70 next birthday and in a quandary

steveandlisa

Hi,

Reading "Fesspark2" thread regarding (changing m/home gross weight) has jogged my memory regards my moho and license. When i bought my used Bailey Approach 740se it had already been uprated from 3500 to 3850kg MTPLM. Now i`m soon to reach the grand old age of 70yrs and now have two choices, one is to down rate the weight of my moho to its original to 3500kg, or two take a medical and keep my C1 entitlement. I would be happy to opt for option two and down rate but am unsure as to how to go about it? I have all the relevant paperwork necessary for the vehicle.

Steve

The van was more than likely plated up due to lack of payload, an affliction that affects many mainly coachbuilt vans.

My inclination, if you like the van and have no other intentions of selling it, would be to take the medical if you are fit enough and keep the van as is.

If you fail, or would fail, the medical perhaps then think of down plating, but a visit to a weighbridge fully laden in holiday mode would give you a better idea of the weight involved and the practicality of down plating.

Rich makes a valid point re the potential of not sufficient payload if you down grade.

Was to do I guess depends on your health situation. If you feel confident of passing a medical then I would go down that route.

My own situation is not too different in that as I have just turned 75 and hold an HGV licence I must pass a medical each year to continue with that licence level. I last month did pass the medical however I have been struggling with long sight due to developing cataracts in both eyes. This became very obvious last year when travelling in the outback trying to watch for stray animals. So I took the decision to have laser surgery on both eyes to fix the problem that would continue to rear it"s head. First eye last week second eye today. All good with now no need to down rate my licence. There are choices and only you can decide what is best for you.

I am not familiar with the process of down rating in UK so I will leave that to others on here. cheers

Archived