CurtainTWITcher wins Cheap Chimp of the year award.......

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2022-01-09 5:58 PM

colin - 2022-01-09 5:36 PM

pelmetman - 2022-01-09 5:01 PM

colin - 2022-01-09 4:49 PM

pelmetman - 2022-01-09 10:15 AM

BUT AS THE FACTS SHOW.....the majority of those "Actually" dying from COVID now are unvaccinated :-| .......

Are you sure?

A UKHSA report showed that in England 27% of those admitted to hospital with Omicron variant hadn't been vaccinated.

So how many of them ended up in intensive care?.......and dying? :-| .........

Well I had hoped you might tell us Dave, as you posted "THE FACTS SHOW", because AFIAK the 'FACTS' about Omicron haven't yet been published, we do know the facts about Delta variant, and due to the way it is much worse in elder people (the highest vaccinated) compared to younger people (the least vaccinated) around 2/3rds of those dying where fully vaccinated. It may well be the booster program will change that, but I won't be placing any bets.

In the media we oftensee stories of "anti vaxer dies", I've yet to see a story of "fully vaxed dies", but the reality for the last 6(? ) months this has been the case.

BTW I'm not a anti vaxer, I'm fully jabbed.

The Facts are there for you to find ;-) .......

Age-standardised mortality rate per 100,000 person-years

(95% confidence interval)

Vaccination status Deaths involving COVID-19 All deaths

Unvaccinated 849.7 (840.3, 859.2) 2,187.1 (2,172.2, 2,202.0)

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingcovid19byvaccinationstatusengland/deathsoccurringbetween2januaryand24september2021

that's not the numbers, that's been 'fiddled' with, and if you where to use the actual numbers you will find they come back to what I said.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2022-01-09 5:57 PM

Gremlin - 2022-01-09 4:57 PM

Barryd999 - 2022-01-09 3:09 PM

Gremlin - 2022-01-09 2:49 PM

Barryd999 - 2022-01-09 2:22 PM

Gremlin - 2022-01-09 1:02 PM

The 150,000 milestone is very sad. But given our population density and ignorance of what we were dealing with such an “milestone” is inevitable.

We are all on a journey - and yes, when you don’t know what you are dealing with then wrong decisions will be made whoever is in charge. Governments of all colours make lousy decisions. Look at the furore over Blair’s “gong” and the resulting fallout.

But blaming all and sundry simply because an obvious milestone happens is like car passengers on a long journey going nuts when the trip meter hits 150 miles.

But we did know what we were dealing with. We saw it coming, Italy and the world health organisation were screaming at Boris Johnson to do something but he just muttered stuff about taking it on the chin and bragged about shaking hands in hospitals full of Covid victims. Not only that but as I keep pointing out we are an island nation! We had every opportunity to prevent this unforgivable loss of life but we lost it because of the abject failure of one man and his cronies. As if that wasnt bad enough, time and time again dither, delay and denial cost tens of thousands of lives.

We are on a journey? Others would have made wrong decisions whoever was in charge? OMG What utter tosh. I Cant think of a single politician living or dead that could have done a worse job than Johnson. Can you imagine where we would be now if the vaccine producers and the NHS (that the Tories have tried to run into the ground) had not come to the rescue?

What I simply cant get my head around is how people (and thankfully they are few and far between now) can still defend them.

Your population density guff is just that, for the birds.

But - and I am no fan of BJ - Boris did write, effectively, an open cheque to Universities and Pharmaceutical companies which as a strategy worked far better than the EU strategy of stringing out negotiations trying to get the price down.

In contrast, what we did in the U.K. was to secure advance purchase from Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZenica and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson). The AstraZenica contract was notable because all parties agreed that the vaccine would be supplied at cost.

As for your suggestion we knew what it was - is just nonsense. This virus was/is a new entity. If it wasn’t we would already have had effective vaccines sitting on the shelf.

Yes mistakes were made. But are you suggesting that as other countries such as Poland or Belgium who have higher death rates per million of population had worse governments than ours?

Actually I seem to remember the US put way more money into AZ than we did. We got lucky with the contracts also. Despite what you say the EU actually signed theirs with AZ the day before we did but the reason we got ours first was down in the end to the difference between Belgian and UK contract law. We either got lucky or someone in the civil service knew their onions.

