Handle

michele

Dancer - 2007-04-27 9:32 AM

What they do Robert is, feed your deposit into a high interest account and wait 'till it has compounded enough interest to pay for the build.

(See Hitchikers Guide; Restaurant at the end of the universe for the logic).

Very annoying though. Sympathy is extended.

Thanks Dancer. Still, I insisted on paying the deposit on credit card for security, which meant I got £20 cash back ...

They won't let me do the same for the balance though, not surprisingly!

Bob

michele - 2007-04-26 10:30 PM

Knaus,

sorry about that its terrible I would be upset as well .

Hears hoping to do manage to obtain it before summer because Hey hast why you ordered it ...........Tried to put a hurry on it ?

Hi Michele,

The latest news is that it should be available around middle of June so could be worse. The van was our choice after a year of searching for the right one so should be worth waiting for. As I said in other posts, reading about other people's trips in MMM and on here keeps me champing at the bit.

Bob

caraprof - 2007-04-27 9:59 AM

Dancer - 2007-04-27 9:32 AM

What they do Robert is, feed your deposit into a high interest account and wait 'till it has compounded enough interest to pay for the build.

(See Hitchikers Guide; Restaurant at the end of the universe for the logic).

Very annoying though. Sympathy is extended.

I know, it's annoying. Those awful people who won't trust all of the incredibly honest people out there, and insist on a reasonable deposit against an order for a £40K motorhome, have now made £40 after-tax profit on this sum.

Shame on them - thieving capitalists!

Hello Caraprof

Having run my own small business in the past I don't begrudge them a deposit and the dealer gave me a very fair deal anyway. They could have done a much better job of keeping me informed of progress though - I should not have to chase them. (No doubt if you had a customer who had ordered a customised, built to order camera you would have done so.) I'm of course impatient to pick up my new toy and it looks like it will be only 5 - 6 weeks late. As it's a German van I accept that the UK dealer is dependant on the manufacturer juggling production for us awkward Brits who drive on the correct side of the road.

Bob

Usinmyknaus,

I am really sorry for you and yours .The end of june not so bad I know not the same when you can't wait to play.

I bet you don't regret one minute of it we have never looked back and I don't think we would ever change our way of life .

Can't be doing with Air miles. I wished I was a bit more adventurous some time but that's said we have not retired as yet so hey who knows we will make it to other Places one day. In the mean time it's France for us and sadly it sits on the drive . having said that just got back 3 weeks ago and hubby's off with the lads tomorrow to do the D day landings we have seen it but its fun when the lads go and just have some down time ...

Lasse's again soon lucky me :D :D

You enjoy and go for it ....Dont let nothing stop you as when all said and done you only live once....Good luck many happy motoring years to you and Yours......wave as you go ;-)

messerschmitt owner - 2007-04-26 8:24 PM

me - I own a messerschmitt

bandits at 5 o'clock. Tally Ho!

Campbell, since when did your car sprout wings? Or have you been treating yourself to some new goggle and eating baked beans to 'pretend' to be flying? 8-)

My handle - Mel B, er, ... cause I'm Mel B perrhaps?

Oatibix ... very yummie, especially the ones with chocolate bits in if you poor hot milk on them. (lol)

Usinmyknaus - 2007-04-26 3:03 PM

Maybe I need to change to: Iwouldliketobeusinmyknausifonlytheywouldhurryupandmakeit.

Bob

Hello Usinmyknaus,

The advert shows the new Weetabix product with Oats as a massively long name on the side of a delivery truck and a chap trying to pronounce it when his Wife/Girlfriend says "Why not call it Oatibix". Does not seem quite so funny now. By the way it is Versprung Durch Technic which roughly translated in VIZ language means

WherethehellismyKnausthereareloadsmorevansintheshopsandIwantonenow

Hope you get the Knaus in time for this summer.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Michele. Hope your hubby and lads have a good time on the D Day beaches. I find the area very evocative every time I go there. On one of my trips to France by light aircraft I was able to fly quite low along the full set of beaches where the landings took place. Magic, and I couldn't resist making tacka tacka tacka noises and making spitfire wing waggles. (Just as well messerchmitt wasn't there at the time?)

