ACSI Apps

Brian Kirby

For anyone who has any of the above on a Windows O/S computer (or possibly an Apple O/S computer), please note that I have been advised by ACSI that they have discontinued the Apps for the Windows platform.

The uncertainty over Apple computers is whether this applies equally to the Apple computer operating system, which I believe may not be the same as the Apple 'phone operating system.

To be clear, the Apps continue to be available for use on mobile 'phones, whether Android or Apple.

When abroad I used to use an iPad to run ACSI apps when wifi was available, primarily because the screen size was so much larger than my phone's - so a laptop could be used in the same manner.

For what it's worth, there are no ACSI apps on the Apple App Store that is appropriate for Apple desktop and laptop computers. However (as one would expect) ACSI apps are available on the Apple App Store appropriate for Apple mobile devices like iPads and iPhones.

stevec176 - 2022-04-09 7:48 PM

Thanks Derek, I wouldn't think there are many who would still use ACSI on a computer after all it wouldn't be any use while touring so it would seem logical for the company to stop support and therefore save money.

Well, I did, and it was extremely useful on a computer - especially the ACSI Campsites Europe app, which gives all the "ACSI Inspected" campsites in country by country (downloadable, albeit modestly chargeable) data sets. This also includes all the Camping Card ACSI sites. With Google maps downloaded (free) one can search for sites visually, on-screen, or by entering the name of a nearby town to centre the map. So, no roamed data and no WiFi needed, but available as, and when, wanted and as Derek says, viewable on a decent sized screen. What's not to like? :-)

Brian Kirby - 2022-04-10 10:43 AM

stevec176 - 2022-04-09 7:48 PM

Thanks Derek, I wouldn't think there are many who would still use ACSI on a computer after all it wouldn't be any use while touring so it would seem logical for the company to stop support and therefore save money.

Well, I did, and it was extremely useful on a computer - especially the ACSI Campsites Europe app, which gives all the "ACSI Inspected" campsites in country by country (downloadable, albeit modestly chargeable) data sets. This also includes all the Camping Card ACSI sites.

They used to sell a DVD with all ACSI sites on throughout Europe. Absolutely brilliant mapping and they were quite cheap too. Each year they brought a new one out and any left from the previous year, ACSI sold cut price.

Sadly they stopped producing them in 2016.

Archived