What I was inferring about us "knowing" about the virus is we saw what was happening across the globe and particularly in Europe but did nothing. We didn't have vaccines of course and back then we thought they could potentially be years away which actually makes the fact that Johnson did nothing even worse.

No I am not suggesting Poland or Belgium had worse governments than ours, I don't believe that's possible. What I am saying is we are an island nation and we had a crucial advantage in that and the fact that we were behind the rest of Europe and saw what was happening yet Johnson threw that away. Remember for more than one occasion because of that we had the worst death rate in the world. Yes others have caught up but that does not excuse what happened here. Just look at the stats for other similar Island nations.

Deaths per million

UK 2184 (170000+ deaths in total)

Indonesia 531

Philippines 465

Japan 145

Iceland 110 (only 36 deaths in total)

Australia 83

Madagascar 36

New Zealand 9 (only 51 deaths in total)

So you compare the U.K. which by most measurements has the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world to those you list?

I mean no disrespect to those island nations listed - I love at least three of them as a frequent visitor. But they don’t have the population density or the likes of Heathrow, Gatwick and all the other ports and transport hubs so vital for maintaining our U.K. Trade.

Simply shutting all that down without a REALLY good reason would have had a devastating effect on the U.K. economy. So assurances were sought and delays happened.

The Island Nations you cite can and did Lockdown their economies because it was easy for them to do so.

They are lovely places - but hardly comparable economically to the U.K.

Yeah Im not really buying that. Japan, Indonesia, Australia are all in the worlds top 20 economies and Japan is the third biggest. All of them rely on ports and airports for trade. Nobody was talking about shutting down trade traffic but Johnson time and time again just let people flood in. He refused to put India on the red list when their Delta variant was discovered to be rife because he was concerned about losing a blooming Brexit trade deal!! On and on it went. A friend of mine recently flew back in from visiting several countries around the globe just after Christmas and he said the checks everywhere he went were amazingly thorough until he got back to the UK where he reckoned they were pretty none existent.

So I stand by what I said. We like other island nations had an advantage and it was yet another one we threw away and that is one reason why 150000 people are now dead including one of my closest friends.

Do I need to remind you of the excess deaths in Indonesia and Japan again? *-) ........

Best try and find another Boris bashing drum Barry ;-) ........

Coz all the signs are that the worst of Chinky Flu is over B-) ........

So now you LOSERS will soon have to find something else to blame Boris for :D .......

Keep on Hating & Hoping LOSER *-) ........

Or alternatively you could try to get a life :-> .........

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2022-01-09 6:02 PM

BUT AS THE FACTS SHOW.....the majority of those "Actually" dying from COVID now are unvaccinated :-| .......

Are you sure?

A UKHSA report showed that in England 27% of those admitted to hospital with Omicron variant hadn't been vaccinated.

Well I had hoped you might tell us Dave, as you posted "THE FACTS SHOW", because AFIAK the 'FACTS' about Omicron haven't yet been published, we do know the facts about Delta variant, and due to the way it is much worse in elder people (the highest vaccinated) compared to younger people (the least vaccinated) around 2/3rds of those dying where fully vaccinated. It may well be the booster program will change that, but I won't be placing any bets.

In the media we oftensee stories of "anti vaxer dies", I've yet to see a story of "fully vaxed dies", but the reality for the last 6(? ) months this has been the case.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingcovid19byvaccinationstatusengland/deathsoccurringbetween2januaryand24september2021

that's not the numbers, that's been 'fiddled' with, and if you where to use the actual numbers you will find they come back to what I said.

But you like the rest of our resident LOSERS are trying to pervert those numbers *-) .........

BTW would you mind reducing the link like I did ;-) ........

pelmetman - 2022-01-09 6:13 PM

Are you sure?

But you like the rest of our resident LOSERS are trying to pervert those numbers *-) .........

I can now see that you have posted some figures that you don't understand, they are 'age standardised', this means they are not the actual figures but 'fiddled' with. the actual figures are as I stated.