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2007-04-30 7:14 AM

Thanks Michele. Hope your hubby and lads have a good time on the D Day beaches. I find the area very evocative every time I go there. On one of my trips to France by light aircraft I was able to fly quite low along the full set of beaches where the landings took place. Magic, and I couldn't resist making tacka tacka tacka noises and making spitfire wing waggles. (Just as well messerchmitt wasn't there at the time?)

Bob

Reminds me of when we went to a microcar rally in Germany back in 1998 with some friends, one of them, a nutter from near Newcastle who had a helmet and goggles for his folding di-blasti moped which he'd taken with him, could resist driving down the road with his arms outstretched humming the theme tune from the Dambusters ... we just tried to hide in some nearby foliage! 8-) (lol)

Tony Jones - 2007-04-30 8:54 AM

But if your in touch with the Knaus people again, remember the Basil Fawlty rule: when talking to Germans DON'T MENTION THE WAR!

Tony

Or fokkers. This nutter from Newcastle Mel mentioned. Might be more than two of us Tony and worth further investigation perhaps.

Way before my time Bob, but following Campbells postings I do remember one of my sisters boyfriends arriving to pick her up in a Hienkle bubble car. We all trooped out to have a look and watched in amazement as the whole front hinged out and they climbed in side by side. Doubt if they got up to any mischief in that one but you never know.

Around that time a feller up the street had a old Bond three wheeler. No reverse and you had to open the bonnet and kick start it, but he and his family were forever off camping with it.

howie - 2007-05-03 12:17 AM Way before my time Bob, but following Campbells postings I do remember one of my sisters boyfriends arriving to pick her up in a Hienkle bubble car. We all trooped out to have a look and watched in amazement as the whole front hinged out and they climbed in side by side. Doubt if they got up to any mischief in that one but you never know. Around that time a feller up the street had a old Bond three wheeler. No reverse and you had to open the bonnet and kick start it, but he and his family were forever off camping with it.

By ek howie that bond takes me back to my childhood days. not seen one of those for mega years. Just to change to subject, mass suicides here cos United lost!  he he.

When I was 18 (only last year!!!!) I used to work at Alan Taylor Motorcycles on Manchester St in Oldham. We used to sell NSU, the little 'bubble cars' and the Messchersmitt and also when the original 'Monkey' bikes came in from Japan, I have a photo somewhere of the showroom and we also did a show for all these at the Exhibition Hall at the end of Deansgate, I think it is called Castlefields now, not sure, not been for years. Must have been about 1962/3 and Terry Scott came as a "celebrity" on our stand. The bubble cars were great little things. There used to be a driving examiner in Oldham that rode about in a Messchersmitt, I think he was called Mr Green. After all these years the brain gets a bit addled.

You mentioning NSU brings back another memory there Sylvia. I once owned a 175 NSU scooter with the gearchange mounted on the running board. Went like the clappers and I eventually swapped it for a brass telescope. "Deansgate" also rings a bell, and I think they were a firm in Manchester that carried out bus and van conversions.

Hi Wayne. Kicking a team when they are down is in very poor taste and you should be ashamed of yourself. All style and no substance as usual, but at least we can look forward to a final with two genuine football sides without those dreadfull yob supporters ruining the day. :->

Randonneur - 2007-05-03 9:14 AM

When I was 18 (only last year!!!!) I used to work at Alan Taylor Motorcycles on Manchester St in Oldham. We used to sell NSU, the little 'bubble cars' and the Messchersmitt and also when the original 'Monkey' bikes came in from Japan, I have a photo somewhere of the showroom and we also did a show for all these at the Exhibition Hall at the end of Deansgate, I think it is called Castlefields now, not sure, not been for years.

The building used to be called City Hall, and it's still there but it's part of the Science & Tech museum now, along with all the L'pool & Mcr Railway stuff at that end of town. We went there a couple of weeks ago.

Tony

Archived