Duck boards

rooster63

Thinking about putting a duck board in our washroom as often water collects in the shower tray as there is only one drain hole and also if the tipping sink is lifted before fully draining more water ends up on the floor resulting in soggy socks.

Just wondered if there is any danger of cracking the tray floor if a duck board is used although the one I am looking at is bamboo and has 5 slats underneath so assume weight is fairly evenly distributed.

Have had the shower tray recoated as it had a couple of cracks in it, not sure if that makes the tray more crack resistant or not.

Have just googled this subject(should have done that first) and using a wooden rigid duck boards seems to be no. Any suggestions so that not walking on wet floor, other than mopping it out every time the shower is used?

rooster63 - 2022-03-04 4:58 PM

Thinking about putting a duck board in our washroom as often water collects in the shower tray as there is only one drain hole and also if the tipping sink is lifted before fully draining more water ends up on the floor resulting in soggy socks.

Just wondered if there is any danger of cracking the tray floor if a duck board is used although the one I am looking at is bamboo and has 5 slats underneath so assume weight is fairly evenly distributed.

Have had the shower tray recoated as it had a couple of cracks in it, not sure if that makes the tray more crack resistant or not.

Have just googled this subject(should have done that first) and using a wooden rigid duck boards seems to be no. Any suggestions so that not walking on wet floor, other than mopping it out every time the shower is used?

As far as I can see anything you put on the floor isn't going to get rid of the water.

So its going to trap even more dirty water so it goes slimy and smelly.

Maybe damage the shower tray, or you if you slip on it.

I just keep a spray bottle with bleach in and spray a light mist on the walls & floor when I've finished

The thin cheap stuff about 40p for 2 litres.

10 second job - Keeps it gleaming spotless. B-)

We had a van that came with a wooden duckboard and, as has been said, it was slimy and smelly when wet so we dumped it and dried the shower tray from the outside with a sponge and chamois leather. We soon learnt how to carefully empty a tip up wash basin so that it did not tip water on the loo and from there onto the floor!

Total cost - nowt!! Inconvenience - minor - all part of motorhoming!!

pelmetman - 2022-03-07 6:26 PM

As chief flunky its always been my job to clean the shower out after use :D .........

One of the joys of motorhoming - along with emptying the loo!

But not as much fun as cleaning the bilges in a submarine perhaps?

We bought a set of gridded interlocking foam play mats and they have been excellent: soft to the feet, easy to clean, dry very quickly as don’t absorb water and available in a variety of colours or patterns. Cheap , weigh nothing and easy to cut to shape.

The spare ones in the pack have a variety of uses too. We got ours from Aldi but others have them..

Must be gridded, ie with holes:

Link to Amazon

(Link shortened to fix page width error)

Archived