So your first post was not correct, and your attempt to prove it to be correct has not worked, so I'll give you another chance, post up the actual figures on how many vaxed/unvaxed are dying right now, or if you like since the vaccine was widely available.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2022-01-09 6:28 PM

pelmetman - 2022-01-09 6:13 PM

Are you sure?

I can now see that you have posted some figures that you don't understand, they are 'age standardised', this means they are not the actual figures but 'fiddled' with. the actual figures are as I stated.

So your first post was not correct, and your attempt to prove it to be correct has not worked, so I'll give you another chance, post up the actual figures on how many vaxed/unvaxed are dying right now, or if you like since the vaccine was widely available.

Perhaps you would like to post up the actual figures of those who have "Actually" died from COVID?........Rather than fiddle the figures of those who died with COVID?.......

BTW you still haven't reduced the link ;-) ...........

Just to add.......

"In England, between 2 January and 2 July 2021, there were 51,281 deaths involving coronavirus (COVID-19); 640 occurred in people who were fully vaccinated, which includes people who had been infected before they were vaccinated."

From the same link........

pelmetman - 2022-01-09 6:09 PM

The 150,000 milestone is very sad. But given our population density and ignorance of what we were dealing with such an “milestone” is inevitable.

We are all on a journey - and yes, when you don’t know what you are dealing with then wrong decisions will be made whoever is in charge. Governments of all colours make lousy decisions. Look at the furore over Blair’s “gong” and the resulting fallout.

But blaming all and sundry simply because an obvious milestone happens is like car passengers on a long journey going nuts when the trip meter hits 150 miles.

But we did know what we were dealing with. We saw it coming, Italy and the world health organisation were screaming at Boris Johnson to do something but he just muttered stuff about taking it on the chin and bragged about shaking hands in hospitals full of Covid victims. Not only that but as I keep pointing out we are an island nation! We had every opportunity to prevent this unforgivable loss of life but we lost it because of the abject failure of one man and his cronies. As if that wasnt bad enough, time and time again dither, delay and denial cost tens of thousands of lives.

We are on a journey? Others would have made wrong decisions whoever was in charge? OMG What utter tosh. I Cant think of a single politician living or dead that could have done a worse job than Johnson. Can you imagine where we would be now if the vaccine producers and the NHS (that the Tories have tried to run into the ground) had not come to the rescue?

What I simply cant get my head around is how people (and thankfully they are few and far between now) can still defend them.

But - and I am no fan of BJ - Boris did write, effectively, an open cheque to Universities and Pharmaceutical companies which as a strategy worked far better than the EU strategy of stringing out negotiations trying to get the price down.

In contrast, what we did in the U.K. was to secure advance purchase from Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZenica and Janssen (Johnson & Johnson). The AstraZenica contract was notable because all parties agreed that the vaccine would be supplied at cost.

As for your suggestion we knew what it was - is just nonsense. This virus was/is a new entity. If it wasn’t we would already have had effective vaccines sitting on the shelf.

Yes mistakes were made. But are you suggesting that as other countries such as Poland or Belgium who have higher death rates per million of population had worse governments than ours?

Actually I seem to remember the US put way more money into AZ than we did. We got lucky with the contracts also. Despite what you say the EU actually signed theirs with AZ the day before we did but the reason we got ours first was down in the end to the difference between Belgian and UK contract law. We either got lucky or someone in the civil service knew their onions.

What I was inferring about us "knowing" about the virus is we saw what was happening across the globe and particularly in Europe but did nothing. We didn't have vaccines of course and back then we thought they could potentially be years away which actually makes the fact that Johnson did nothing even worse.

No I am not suggesting Poland or Belgium had worse governments than ours, I don't believe that's possible. What I am saying is we are an island nation and we had a crucial advantage in that and the fact that we were behind the rest of Europe and saw what was happening yet Johnson threw that away. Remember for more than one occasion because of that we had the worst death rate in the world. Yes others have caught up but that does not excuse what happened here. Just look at the stats for other similar Island nations.

Deaths per million

Indonesia 531

Philippines 465

Japan 145

Australia 83

Madagascar 36

So you compare the U.K. which by most measurements has the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world to those you list?

I mean no disrespect to those island nations listed - I love at least three of them as a frequent visitor. But they don’t have the population density or the likes of Heathrow, Gatwick and all the other ports and transport hubs so vital for maintaining our U.K. Trade.

