, except the drawing of the insert is shown on the wrong side of the bumper. Otherwise the advice is OK and makes it clear that the eye must be screwed in anti-clockwise. In fact, as the eye has a coarse thread, it's obvious that the thread is 'left handed'.

I then checked my 2015 Ducato's tool-kit and the handbook's towing advice. The towing eye is visibly right-hand threaded - though this is less immediately obvious as the thread is finer. The handbook's advice was included in this earlier forum discussion

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/No-Towing-Eye/49743/

No mention is made about which way the eye should be screwed in, but I guess one might expect to screw clockwise unless told otherwise.

(If the VW T6 YouTube video I gave a link to earlier is correct, as it's far from obvious where the towing eye must go and a good chunk of plastic bumper must first be unclipped, I would have expected the VW handbook to go into detail on how to perform this operation.)

Thanks Conrad And Derek. Problem Solved. I have also one on the rear very strong whit two thick bolts and a eye. Right sided. And a tow bar ball in the middle. So lots of pull on the chassis. I told Monique how to handle in case stocked on the dog festival grounds. Just was the case.

Archived