Hands up......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

How many of the 27,000+ members of OAL used to go abroad for more than 90 days before Brexit.......apart from me? :D ........

Just askin ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2021-12-22 6:34 PM

How many of the 27,000+ members of OAL used to go abroad for more than 90 days before Brexit.......apart from me? :D ........

Just askin ;-) .........

we've been going to Spain for 25-26 years for 6 months at a time , my next door neighbour is the chief of police and knows the law about staying more than 90 days but no problem with them

Guest pelmetman
teccer1234 - 2021-12-22 6:52 PM

Just askin ;-) .........

we've been going to Spain for 25-26 years for 6 months at a time , my next door neighbour is the chief of police and knows the law about staying more than 90 days but no problem with them

That's interesting ;-) .........

So have you been back?......since we left officially at midnight December 2020 :D ..........

For I'm expecting to be dragged by the scruff of my neck from Spain should I dare to out stay my 90 days 8-) ........

Not that we'll being going back until the pandemic is well and truly over :-| ........

Before getting stuck on the NHS waiting list for a operation, we were travelling to and from mainland europe without having to worry about the 90/180 limit, first trip we hope to do next year will be hard pressed to keep within 90/180, and then we will be compromised on getting in a second trip before heading off to Australia(if they open up).

teccer1234 - 2021-12-22 10:15 PM

pelmetman - 2021-12-22 7:06 PM

teccer1234 - 2021-12-22 6:52 PM

Just askin ;-) .........

That's interesting ;-) .........

So have you been back?......since we left officially at midnight December 2020 :D ..........

For I'm expecting to be dragged by the scruff of my neck from Spain should I dare to out stay my 90 days 8-) ........

Not that we'll being going back until the pandemic is well and truly over :-| ........

not been back since May 2019.

just read that brits will have to pay £7 for visa waiver to enter the eu from January but not a mention of the fact that over 70s get it free

Guest pelmetman
teccer1234 - 2021-12-22 10:23 PM

not been back since May 2019.

just read that brits will have to pay £7 for visa waiver to enter the eu from January but not a mention of the fact that over 70s get it free

So much like us ;-) ...........

It'll be interesting to see how the Spanish enforce EU rules.......after all they don't have a very good history of enforcing their own or EU rules :D .......

This article relates to France and includes a "What are the penalties for overstaying?" section.

https://www.frenchentree.com/brexit/eu-90-180-day-rule-heres-how-it-works/

Valencia has been seeking relaxation of the Schengen 90-day rule

https://www.thelocal.es/20211103/brexit-valencia-region-pushes-to-give-brits-more-than-90-days-in-spain/

and Brittany is looking for a similar amendment

(Of the 277714 registered users of the Out&AboutLive forums I'd be surprised if more than 100 users are currently active (ie. have logged on within the last 90 days). I don't know if usage data are available for the O&AL forums, but if they are I suspect they'd make interesting reading.)

pelmetman - 2021-12-22 10:33 PM

It'll be interesting to see how the Spanish enforce EU rules.......after all they don't have a very good history of enforcing their own or EU rules :D .......

With the onset of digitalised border controls ETIAS etc. I fear the exercising of common sense will be a thing of the past.

If the computer shows you've gone one minute over the 90 days then that's it. €135 and 1year non return for up to 1day transgression rising to the firing squad for the 10 year overstaying Brit expats, sorry I mean illegal migrants.

Having said that, so far in the covid era I've not been accosted by any member of French or Spanish law

enforcers on my travels, whereas previously and perhaps ironically I might well have expected a chat from say the douane on whether I was carrying excess fags.

thebishbus - 2021-12-23 8:37 AM

Derek. I think it depends on what you class as active members. I for one only log on if I have something to say or ask, but I look at the forums two or three times a day just out of interest.

Brian B.

During the last 90 Days you've posted on several threads on the Motorhome Matters and Chatterbox forums and (obviously) to post you've. needed to logon. So you definitely meet my criteria for 'active members'.

I still think 100 is a realistic maximum, but that's just gut feeling.

How many of the 27,000+ members of OAL used to go abroad for more than 90 days before Brexit.......apart from me? :D .................

Assuming you are referring to the Schengen 90 days in 180 days rule, we have. However, this is theoretical, as the Schengen 90/180 days limit was not relevant to the following trips as at the time we were still in the EEC/EU.

We have done two trips in most years since 2005 (our first trip with a 'van was in 2005, for 70 days, in autumn).

Since 2005 we have spent more than 90 days in a year in the Schengen area that would have infringed the 90/180 days limit: in 2006 (130 days), 2008 (129 days), 2009 (140 days), 2012 (106 days), 2014 (121 days), and 2016 (112 days).

In each of 2007, 2010 and 2013, we made only one trip, none of which exceeded 90 days.

We made two trips in each of 2011, 2015, 2017 and 2019 which, for various reasons, were shorter and would not have infringed the 90/180 days limit in total.

Due to Covid we did not enter Schengen in either of 2020 or 2021.

pelmetman - 2021-12-22 8:06 PM

Curious that someone like you who hates all of Europe is so worried about not being able to stay there for more than 90 days.

Stop chasing your dream of Mediterranean sunlight and get used to the idea of staying at least half the year on your rainy and foggy island.

No European will regret your absence.

As for the pandemic, perhaps it will end when you stop carrying various variants around.

Yes I regularly spent long summer trips in Europe before Brexit. Usually four to six months. Now very sadly a thing of the past.

However as Dave says, those Spanish lot probably wont care and it should be easy to overstay. They will turn a blind eye I am sure. I suggest you head off there immediately Dave for five or six months. It will be fine I am sure. B-)

Judging by the number of Dutch, German, French, motorhomers around me, I would say any void occasioned by the absence of Brit motorhomers has been well and truly filled, Spain worried about the absence of Brit winter motorhomers ......nah definitely not. Now as for absent Brit apartment and hotel dwellers that might be not be the case.

I don't think anyone will begrudge the €7 every three years. The only discernible effect is a criminal check and a record of previous breeches of immigration law (which will, defacto lead to a visa bar from USA,AUS and NZ) including those overstaying in Spain!

And no, i never did get to spend more than 90 days abroad, work got in the way, early retirement September 2019 with lots of plans - timing is everything!

derek500 - 2021-12-24 3:42 PM

All the websites I've looked at say from end of 2022 or 2023.

It's free for under 18's and over 70s.

The EC has also stated it will offer free travel for UK travellers who go to EU countries for short stays, as long as the UK agrees to do the same for EU nationals. If the UK accepts this offer, it will still be necessary to complete the ETIAS application though there would not be a fee.

The EC has said the EU’s offer was “entirely conditional upon the UK also granting reciprocal and non-discriminatory visa-free travel for all EU member states.”

https://www.etias.info/british-pay-fee-visit-europe-after-brexit/

Sorry to hear you're yet another casualty of Brexit, pelmetman. If only we'd known about this before the referendum.

Just askin ;-) .........

That was our dream Dave but it was kiboshed by Brexiteers just as we began our ownership of an MH.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2021-12-27 1:44 PM

Just askin ;-) .........

That was our dream Dave but it was kiboshed by Brexiteers just as we began our ownership of an MH.

So thinking of yourselves rather than the folk who live in the UK? :-| ........

I'm suprised at you 8-) ........

P1010899.JPG.d4f5fd96cc34df10713360002953cc4b.JPG

Archived