Simply shutting all that down without a REALLY good reason would have had a devastating effect on the U.K. economy. So assurances were sought and delays happened.

The Island Nations you cite can and did Lockdown their economies because it was easy for them to do so.

Yeah Im not really buying that. Japan, Indonesia, Australia are all in the worlds top 20 economies and Japan is the third biggest. All of them rely on ports and airports for trade. Nobody was talking about shutting down trade traffic but Johnson time and time again just let people flood in. He refused to put India on the red list when their Delta variant was discovered to be rife because he was concerned about losing a blooming Brexit trade deal!! On and on it went. A friend of mine recently flew back in from visiting several countries around the globe just after Christmas and he said the checks everywhere he went were amazingly thorough until he got back to the UK where he reckoned they were pretty none existent.

So I stand by what I said. We like other island nations had an advantage and it was yet another one we threw away and that is one reason why 150000 people are now dead including one of my closest friends.

Do I need to remind you of the excess deaths in Indonesia and Japan again? *-) ........

So now you LOSERS will soon have to find something else to blame Boris for :D .......

Yes please do remind me. Face it Dave, there is no way you can squirm your way out of this one.

Using racist terms is also against the forum rules by the way but I hope you are right but even if you are how does that detract from holding Johnson and his cronies to account for the appalling way he handled the pandemic and FFS!, learn how to use Tinyurl will you and fix that link that's screwed up the entire thread.

Get a life? (lol) What like you who seem to have spent most of yours on here which wouldn't be so bad if you had actually said anything in that entire time that wasn't complete guff.

pelmetman - 2022-01-09 6:36 PM

Perhaps you would like to post up the actual figures of those who have "Actually" died from COVID?........Rather than fiddle the figures of those who died with COVID?.......

Certainty, part way down the link you so kindly supplied is another link "Deaths occurring between 1 January and 31 October 2021 edition of this dataset", this is the raw data.

Month.........Unvaxed............Full Vaxed..............Part Vaxed.

May................79......................72............................250

June..............95......................163...........................119

July................329....................741...........................95

Aug................573....................1540........................98

Sept...............481......................2014.....................98

Oct.................393......................2188.....................84

Total.............1950.....................6718.....................753

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2022-01-09 6:49 PM

Deaths per million

Indonesia 531

Philippines 465

Japan 145

Australia 83

Madagascar 36

Yes please do remind me. Face it Dave, there is no way you can squirm your way out of this one.

Using racist terms is also against the forum rules by the way but I hope you are right but even if you are how does that detract from holding Johnson and his cronies to account for the appalling way he handled the pandemic and FFS!, learn how to use Tinyurl will you and fix that link that's screwed up the entire thread.

Get a life? (lol) What like you who seem to have spent most of yours on here which wouldn't be so bad if you had actually said anything in that entire time that wasn't complete guff.

Racist terms???.........We all know Who is responsible for the virus *-) .......

The only shocking thing is how low you LOSERS have stooped *-) ........

There really is no limit to how low you will go to try to bash Boris & Brexit 8-) .......

Best buy a mirror Barry and take a long hard look at yourself...... at what you have become :-| ........

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2022-01-09 6:57 PM

The Brexpress in November 2020 helpfully reminds us of Johnson ignoring the scientists to keep himself popular with the plebs. Such a shame that his actions led to thousands of unnecessary deaths.

So you finally appear to accept your reward as the forums best NASTY point scoring LEFTY LOSER Cheap Chimp of the year >:-) .........

Well done......You have earn't it :D .........

Guest pelmetman
Gremlin - 2022-01-09 7:24 PM

You lot really do need to get a life.

You forget Grumblin ;-) ........

For some on here.....the forum is their life 8-) .......

Apart from today I rarely do more than pop on to feed the Chimps :D .........

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2022-01-09 6:58 PM

Certainty, part way down the link you so kindly supplied is another link "Deaths occurring between 1 January and 31 October 2021 edition of this dataset", this is the raw data.

Why are you using raw data?.......is it because it doesn't support your Boris bashing views once its put into perspective (?) ..........

