Tandem axle/ Tag axle

sjfoley

We are about to replace our motorhome with a more spacious one . The particular one we have in mind has a tag / Tandem axle. We are hearing different stories about tag axle vans, for example they are not welcome in some sites in France or Spain and that they are more expensive on toll roads. We would really appreciate any information on this

I have a tandem axle Hobby which we bought for the layout,space and load capacity ( extra red wine !!) You are correct the French toll roads up untill two years ago charged us group 2 but from last year we are group 3.

Worst case is the Frejus and Mont Blanc Tunnels who I note want 120 euros for group 3 and 40 euros for group 2. We are going through Switzerland instead !! We tend to use the N roads anyway as you see far more.

French camp sites especially municipals don't like tandem axle caravans as all the gypsys tow them behind their white vans complete with satellite dish, but I have only had one query from a student left in charge by the mairie but we convinced him we had no clothes pegs or lucky heather and could not tell his fortune !!

Ian

As a preferance a set of twin rears with rear wheel drive is a better engineering solution and you end up with 4 out of 6 tyres driving. The add-on extra rear axle only gives you more weight capability on the 4 tyres which are NOT driven. Drive on only the front two being the norm.

But its your money! When you get stuck on a wet grass field (show site perhaps) just think on these words!!

Also ask yourself how much will the rear wheels scuf when I go round a hair-pin bend?

Food for thought.

C.

Archived