DC tyre inflator issues. Advice please.

Albertslad

Thanks - I overlooked that.

The Oxford-branded extender tool is widely available , with this ebay (£8.99) entry currently being the cheapest.

https://tinyurl.com/2jmmvf3u

There are much cheaper versions. The example here

https://tinyurl.com/2v52bvxy

might be more robust, but I'm not 100% certain that it would attach properly to a tyre-pump's screw-on connector (and it has to come from China).

simian - 2022-02-18 2:58 PM

I've managed to inflate m/home tyres to 5 Bars plus, sometimes from flat with quite small 12v inflators by limiting

the process to short stages, letting the pump and power cable cool off. Admittedly you've got to have patience, but

when needs dictate....

Holding the cable gives a good indication of heat build up. Having some spare fuses handy may be necessary,!

I would have real concerns not so much with the product's wiring but the vehicle's, where in my experience makers are far from generous on core sizes in the first place, then these are buried within cable harnesses so inhibited in dissipating heat anything like in the open air as the products wire.

Having some spare fuses, the very need ought to be in itself a guide something is wrong, the more so these are rated at peak current level protection, not continuously rated values.

Importantly I did write 'When needs dictate.'

But in any case, a vehicles wiring should be protected by appropriately rated fuses. The vehicle manufacturer uses the fuse rating to suit the cable sizing, to do otherwise would be irresponsibly foolish.

My ring tyre inflator is supplied with a fused plug and is just at the maximum rating for usage in a car standard fag lighter socket, as advised by ring. Even so it occasionally blows the fuse, because the pump overloads. It's at those time I'm glad I had the correct fuse installed and the correct replacement, so no real problem just inconvenience.

Assuming that Paul still owns a Benimar Tesseo 490, I believe that motorhome model is based on a Ford Transit Mk 7, that its dashboard 12V outlets will therefore be 20A-fused and that the tyre pressures will probably be no higher than 65psi.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/benimar-tesseo-490-2008-motorhome-review/898574

If the tyre-pump is to be used with the Benimar, it's perhaps worth mentioning that the majority of pumps marketed to inflate 'car' tyres via the vehicle's interior 12V outlets will have a power-cable that should be long enough for the pump's air-hose to connect to a motorhome's front-wheel tyre valves, but may well be too short for the rear-wheel tyre valves to be reached.

If the power cable is too short, a 12v plug and socket extension could be used. Admittedly

the items sold on eBay appear to be 10A or 15A rated.

I fitted a conveniently positioned 12v socket on my van wired directly to the leisure batts.

Useful for more than just tyre inflation.

Archived