Jump to content

Attestation d'accueil


Recommended Posts

So this is the latest I can find on the necessity to have an Attestation d'accueil https://www.remaininfrance.fr/post/update-on-the-attestation-d-accueil for UK travel to France.


Does anyone have a more up to date view on where UK tourist travellers to France stand on this requirement?


There's a debate in this household on whether it'll be required or not and the UK government website does not appear to make mention of it - partly I suspect because everything is covid centric at the moment.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

BruceM - 2021-08-22 3:01 PM


Does anyone have a more up to date view on where UK tourist travellers to France stand on this requirement?


I did read some where that you can get a French translation of your proof of vaccination certificate by requesting it from the same place the UK one comes from

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, but this is nothing to do with covid, it's to do with the requirement (or not) to complete an Attestation d'accueil form in order to enter France now that we are a Third Country. I like to think that in the same way that we do not have to apply for a visa, we do not have to complete this form. However everything I've read seems to indicate differenty. This link may enlighten as to what the form is https://www.leggettpm.com/en/attestation-daccueil-what-is-it-do-i-need-it-and-how-do-i-get-one/
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Randonneur - 2021-08-22 8:53 PM


This is what you need:




Just type that into your search browser and it will come up.


Downloaded mine and filled in.


The UK is currently an AMBER country as far as France is concerned and the COVID-19 entry requirements are given here




There are more than one French ’sworn undertaking’ documents online and an English-language .pdf version for amber countries can be found here (The green country version does not have the 2nd page.)




English-language ‘statements of honour’ for green, amber or red countries can also be downloaded as .docx files from here



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Advice about the 'sworn statement' is given on the links above. This reads as follows


"This statement must be presented to transportation companies, before boarding, by passengers travelling to mainland France. It must also be presented to border control authorities."


I understand (though I may have been misled) that - prior to leaving the UK - a member of the transportation company reads the form and stamps the traveller's left hand with an indelible tattoo. On arrival in France a member of the French border control stamps the traveller's right hand with a different indelible tattoo. On leaving France the traveller's hands are irradiated with Y-rays that wipe the tattoos.


(As far as I can make out, one just has to carry the completed sworn statement and present it to the transportation company/border control if asked.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites



I have now read the links and printed off the English form (I'm OK with the Y rays) but unsure what to put for final destination as with the just move around. Should I just put Worcester England for both initial place and final destination ?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

To clarify for anyone coming across this thread, my post was about Attestation d’Accueil ( https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2191 and https://www.remaininfrance.fr/post/update-on-the-attestation-d-accueil ) which is not a Covid thing and which in theory is required for all third country nationals entering France. It’s designed I think to ensure that anyone entering does not become a State burden. In theory it applies to UK nationals as the UK is a third country. However as no one has reported being asked for it I’ll assume that even if in theory it’s required it’s not being enforced.


This thread has however morphed into a discussion about Engagement sur l’Honneur which is a Covid thing and is required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The UK Gov site does not mention the Attestation d'Accueil, as you say.

Eurotunnel site does not mention it.

We went and came back in July and were never asked for it.


However theLocal.fr is my go to source for current information on this.


see here https://www.thelocal.fr/20210526/attestation-daccueil-what-to-do-if-you-cannot-get-the-certificate-for-a-visit-to-france/


I have pasted the article below, in case you have difficulty accessing it:




You may have read recently of the post-Brexit requirement to register with the mairie for a €30 certificate for British house guests - but there is another option for people for whom this is difficult to get.

As Brits adapt to life post-Brexit there are all sorts of extra restrictions and requirements for those who want to visit France. These are not new, they have always applied to non-EU citizens like Americans and Australians, but they are now applying to British visitors as well since the UK left the EU.


We have outlined HERE the main changes for travellers, but one that has been getting a lot of attention is the attestation d’accueil – which is the certificate that visitors may need if they are staying in private accommodation (ie with family or friends rather than in a hotel, gîte, Airbnb or B&B or at a second home).


We outline exactly what this is and how to get one HERE, but the basic principle is that if you are staying in a private home then your host needs to visit their local mairie in advance and pay €30 for the certificate, known as an attestation d’accueil.


However, there are plenty of people for whom this is not possible – for example second-home owners who are bringing guests with them or people lucky enough to have a friend who has lent them their second home for a short break. The certificate can only be obtained in person from the mairie, so if your host is not in France before your trip, the certificate is not possible to obtain.


If you are a second home owner and travelling to stay in your own property, you can show proof of property ownership such as property deeds or utility bills.


We posed these questions on behalf of readers of The Local to the French Interior Ministry.


Firstly the ministry confirmed that the attestation requirement definitely now applies to Brits as well as other third country nationals like Americans, Canadians and Australians, saying: “British tourists, who are now third-country nationals, are subject to compliance with the conditions for entry into the Schengen area under Article 6 of the CFS



“Since January 1st 2021, they must have proof of sufficient means of subsistence both for the duration of their intended stay and for their return to the UK.”


They went on to clarify the things that Brits may be asked to provide at the border.


“To enter France, British tourists must therefore present

– an attestation d’accueil issued by the town hall (if they are staying in private accommodation) or a hotel reservation (which can be replaced by a sum of €120 per person per day)

– proof of means of subsistence (€65 per day in the case of hotel accommodation or €32.50 in the case of an attestation d’accueil)

– a certificate of insurance for repatriation on medical grounds.”


You can find full details here.


The proof of means is a standard demand for all non-EU nationals entering France – basically you need to prove that you can support yourself while you are staying here and will not become a burden on the French state.


The standard rates are based on the French SMIC (minimum wage) and are presently €65 for every day of your stay if you are staying in a hotel or €32.50 if you are staying with friends or family.


However, if you cannot provide either an attestation d’accueil or proof of a booking at a hotel or similar (gîte, Airbnb, B&B) you have the option to provide proof of means at above the standard rate – namely €120 for every day of your stay in France.


The higher rate of financial proof will also be accepted for people who do not have accommodation booked for the duration of their stay – for example if you’re coming in a camper van or you’re just planning to see where you end up before booking accommodation.


If you have hotels or similar booked for part of your stay you will need to show proof of €65 a day for every day that you have a hotel booking and €120 a day for every day without a booking.


The EU states that proof of means that will be accepted are; cash, travellers cheques, bank statements for the last three months showing the balance of your account at the required level or credit cards (debit cards are not accepted).


The other uncertainty about this is exactly how strict border checks will be. As mentioned, this has always been the policy for other non-EU nationals like Americans and Canadians, yet few of them report having to show proof of accommodation or means at the border.


However, just because it is rare doesn’t mean that it will never happen and if you cannot provide the correct paperwork, border guards are within their rights to refuse you entry.





So a credit card, and a bank statement showing that you have €120 available to cover the duration of your stay will cover the financial issues. (or €65 a day if you have pre-booked accommodation for the duration) The only other major concern is ensuring that your Travel Insurance policy covers Repatriation.


Since most motorhomes will I assume have a credit card then that, in itself, would appear to be sufficient.



Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...