Ducato X250 mystery pipe under bonnet

Mike P

Whilst investigating why my windscreen wipers have stopped working I came across a thin armoured plastic pipe attached to the scuttle but with a loose end; Chasing it back it appears to join other plastic armoured pipes around what could be a vacuum chamber ( about 2 inches diameter), just below the wiper motor.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Mike P

Mike

When you refer to an "thin armoured plastic pipe" do you mean a thin plastic pipe protected by a corrugated plastic 'sleeve'. If so, I'm guessing these pipes are for the windscreen washers and the one with a loose end would be for a windscreen washer option that your motorhome does not have (eg. for a rear-window wash/wiper or headlamp washers).

My crystal-ball conjecture is based on my Skoda's windscreen washer system that I'm currently working on to address a leak, as that has the type of sleeved pipes I've just mentioned, with one pipe going from the washer-bottle's pump to the windscreen and a second pipe going to tailgate's window. There's also a little jar-shaped plastic thing to which the two pipe's are connected, which MAY have some sort of pressure distribution function.

A picture would be most useful.

My 'van is an X290, so I can't do a comparison, but I suspect, if it is below the wiper motor, the "vacuum chamber" you refer to is in fact the "wet" end of the brake servo. It would sit directly under the brake fluid reservoir, and on the end of the (large) circular vacuum servo.

I can't see anything on the parts diagram for the brakes that has a loose (or even unexplained) pipe there, but if it has a non-braking function, it would be unlikely to appear on that particular diagram.

The EGR function on the X250 is also solenoid/vacuum driven, and has a "vacuum box" but that's the square black thing right in the top middle of the engine bay.

Mike P - 2022-04-14 5:51 PM

Whilst investigating why my windscreen wipers have stopped working I came across a thin armoured plastic pipe attached to the scuttle but with a loose end; Chasing it back it appears to join other plastic armoured pipes around what could be a vacuum chamber ( about 2 inches diameter), just below the wiper motor.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks

Mike P

Any chance you could add a picture of this pipe

Hi Mike P,

Is your Ducato x250 the 150hp version?

If yes, then that engine uses a variable vane turbo which is vacuum controlled. The electric/vacuum control valve is situated at the rear centre of the engine bay. Perhaps this valve is what you are calling a vacuum chamber. If this is the case, then it will also have an electrical connector for the connection to the engine computer. However this does not explain the disconnected pipe.

Alan

Alanb

I believe the item you are referring to is the 'vacuum tank' (photo below) that was discussed in this late-2019 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-engine-bay-identify-part/53867/

I initially wondered if this was the thing Mike was asking about, but its position and appearance nowhere near match his description.

(I can't see this being resolved without photos from Mike (or steveandlisa). Photos have been requested three times now with no response.)

Alanb

I believe the item you are referring to is the 'vacuum tank' (photos below) that was discussed in this late-2019 forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Ducato-engine-bay-identify-part/53867/

I initially wondered if this was the thing Mike was asking about, but its position and appearance nowhere near match his description.

(I can't see Mike's enquiry being successfully resolved without photos from Mike (or steveandlisa). Photos have been requested three times now with no response. Inspired guesswork can only go so far...)

1054286188_vacuumtank1.jpg.80f5881a1823375329390acb244faf77.jpg

95322577_vacuumtank2.jpg.e047aa3e6563df3870528466701958b6.jpg

Whilst my x250 is slightly different, the 'pipe', has the standard Fiat flexible conduit on it which would only normally be on the wiring loom, as for where it clips, looks like it should be on the tab above brake fluid filler cap.

I agree with Colin about where the clip on the flexible corrugated conduit should go, particularly as there's a similar clip on the conduit nearby that I've circled in yellow on the photo in my last posting. I'm also tempted to think (prompted by Colin's remark about the wiring loom) that the thing in the conduit is not a "pipe" but a dead-end electrical cable.

This 2019 forum thread may be worth looking at

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/2007-Fiat-Ducato-2-2-mystery-connection-/51774/

If what's in the conduit is an electrical cable for an option that's not fitted to Mike's Ducato, I would have expected there to be a connector on its end. But hey - it's a Fiat!

colin - 2022-04-18 5:28 PM

Whilst my x250 is slightly different, the 'pipe', has the standard Fiat flexible conduit on it which would only normally be on the wiring loom, as for where it clips, looks like it should be on the tab above brake fluid filler cap.

thats where mines always been clipped wonder what its for

Have you tried pushing a piece of thin wire up the 'pipe'? If it's an electrical cable (which its emergence from the wiring loom suggests it is) you won't be able to do this. - or at least the piece of wire won't penetrate very far.

(It would be worth knowing whether Ducatos with the ComfortMatic transmission also have this 'pipe' thing.)

I believe you are correct.

A GOOGLE-search that included the word "antenna" retrieved this 2014 MHFacts forum enquiry.

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/149-fiat-ducato/118558-2008-3-0-160-wire-identification-please.html

I'm not a MHFacts subscriber (so I can't see the images on that thread) but the description clearly matches what is currently being discussed here.

Rayc (who is also a member of the Out&AboutLive forums) advised in the MHFacts thread that "It is the antenna for the Central Locking" and he went into more detail of the central locking system in this other 2014 MHFacts entry.

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/185-bodywork-trim/120072-urgent-x250-central-locking-malfunction-2.html

The item is referred to as "P093 R.F. antenna for door lock receiver." on Page 147 of this 2006 document

https://campervanineurope.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/fiat-ducato-1st_x250_training-manual.pdf

but its location on the vehicle is not revealed!

Are you saying that all Fiat Ducatos built from mid-2006 onwards have their central-locking antenna under the bonnet as discussed here? Or that all Ducatos built from mid-2006 onwards should be referred to as "X250", because that's what's on their Certificate of Conformity?

The Wikipedia Fiat Ducato entry splits the vehicle into four 'generations'. The platform(s) on which 3rd generation Ducatos were built from 2006-2014 are generally identified as "X250", while the platform(s) of 4th generation Ducatos built from 2014 onwards are generally identified as "X290".

I'm not sure which 'generation' the latest Ducato is (5 or 6)

https://www.fiatprofessional.com/ducato-2021/new-ducato/packs

nor whether it should still be referred to as a X290 or something else.

Derek a facelift x250 to x290 did not alter the COC. So if you look on a x290 fiat ducato coc it it still 250. But of course under bonnet details could be changed. You did a great post. And the arrows pointing. Were you a professional engineer in your career or a teacher ? Have you still have a motorhome or sort off.?

Archived