Travelling to Spain by Road.

PeterG

Hi,We plan to travel to Spain in May by road from France.

We are supposed to fill in a Pre-departure form. I have been on the Spanish website spth.gob.es but it only gives you a choice of entering Spain by Air or by Ferry.

Normally when you cross from France to Spain there are no border controls. We usually cross into Spain via Vielha and the Vielha tunnel.

The other item is that we are supposed to get our passports stamped when entering Spain so they can check if we are over the 90 days allowed. If it is not stamped they will assume we have overstayed out limit.

Can anyone help me resolve these issues.

Peter Gordon.

PeterG - 2022-02-13 10:58 AM

Hi,We plan to travel to Spain in May by road from France.

We are supposed to fill in a Pre-departure form. I have been on the Spanish website spth.gob.es but it only gives you a choice of entering Spain by Air or by Ferry.

Normally when you cross from France to Spain there are no border controls. We usually cross into Spain via Vielha and the Vielha tunnel.

The other item is that we are supposed to get our passports stamped when entering Spain so they can check if we are over the 90 days allowed. If it is not stamped they will assume we have overstayed out limit.

Can anyone help me resolve these issues.

Peter Gordon.

With regards to the first part of your question this may help:

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/covid/faq/covid-19-rules-for-driving-by-car-from-france-to-barcelona.html

With regards to 90 days I thought this applied to the whole Schengen area so starts when you enter France and stamped at that border??

Second issue only. Your passports will be stamped when you enter France, and inspected when you leave France (or Spain, if you return direct), and the days you have spent in the Schengen zone (including the day you enter and the day you leave) calculated.

If, when you leave, that calculation shows you have spent less than 90 days in the Schengen zone within the preceding 180 days you will be fine. If more than 90 days within the preceding 180 days, depending on the degree of infringement, you will be liable to be reprimanded in some way, possibly fined, possibly banned from re-entering for a period of time.

The restriction relates to the whole Scnengen zone, and not to the individual countries in that zone. Be aware that not all EU states are in Schengen. It is when crossing the external Schengen border that the 90/180 days restriction come in. Once in, you must leave from a Schnegen state, and your passports must be stamped / recorded when you leave, or the record will show you having overstayed when next you want to enter. Liable to result in entry being refused until you can confirm to their satisfaction, where, and when, you had left Schengen.

Hi, I have looked at the Barcelona information and it appears not to be up to date. So I am still not clear what we have to do.

Regarding the passports, it makes sense that they are stamped when entering and leaving France.

Thanks for your help.

Peter Gordon.

Regarding entering Spain by land, this link

https://travelsafe.spain.info/en/types-control-arrival-according-to-means-of-travel/

CURRENTLY advises as follows:

If you travel by land:

1. There is no requirement to submit a health control form.

2. Travellers over 12 years old coming from risk countries or areas arriving in Spain by land from France must have a vaccination/diagnostic test/recovery certificate.

PeterG - 2022-02-13 12:08 PM

Hi, I have looked at the Barcelona information and it appears not to be up to date. So I am still not clear what we have to do.

Regarding the passports, it makes sense that they are stamped when entering and leaving France.

Thanks for your help.

Peter Gordon.

As far as I know you just drive across the border as previously and you may then encounter a Police / customs patrol somewhere on route. If so they will want to ascertain your vaccination status from your NHS Covid pass which can be on your electronic device or pdf paper copy. You would of course have required that at the French border.

As was said in the original posting, the Spanish website relating to the Spanish Travel/Health form (SPTH)

https://www.spth.gob.es

only offers two alternatives

1: Entering Spain by air

2: Entering Spain by sea

Although the form is not required when entering Spain by land, it has certainly caused problems for travellers arriving by air or sea. This December 2021 forum thread referred to entering Spain by ferry

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Spain-health-and-travel-form-called-FCS/59316/

and online comments in 2022 indicate that ‘technical’ problems with applications persist.

When travelling by road from France to Spain it appears that you need only do the paperwork for France.

On the French Passenger Locator Form you need to add that your final destination will be Spain.

That is all you have to do.

Peter Gordon.

I am this very minute just south of Madrid heading for the Somport Tunnel, if its anything like the other times

I've crossed during the covid pandemic then I hardly need worry ......there's never been an obvious official border presence evident in either direction. Could have saved 190€ (and botheration) on 2 pcr tests last year.......just saying ??

PeterG - 2022-02-13 4:09 PM

When travelling by road from France to Spain it appears that you need only do the paperwork for France.

On the French Passenger Locator Form you need to add that your final destination will be Spain.

That is all you have to do.

Peter Gordon.

As far as I can make out the requirement to complete an EU Passenger Locator Form when travelling to France only applies when air-travel is involved.

https://app.euplf.eu/#/

For 'unvaccinated' people travelling to France - besides providing a Sworn Statement form - it will currently be necessary to complete a Travel Certificate to Metropolitan France form, but the latter is not required for 'vaccinated' travellers.

(What the regulatory position will be in May 2022 is anybody's guess...)

Just a few recent incidental observations .... crossed into Gibraltar/Spain with and without my van

over a dozen times over the last few weeks, passport was duly stamped by Spanish control on

every in and out occasion.

Passport now looks like a tattoo artists practise pad, wish I had opted for the 50 page version!

If I had remained a minute or so past midnight in Gib it would have constituted a day out of the

Schengen zone. Anyone having to postpone, say a ferry booking from France could take

advantage of this. Haven't as yet done so myself I might add !

I collected a Gib. EU Red ID Card. Going to swat up any time extension/advantage if any this

will confer on my 90/180 days restriction.

simian - 2022-02-13 4:21 PM

I am this very minute just south of Madrid heading for the Somport Tunnel, if its anything like the other times

I've crossed during the covid pandemic then I hardly need worry ......there's never been an obvious official border presence evident in either direction. Could have saved 190€ (and botheration) on 2 pcr tests last year.......just saying ??

How was Somport? Any border checks? We're doing it next Friday.

Went through the Somport Spain to France on the 16th Feb. No obvious sign of Mr plod in any

of his/her various incarnations at the border or vicinity. Requirement for snowchain signs were showing on the approach roads but no settled snow on the road, just damp.

The French regulations ("Loi montagne") regarding winter tyres/snow chains are mentioned here

https://home.cern/news/announcement/cern/winter-tyres-mandatory-france-1-november

with more details (in French) here

https://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/chacun-son-mode-de-deplacement/dangers-de-la-route-en-voiture/equipement-de-la-voiture/nouveaux

https://www.odopass.fr/loi-montagne

Where "winter tyres" are concerned, the rules are as follows

Winter tyres, within the meaning of the decree, are tyres covered by the “3PMSF” designation (3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake), identifiable by the presence of the “Alpine symbol” marking and one of the “M+S” markings. ”, “MS” or “M&S”.

Until November 1, 2024, snow tyres just marked "M+S" will be tolerated.

All-season tyres (4S, All Weather, All Season) have no regulatory definition. To be considered winter tyres, they must be stamped "3PMSF", or at least "M+S" for the transition period for the first 3 years after the new regulations apply.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you travelling from England.

Having just returned ,passport stamped in france on way out

Spain overland proof of vaccination required if you get stopped, no checks at Spanish border.

On return again no checks ,your passport has date you entered Shengan area so no probs within 90days

Archived