Tracker draining battery?

Hello

We bought our first (new to us) motorhome in January, from a dealer.

It’s a 2015 Autosleeper Broadway duo. One previous owner.

We’ve been having problems with an often flat vehicle battery.

The dealership have had it back, fitted new battery and alternator, but it was still totally flat after 10 days.

It’s now back at the dealership and they’ve checked everything for possible battery drain.

The only possibility left appears to be the tracker fitted by the previous owner. The details of which came with the van.

But the mechanics can’t find it.

We’ve contacted Hal locate with the vehicle details and they have no record of it.

We have the previous owners details with all the paperwork that came with the van. Would it be acceptable to attempt to contact them to see if they may know where the tracker is located?

If not, what else can we do?

Any suggestions/opinions much appreciated!

Hi,

If there is a tow bar fitted make sure the check the electric connections and smart relay for parasitic drain on the battery.along with your tracker and any lights like maybe in lockers or even you glovebox

They should be well able to find the draw as it's not very difficult

Regards

If you have a Sargent EC500 PSU fitted , solar should (if wired through the unit) charge both engine and leisure batteries at the same time , as they need it , through the built in controller , but if the PSU shutdown button is turned off when the van is parked up only the leisure battery will receive a charge from the solar. If the shutdown button is left switched on both batteries should receive a charge from the solar. Also some makes of radios that are fitted to vans use excessive current in standby mode when switched off , it may be worth disconnecting the radio and seeing if things improve .

Hi

If you have all the information from the previous owner you should therefore contact the relevant installer of the unit, It will be stamped on the form They should have a record and should be able to help you, They of course would need the relevant proof you now own the Motorhome .

The installer may then re check the system for you that they installed ,fix the issue if needed This should then eliminate if faulty the parasitic draw on your vehicle battery, if it is indeed your Hal tracking system.

I am amazed your dealer has not been more of a help to you

Sorry for not been able to help more , but then it may not be the tracker

A good auto electrician should be able to verify what is causing this parasitic draw on your leisure battery quite easily (or a least the circuit) its on

Regards

Thanks all for the ideas.

I will check the PCU. I think I left it turned off so that could make a difference. I did notice the solar was previously going to both batteries.

The dealer has now managed to contact the last owner, he thinks he knows where the tracker may be….so fingers crossed the mechanic finds it and that is the issue. As he said he’s checked everything else. But there is definitely still a draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived