Overnight in Dover

ollybear

We are planning a trip to England in May. We will be arriving by ferry around 6 pm. Does anybody know whether it is still possible/advisable to stay overnight around Marine Parade, or is there any better possibility.

Thank you for any information

Sorry Olly ..... Just at present I doubt you'll get a sensible reply to this!

Dover is gridlocked as is much of Kent due to the closure of roads from Maidstone towards Folkestone & Dover.

This is due to the shambles that P&O Ferries have created.

The situation might have cleared by the time you come over but I understand from local media that it's still on the cards if P&O will resume sailings soon or indeed at all. I imagine Marine Parade will not be a place you will want to stay if there are still problems

If I were you, I would plan to get as far away from Dover as you can!

It depends on what is the next destination after Dover.

If heading North the tip they gave you (Canterbury) is great.

If heading to the Channel coast, Rye might be a good option.

It is about 35 miles from Dover and is a nice town that deserves a few hours to visit.

You can sleep at the River Haven pub/restaurant/hotel

Address: Winchelsea Road, East Sussex TN31 7EL

GPS 50.94846, 0.73012

Overnight fee (in 2019) £ 10.00

Campercontact # 9878

Url: https://www.campercontact.com/en/united-kingdom/england/rye/9878/parking-autowasplaats

I have parked overnight all around the coast of Kent - all OK except Dover being the worst place. Marine Parade is full of restrictions for motorhomes now. Lorries overnight on Channel View Road (small industrial estate), and you can usually find a space between them big enough for a motorhome. You hear the noise of the main road but it wasn't too bad. I'd rather move on to anywhere else in Kent though. Margate / Cliftonville seemed the most relaxed about parking - I even saw dropped caravans on the road there.

laimeduck - 2022-04-12 9:13 AM

This is due to the shambles that P&O Ferries have created.

In that case why is there no queue on the other side of the channel?

We may not be allowed to say the B***** word on Motorhome Matters,

but lets not pretend its due to something else.

A summary of the present Dover-Calais problems here

https://www.ft.com/content/e3e54f35-915b-4d4f-81f5-d72617d7886b

Advice on motorhome overnight parking on Marine Parade can be found here

https://tinyurl.com/ys3srz67

but (as has been suggested above) if arriving in Dover around 6pm, it should be wiser and more civilised to go elsewhere.

Derek ..... your first link hits a paywall.

The situation changes by the hour so it might be best to check via local radio and or TV news.

The commentators are suggesting that the problems will build throughout this week due to the reduction in capacity due to the lack of P&O ships sailing and the surge in demand.

Google: Dover traffic chaos damaging UK’s reputation, hauliers warn

to bypass the paywall

(every time you do that it puts a cookie on your PC. When you get a few of those it blocks you until you clear your cookies. If you have hit the paywall you will need to clear your cookies before you try again)

laimeduck - 2022-04-12 11:45 AM

The commentators are suggesting that the problems will build throughout this week due to the reduction in capacity due to the lack of P&O ships sailing and the surge in demand.

If you get through to the FT link

you will see the hauliers are not so shy of mentioning the B***** word ;-)

This needs saying because its not going to resolve itself after Easter :-(

Thank you for your replys. As I am heading towards Devon via M20-M25-M3-A303, I booked a campsite at Capel-la-Ferne. From what I can make out, the M20 westbound seems to be open normal, delays and closures seem to be eastbound, is that correct?

I've found that the best place to park near Dover issss............Newhaven ! Since B****T I've made best efforts to book Newhaven/Dieppe in preference to Dover/Calais. Recently qualifying as an old codger entitles me to 20% phoned

discount.

No use to the OP admittedly, but perhaps worth remembering for others, I use the plural because I'm assuming more

than one person is reading the posts, but could be mistaken !

Archived