over 70 renewal C1 licence return timings

chris

• 5 weeks later...

On Monday it was exactly 10 weeks to the day that they received our application. Tuesday I finally got through to a que on the phone using 03007906801. Couldnt believe it when I finally spoke to someone. They passed me onto the Medical section then and that was answered sooner than i thought as i had to run down the allotment at bottom of street to get permission for me to speak to them as its my husbands licence. This is the medical section phone number everyone 03007906806.

I asked them to check but all they could say was it had been received and was being processed. I said it had been 10 weeks and that we needed it for june 6th going abroad. He said he would put a marker on the application. Today i checked online at the status of his licence and it has been issued today with 7 days left before it expires.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence to check progress.

Now we have to wait upto a fortnight to recieve it in the post so fingers crossed. Good luck everyone else. Try that medical number if you are near 10 weeks applying.

I had a similar experience 3 weeks ago - my application is now in for 13 weeks. But when I got through to the medical section I said we were going to France in August, and likewise was told they’d put a marker on file. (Wishing now I’d said we were going in June!). It’s encouraging that the marker seems to have prompted a speedier response.

I did ask whether I would know if the medical section raised any queries with my doctor, and was told they would copy me into any such query.

As I mentioned on this thread's previous page, my wife's driving-licence renewal application was posted to the DVLA in October 2021. She has confirmed (by telephone) that the application was received by the DVLA in October 2021 and has sent copies of the results of the eyesight tests she has had since. Six months on, no communication from the DVLA's Drivers Medical Group, nor any sign of her licence...

Conclusion.

The license arrived this morning after I made the phone call to medical people on Monday. Issued Wednesday and received in the post Friday. total from posting was 10 weeks and 4 days.

Thanks for all your info and I really hope you all have an easy application process. I paid for a new photo and we completed a cardiac questionnaire for atrial fibrilation just in case. Medical problems are all stable so no change from previous application. Now I need to get the travel insurance and book the tunnel and we are off in June.

Oh and the start date is in May as requested via a letter attached to the application so we have not lost any time on expiry date.

Husband is 81

:-D B-)

Hi, as Chris as found out there aes people alive and well at DLVA Swansea. On Tuesday I took and passed a test to upgrade my motorcycle licence from A1 to A. The examiner said that for the quickest return for my license he would send it off saying I should get it in about five days. It arrived in the post this morning Friday. When talking about delays in processing renewals and contacting DVLA by phone he said that his experience was, if you call them at 8am sharp you stand a chance of getting connected, 8.10 and you could be hanging on all day.

Regards David

chris - 2022-04-28 9:10 AM

Maybe phone the medical phone line Derek?

I've managed to do that (Telephoned at 08:00 followed by queuing for 45 minutes) and mentioned that, although my wife should be able to drive 'legally' in the UK while the DVLA is processing her licence renewal, this consideration won't apply when she drives abroad.

The DVLA will now send my wife a letter asking her to arrange an eye test at Specsavers - which is what we had anticipated would happen when she applied to renew her licence last October. So at least things are moving forwards...

Derek Uzzell - 2022-04-30 9:04 AM

I've managed to do that (Telephoned at 08:00 followed by queuing for 45 minutes) and mentioned that, although my wife should be able to drive 'legally' in the UK while the DVLA is processing her licence renewal, this consideration won't apply when she drives abroad.

The DVLA will now send my wife a letter asking her to arrange an eye test at Specsavers - which is what we had anticipated would happen when she applied to renew her licence last October. So at least things are moving forwards...

I've just applied for my HGV licence with my eye test as well but suddenly thought that I will have to renew my international driving permit as well, I've not heard nor seen any comments about this so do I still have to have it?, if so how much does it cost?

teccer1234 - 2022-04-30 3:47 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2022-04-30 9:04 AM

I've just applied for my HGV licence with my eye test as well but suddenly thought that I will have to renew my international driving permit as well, I've not heard nor seen any comments about this so do I still have to have it?, if so how much does it cost?

Ive just googled it and I do not need IDP or green card so all we need now is to get rid of the AHC, SOME HOPES****

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like this issue is now resolved. Having monitored the DVLA update postings on a weekly basis for the last couple of months the following appeared yesterday: “All our services are operating within normal turnaround times as paper applications are being processed within 3 to 4 weeks”.

Sincerely hope that’s the case as I’ll be sending my paperwork off at the end of this month for a 5th July renewal.

Incidentally, can’t fault D4 drivers re. the statutory medical. Excellent service.

stevemc67 - 2022-05-14 1:24 PM

Looks like this issue is now resolved. Having monitored the DVLA update postings on a weekly basis for the last couple of months the following appeared yesterday: “All our services are operating within normal turnaround times as paper applications are being processed within 3 to 4 weeks”.

Sincerely hope that’s the case as I’ll be sending my paperwork off at the end of this month for a 5th July renewal.

Incidentally, can’t fault D4 drivers re. the statutory medical. Excellent service.

Sorry, but that is untrue. I applied 25 January and am still waiting - spoken twice to staff in DVLA medical section who say it’s awaiting consideration, ie not that queries have been sent to my gp and not yet answered, which I think is normal excuse.

Having just checked the DVLA website, beneath the section where it talks about paper applications being back to normal turnaround times, there is a further section covering medical issues. This makes it clear that further delays apply there, and cites the need to get queries answered, and also the continuing effect of 58 days of industrial action previously, which apparently targeted that section. It says they should be on normal timescale (whatever that is) by September.

Archived