More "winning"

Bulletguy

Jacob Rees-Mogg launches UK govt study on the benefits of UK switching back to imperial measurements. Rees-Mogg, who is now “Brexit opportunities” minister, is thought to be keen to find benefits from ditching the metric system used by rest of world.

He is going to be really peeved when he finds out that the international definition of the Inch is that it is exactly 25.4mm. That's right folks the Inch is defined by the metric system..

He also seems to have overlooked the fact that the imperial system has not been taught in the UK for more than forty five years.

"The government is to launch a study of the economic benefits of reintroducing Imperial units of measurement, to quantify a supposed advantage of Brexit.

Ministers provoked mockery from opposition politicians with the "ludicrous" move, which will be overseen by the business department this year.

In 2019 Boris Johnson pledged to usher in a new "era of generosity and tolerance towards traditional measurements" and suggested measuring in pounds and ounces was "ancient liberty".

This month he appointed Jacob Rees-Mogg as “minister for Brexit opportunities” in order to examine how Britain can benefit from leaving the EU."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-imperial-measurements-economic-benefit-study-b2021304.html

Gremlin - 2022-02-23 1:31 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2022-02-23 12:30 PM

Gremlin - 2022-02-23 12:06 PM

As I understand it the “rules of origin” issue is one that is likely to diminish with time. It has and always was going to be an issue in the early years.

This rules of origin tariff applies to goods imported from the EU which were originally made or contain components made, outside the EU.

So as time goes on and the Free Ports come on song, the UK’s need to import things made outside the EU but which we have historically bought from the EU after another EU country had imported it, will cease to be sourced from the EU and bought directly from the country it originated from.

Currently Rotterdam imports a huge amount of goods from all over the world. This was then distributed. And for now, the U.K. still does but as new supply routes evolve the U.K. will source less and less non-EU goods via the EU.

But this cannot be set up just like that. New infrastructure needs to be set up.

One year of a transition period and now into the first year of our actually having left is hardly going to give an accurate idea of what and how we will do things over the coming years and decades.

"did I ask you a question?

I generally only ask people who I respect. You are simply a tribal keyboard warrior incapable of seeing anything like the bigger picture."

My mission is to educate.

Tough task in your case.

I accept that it is always difficult to educate from a position of ignorance.

Why do you think that manufacturers outside the EU will provide parts for a market of 66 million people at the same price as they would for a market of 450 million?

Gremlin - 2022-02-23 4:28 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2022-02-23 2:09 PM

Gremlin - 2022-02-23 1:31 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2022-02-23 12:30 PM

Gremlin - 2022-02-23 12:06 PM

As I understand it the “rules of origin” issue is one that is likely to diminish with time. It has and always was going to be an issue in the early years.

This rules of origin tariff applies to goods imported from the EU which were originally made or contain components made, outside the EU.

So as time goes on and the Free Ports come on song, the UK’s need to import things made outside the EU but which we have historically bought from the EU after another EU country had imported it, will cease to be sourced from the EU and bought directly from the country it originated from.

Currently Rotterdam imports a huge amount of goods from all over the world. This was then distributed. And for now, the U.K. still does but as new supply routes evolve the U.K. will source less and less non-EU goods via the EU.

But this cannot be set up just like that. New infrastructure needs to be set up.

One year of a transition period and now into the first year of our actually having left is hardly going to give an accurate idea of what and how we will do things over the coming years and decades.

"did I ask you a question?

I generally only ask people who I respect. You are simply a tribal keyboard warrior incapable of seeing anything like the bigger picture."

My mission is to educate.

Tough task in your case.

I accept that it is always difficult to educate from a position of ignorance.

Why do you think that manufacturers outside the EU will provide parts for a market of 66 million people at the same price as they would for a market of 450 million?

In your ignorance you once again miss the point. Why would they NOT want to provide product to a market that is not as protectionist as the EU?

Probably the most obvious example of EU protectionism is the CAP - Common Agricultural Policy which gives EU agriculture an unfair competitive advantage in terms of global export and trade.

Not only that - when the EU produces a surplus it has been known to dump this on the world markets thereby destroying agricultural economies.

On a wider point than just agriculture the EU allows any citizen or company in the EU to file a complaint to EU institutions and accuse a non- EU Company of unfair market practices and unfair competition.

Under the guise of “adoption of EU standards and rules” it has been a bit of a joy for non-EU countries very keen to trade with us (the U.K. Is the 5th largest economy in the world) to say “welcome to our world” when the EU’s protectionist stance was seen in all its glory by a U.K. now no longer part of the EU.

But for all its insular protectionism, the EU, whilst a significant trading block, is not the only game in town.

And with 40% of its energy requirements in Putins hands - it’s going to be an interesting year.

They may well want to provide a product, what I'm talking about is the economies of scale. So I'll ask again, why would a company make arrangements for a separate drop in a UK port to supply a market of 66 million at the same price as they can supply 450 million? That's why the price of goods will increase at a higher rate in the UK.

Archived