How Johnson will ensure the poor will feed the rich

Bulletguy

colin - 2021-11-23 10:48 PM

pelmetman - 2021-11-23 6:51 PM

colin - 2021-11-22 10:35 AM

Birdbrain - 2021-11-21 6:22 PM

I hope those poor northerners dont live in a Labour run area n'all given they are likely to pay much more in council tax rises ... https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1415803/labour-council-tax-hikes-bigger-than-tories ... Just look at Sadicks London

As per usual a load of lies, I live in a Tory stronghold, council tax increased by nearly 5% over 50% higher than the Express says, and a band D property is around £2000, over 30% higher than the Express says.

So you prolly also live in a house worth more than the national average? ;-) ........

Which means you will benefit from Boris's changes to the care system :-| .........

So would you prefer the system remains unchanged? >:-) ........

From experience of paying care costs I would say it's unlikely to make any differance to our family, but you never know maybe we both might end up in care homes for several years, in which case we could still fund that and leave the girls with more than enough.

My gut feeling is a lot of people are going to find the realities of this very disappointing.

Sorry realised I haven't posted my thoughts on the bill, just how it affects us, or not as is most likely the case.

I think it's another leftie policy, you should be paying your own care costs, not relying on the state.

CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-24 12:33 PM

"The Conservative social care con is a dementia tax on the North and on the poorest pensioners." PMQs today

I don't think so, the 'poorest pensioners' won't pay a penny same as now, but people such as me will be paying more tax for just a few people to benefit.

It's a Tory tax scam.

colin - 2021-11-24 1:59 PM

"The Conservative social care con is a dementia tax on the North and on the poorest pensioners." PMQs today

I don't think so, the 'poorest pensioners' won't pay a penny same as now, but people such as me will be paying more tax for just a few people to benefit.

It's a Tory tax scam.

I know. And much as I'm appalled by the unfairness of what is proposed, I'm taking some comfort from the fact that mugs like Dave and the red wall voters will be disproportionately subsidising my care if I need it.

It's a Tory tax scam.

They will need 70% of their assets so will likely lose their home Colin whilst better off pensioners with a more valuable property only need 17% to cover care costs so how do you square that?

Johnson has broken yet another of his manifesto promises that people would not lose their home, hence the reason Tory MP's, particularly in the North and North East are absolutely livid.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/24/conservative-manifesto-the-key-points-policies-boris-johnson

Bulletguy - 2021-11-24 4:01 PM

It's a Tory tax scam.

They will need 70% of their assets so will likely lose their home Colin whilst better off pensioners with a more valuable property only need 17% to cover care costs so how do you square that?

Johnson has broken yet another of his manifesto promises that people would not lose their home, hence the reason Tory MP's, particularly in the North and North East are absolutely livid.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/24/conservative-manifesto-the-key-points-policies-boris-johnson

If you don't own your home you can't sell it, just like my uncle you can ensure you have very little money in the bank and all your care costs are paid, or maybe like my mother you stay in your own home, then if you have little other tangible assets the state pays. The true 'poorest pensioners' don't pay a penny, it's those who have a few bob that get stung.

colin - 2021-11-24 4:09 PM

It's a Tory tax scam.

If you don't own your home you can't sell it, just like my uncle you can ensure you have very little money in the bank and all your care costs are paid, or maybe like my mother you stay in your own home, then if you have little other tangible assets the state pays. The true 'poorest pensioners' don't pay a penny, it's those who have a few bob that get stung.

But I would imagine a lot of not very well off shall we call them pensioners DO own their own home but its not worth much. Its a lottery of where that home is. You could have some poor old bugger who has worked minimum wage all his or her life and managed over the decades to pay off a mortgage on a two up two down terraced house. If its in Hartlepool it might be worth £40-£80k, if its in Surrey probably five to ten times that. Do you see the problem now? That generation got on the property ladder because it was easier to do so than it is now.

The fact still remains that many on low wages don't own a home, like my uncle they live in a 'council house', the state pays all of his (an my late aunts) care costs, others like my mother might stay in their own homes and have carers visit, and if they have less than £11,000? (not sure on latest figures) they also don't have to pay, of cause this then means their offspring might have to help do some of the caring like shopping etc,

It's a Tory tax scam.

Well yes obviously rented isn't an asset. I meant private property of which there is a high percentage in this country. Don't forget a lot of social housing got sold off during the Thatcher years.

Barryd999 - 2021-11-24 4:23 PM

It's a Tory tax scam.

But I would imagine a lot of not very well off shall we call them pensioners DO own their own home but its not worth much. Its a lottery of where that home is. You could have some poor old bugger who has worked minimum wage all his or her life and managed over the decades to pay off a mortgage on a two up two down terraced house. If its in Hartlepool it might be worth £40-£80k, if its in Surrey probably five to ten times that. Do you see the problem now? That generation got on the property ladder because it was easier to do so than it is now.

Look at this 3 bed semi I found last night in Hartlepool for just £80k 8-)

It looks pretty decent and certainly ready to move into.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/110681693#/?channel=RES_BUY

Bulletguy - 2021-11-24 4:35 PM

It's a Tory tax scam.

And less than 5 miles away there's this one, bit pokey for me but at least you get to walk away with £1,644,000 after you've paid for your lifetime care. So not so much a North vs South just good old Tory "let the poor pay for the rich"

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/115052234

CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-24 5:32 PM

It's a Tory tax scam.

And less than 5 miles away there's this one, bit pokey for me but at least you get to walk away with £1,644,000 after you've paid for your lifetime care. So not so much a North vs South just good old Tory "let the poor pay for the rich"

Thats what I mean. The couple who've slaved away at jobs on poor income, struggled to manage a mortgage to buy a little house, end up getting shafted so the couple down the road in their £1m spread can hang on to theirs. It just doesn't sit right with me at all.

Bulletguy - 2021-11-24 6:29 PM

Thats what I mean. The couple who've slaved away at jobs on poor income, struggled to manage a mortgage to buy a little house, end up getting shafted so the couple down the road in their £1m spread can hang on to theirs. It just doesn't sit right with me at all.

So can we scrap the cap and people pay their way?

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-11-24 5:32 PM

It's a Tory tax scam.

It would prolly be worth a lot more if it didn't have you as a near neighbour :D .........

colin - 2021-11-24 6:35 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-11-24 6:29 PM

So can we scrap the cap and people pay their way?

Or we can say people pay a percentage of their assets. That would be the fairest way.

Archived