BTW did they die "from" COVID or "with" COVID? :-| ........

pelmetman - 2022-01-09 7:37 PM

colin - 2022-01-09 6:58 PM

Why are you using raw data?.......is it because it doesn't support your Boris bashing views once its put into perspective (?) ..........

BTW did they die "from" COVID or "with" COVID? :-| ........

Well that's simple to explain, your whole premise for starting this thread was "BUT AS THE FACTS SHOW.....the majority of those "Actually" dying from COVID now are unvaccinated .......", that is complete bull, and now you know it and are trying to deflect from the facts.

While the vaccine has saved thousands of lives it's not fool proof and to keep deaths in check other measures need to be taken when necessary.

pelmetman - 2022-01-09 7:31 PM

Gremlin - 2022-01-09 7:24 PM

You lot really do need to get a life.

You forget Grumblin ;-) ........

For some on here.....the forum is their life 8-) .......

Apart from today I rarely do more than pop on to feed the Chimps :D .........

Man approaching 40,000 posts, including more than 30 just today tells others to get a life.

Man who has announced his departure from the forum so many times he could get a job at Manchester airport, despite only being on the forum for 48 hours, joins in.

Its almost as if they just don't like being reminded just how bad the government they support has been in its response to covid, the economy and Brexit and just want to shut down debate.

pelmetman - 2022-01-09 7:00 PM

Deaths per million

Indonesia 531

Philippines 465

Japan 145

Australia 83

Madagascar 36

Racist terms???.........We all know Who is responsible for the virus *-) .......

There really is no limit to how low you will go to try to bash Boris & Brexit 8-) .......

Best buy a mirror Barry and take a long hard look at yourself...... at what you have become :-| ........

Your so dim you don't even realise how offensive the word "Chinky" is. Actually I think you probably do which is one reason Ive never been arsed to pull you up on it. Just shows the sort of person you are really.

Its maybe you who needs to look in the mirror but again you will only see what you want to see. So very sad.

Gremlin - 2022-01-09 11:13 PM

Barryd999 - 2022-01-09 9:26 PM

Deaths per million

Indonesia 531

Philippines 465

Japan 145

Australia 83

Madagascar 36

Your so dim you don't even realise how offensive the word "Chinky" is. Actually I think you probably do which is one reason Ive never been arsed to pull you up on it. Just shows the sort of person you are really.

Its maybe you who needs to look in the mirror but again you will only see what you want to see. So very sad.

Not sure I would recommend looking in the mirror but next time you you are in China check out the term Gwai lo.

It’s an “affectionate” term for people such as you..

Its actually Gweilo or gwailou, its not two words.

Its not necessarily considered a racist slur these days but even if it was so what? You think its ok to use racist terms here in the UK just because some people in another country might have racist terms for us? How do you feel about Paki or Nigger? They ok as well because there might be similar names for us Whiteys?

Gremlin - 2022-01-10 2:53 AM

Barryd999 - 2022-01-10 12:57 AM

Gremlin - 2022-01-09 11:13 PM

Barryd999 - 2022-01-09 9:26 PM

Deaths per million

Indonesia 531

Philippines 465

Japan 145

Australia 83

Madagascar 36

Not sure I would recommend looking in the mirror but next time you you are in China check out the term Gwai lo.

It’s an “affectionate” term for people such as you..

Its actually Gweilo or gwailou, its not two words.

Its not necessarily considered a racist slur these days but even if it was so what? You think its ok to use racist terms here in the UK just because some people in another country might have racist terms for us? How do you feel about Paki or Nigger? They ok as well because there might be similar names for us Whiteys?

I won’t be drawn into name type mud slinging. It’s a trap used by many. But I will say, the expression, I used, in Cantonese, is two words not one. Gwai meaning Ghost or Devil and lou meaning man. Definitely written as two Chinese language characters.

As for others being “so dim” - coming from someone who habitually demonstrates they do not know the difference between “your” and “you’re”, I would suggest care in labelling others “dim”.

We all can make mistakes - that does not give anyone the right to label others.

What is wrong with people on here?

Well done, you learned how to use Google. *-)

I do know the difference between your and you're I just cant be bothered with syntax on social media half the time, partly because I know it annoys old fart pedants.

Archived