Greater Manchester clean air charge

Bazzerk

laimeduck - 2021-10-06 8:12 AM

Oscid, sorry, I thought I'd made it quite clear by qualifying:- "ie (that is) those vehicles that don't meet Euro 6"

Still I guess it's clear now.

Jeremy

Apologies accepted, I was only clarifying what I thought would be of concern here, as many MHs will still have diesels not meeting Euro 6, but be free to come without the fine as they fall into the private car and van concession. John

• 4 months later...

The start of the Clean Air Zone for the Greater Manchester area has now been delayed.

See: https://cleanairgm.com/news/greater-manchester-clean-air-zone-joint-statement-with-government/

for the up-to-date info. You can still write or speak to the organizers to express your views / concerns at:

General enquiries:

info@cleanairgm.com

0161 244 1333

Another gem from the Clean Air for Manchester people ...................

"We will deliver improved air quality as soon as possible, not losing ambition but ensuring we take into account the pandemic, global supply chain challenges, improvements already baked into retrofits and the scope as previously laid out"

I am a little unsure what this masterpiece of the English language is actually saying; what does, "improvements already baked into retrofits" actually mean?

https://cleanairgm.com/news/greater-manchester-clean-air-zone-joint-statement-with-government/

• 2 weeks later...

Good news but possibly only delayed...

Following finding out about the intended charge and its implementation this year from this forum I flagged this up through the "Camping and Caravanning Club" North West Region to help leverage support against the charges for motorhomes.

I was unsurprised at the time (October) to find that none of the members I spoke to (motorhoming friends, several living in Greater Manchester) were aware of the possible impact.

Since then representations were made by the Club HQ to appeal for exemptions for motorhomes and I've encouraged motorhome owners (and anyone else) to contact GM Authorities particularly if they are residents - but also if they camp or rally in GM or potentially access sites via the zone.

I'm also encouraging more publicity to encourage lobbying in the consultation. There has also been articles on Club Facebook pages and in the Club magazine to highlight the potential cost to members.

The feedback to the club included

"Greater Manchester will now work with Government to deliver, by July 2022, a new Clean Air Plan for Greater Manchester that tackles the serious public health issue of poor air quality, but which protects jobs and businesses across the city-region. The review will include the Clean Air Zone, the vehicles in scope for changes and other factors. Therefore, at this time it is unknown whether vehicles classified as a Light Goods Vehicles (LGVs) or Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs) but not used for commercial purposes, such as motorhomes and horseboxes would be in scope for a charge within the future GM Clean Air Plan. "

So for what it is worth there has been an attempt to raise the profile. I'm particularly keen to get local campsites and maybe dealers to lobby in the consultation as well.

Sadly previous experience of road charging in the region has not been motorhome friendly - the free Runcorn -Widnes road bridge was replaced with a Toll bridge with a HGV Motorhome fee of £6 each way for a < 2 mile stretch!

Initial concessions lasted less than a year before it was too hard to administer and we went up to full price!

Don't sleepwalk into this imposition, make a noise:

info@cleanairgm.com

We are not big users (polluters), so why should we be charged to enter and leave? We are not taxis, running round all day and adding to road congestion, all we want to do is access a stopping place and leave again. Or in my case, all I want to do is leave (to go on holiday) and I am to be charged in order to do this. In effect I am to be charged to take my polluting vehicle out of the clean air zone!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just received today,

Looks like we are to have a "no charging" Clean Air Zone.

Greater Manchester due to submit case for new investment-led Clean Air Plan to government today

The case for a new investment-led, non-charging Greater Manchester Clean Air Plan is due to be submitted to government today (Friday 1 July), following consideration by the Greater Manchester Air Quality Administration Committee.

The draft Case for a New Greater Manchester Clean Air Plan sets out the evidence supporting an investment-led Clean Air Plan with no charging Clean Air Zone as the best solution to address the roadside nitrogen dioxide air pollution problem.

Unlike the previous charging Clean Air Zone scheme defined by government guidance, the new Clean Air Plan considers the current cost-of-living crisis by avoiding the use of charging and takes account of the impacts of the pandemic and the wider global economic instability on supply chains.

Tackling the health effects of poor air quality remains a key priority for the city-region but the previous Clean Air Plan became unworkable due to the changes in the global vehicle supply chain linked to the pandemic and the economic pressures many people are facing.

The Air Quality Administration Committee agreed that the next stage of the new Greater Manchester Clean Air Plan will be developed through intensive engagement with business and the community

Archived