Warwick XL

Pete-B

Hi, Our AS Warwick XL came with a fitted gas tank so I would assume it has all the relevant safety features fitted ( I don't have my handbook here at the moment).

With that in mind, would there be any reason why I couldn't travel with the fridge on gas instead of 12V? .Our next trip is a longish one and the old Dutch needs to stop on a fairly regular basis!

Why would you want to run on gas when 12 volt electric is free?

Gas is expensive, good for getting the fridge down to cold less slowly, but needless on the road.

That apart it may be illegal and if not illegal certainly not good practise as any naked flame on the move is not a great idea, plus chances are air movement will blow it out and the gas cut off will any way.

We had a Warwick XL for several years and 12 v fridge always worked fine for us even in the French and Spanish hot seasons

An Auto-Sleepers handbook is available online for a 2016 model-year Warwick XL.

The "PREPARING FOR THE ROAD" chapter includes a "Before Moving Off" section that advises

Turn off all gas appliances, except those heating appliances designed to function while the vehicle is in motion.

It appears that a 2016 Warwick XL would have had a Truma 'crash sensor' gas regulator (and presumably a matching Truma anti-rupture gas hose) that would permit a suitably-certificated gas heater to be legally operated in a moving vehicle throughout Europe - but it's plain that Auto-Sleepers did not approve a fridge being operated on gas while the motorhome was being driven.

This long 2017 forum thread may be worth reading

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Running-a-Fridge-on-Gas-on-the-Move-/48234

...such information as I can glean on the Warwick XL indicates that it should be fitted with a Thetford SES fridge (possibly of one of a number of sizes).

If that is the case, then the OP should surely be able to achieve his objective simply by using the "Auto" source setting and leaving the gas supply open.

Whilst driving it will favour 12V, and once stopped, (and I'm assuming after a safety delay, akin to Dometic AES fridges) it will switch to gas (resuming on 12V when next driving).

It should be safe to do this, though it might also be sensible to manually switch the fridge off directly on entering any filling station, as a precaution, and re-select auto once away from the pumps (especially if one expects to be slow filling up ;-) I've just checked Thetford details, though, and the gas ignition delay after driving appears to be 15 minutes, which should be safe for most filling stops. ).

Archived