Pyrenees

laimeduck

In 2 weeks time we will turn right at Calais and wander off down the Western side of France towards Biarritz. We intend to investigate the Pyrenees more than we have done in the past, on both sides, north and south, France and Spain. We usually stay on ACSI/Municipal sites and use D roads or white roads.

Our overall aim is to arrive in eg Carcassonne/Beziers in 2-3 weeks, then on to the fleshpots of the Cotes D'Azur for a similar period. (An area we know well)

Has anyone got any suggestions on sights to see in the Pyrenees, places to visit pllaces to stay etc? Both Spain and France?

We'll probably give Lourdes a miss ... not our scene! Lakes, mountains, vistas are more to our taste.

Jeremy

laimeduck - 2022-05-18 3:39 PM

In 2 weeks time we will turn right at Calais and wander off down the Western side of France towards Biarritz. We intend to investigate the Pyrenees more than we have done in the past, on both sides, north and south, France and Spain. We usually stay on ACSI/Municipal sites and use D roads or white roads.

Our overall aim is to arrive in eg Carcassonne/Beziers in 2-3 weeks, then on to the fleshpots of the Cotes D'Azur for a similar period. (An area we know well)

Has anyone got any suggestions on sights to see in the Pyrenees, places to visit pllaces to stay etc? Both Spain and France?

We'll probably give Lourdes a miss ... not our scene! Lakes, mountains, vistas are more to our taste.

Jeremy

For me, the ultimate vista in Spain is the Ordesa Gorge - on the south side of the Pyrenees " over the other side of the hill " to the Cirque de Gavarnie on the French side. It been called Europes' Grand Canyon.

( But -apart from Ordesa and the Pecos area - I've not seen many mountains in Spain.)

Been there a couple of times - many years ago - stayed at a campsite in Torla.

The gorge is a world heritage site and said to be the most important National Park in Spain.

Car park at one end, ( the other end is a mountainous barrier ) - but in high season buses were available from near the site. Gets very busy high season.

Long walk through gorge, gradually rising - no climbing involved !

Return walk can be higher along side of gorge if you are up to a bit of scrambling down at the end ( back at the car park).

( I rarely come across anyone who has heard of it ).

;-)

I've visited Cauterets (French side) a few times, but not recently.

A good setting in the mountains, with the opportunity to get somewhat higher if you're still using your little bike.

I note there's a well-reviewed ACSI (card) site on the edge of town (Camping Cabaliros). I've stayed further in on my visits, so I can't personally comment.

These days I prefer to avoid Biarritz and the fairly densely populated coastal area near the Spanish border, and to byepass the truck melee on the now tolled RN10 south of Bordeaux. Can be very heavy traffic on the through town and coast route itself.

I take the turn off at Le Muret heading for Mont de Marsan then head for Pau via Aire sur l'Adour with its bullring and Spanish bullfights (the bull is invariably killed) Then through to Oleron Ste Marie, then through the Somport Tunnel, toll free although shown as peaje on some maps, (or alternatively over the col pass) to Jaca via Canfranc with the abandoned massive rail station shown on a Portillo Bradshaws TV trip., from there easy access to the Ordesa y Perdida Nat. Park, bone breaker vultures, chamois, bear, if you're very very lucky the ibex.The N260 takes you nearly the whole length of the Spanish side of the Pyrenees plenty of side detours, then to get back into France turn off at Ripoli towards Ax les Thermes, for a hot Roman bath. Unfortunately the N116 turnoff to Perpignan is some way before Ax so a bit of a there and back detour. Plenty of twisties just about everywhere....lovely.

Nr Laruns is this mountain railway really worth a day

You may not be interested but there is a aire for motorhomes at the sites parking then you could continue over the pass with its shopping opportunity's into Spain to another aire at Jacka.

I have just the guide you need for the Pyrenees. Done it a few times now. This was on my website but its not been updated for years and I just looked and half the files other stuff are missing but Ive uploaded the Pyrenees guide for you. It was done in 2014 but a lot of it will still be current.

View online or download

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc17/27121/summer-pyrenees-guide3-pdf-2-6-meg

Barryd999 - 2022-05-18 10:02 PM

I have just the guide you need for the Pyrenees.

All great spots Barry stayed at most of them we like to overnite at Cols but didn't mention any as op only stays at ACSI sites and can't comment on campsites as we've only used 2 or 3 in 15 yrs I think anyone staying at them in the Pyrenees will miss so much. One stop I took from you was the Plateau de Bennio 43.065227 -0.467979 you called it Laruns valley at the time we've used it several times with the horses and cattle for company staying right here

https://tinyurl.com/5fwnpmcx

witzend - 2022-05-19 12:03 AM

Barryd999 - 2022-05-18 10:02 PM

I have just the guide you need for the Pyrenees.

All great spots Barry stayed at most of them we like to overnite at Cols but didn't mention any as op only stays at ACSI sites and can't comment on campsites as we've only used 2 or 3 in 15 yrs I think anyone staying at them in the Pyrenees will miss so much. One stop I took from you was the Plateau de Bennio 43.065227 -0.467979 you called it Laruns valley at the time we've used it several times with the horses and cattle for company staying right here

https://tinyurl.com/5fwnpmcx

I would strongly suggest that Laimeduck deviates from campsites for at least some of this trip to see the best of the French Pyrenees at least. Some of those spots in that guide are amazing.

Dont miss Gavarnie whatever you do. The Aire there is split over three levels and is massive with lots of space.

Excellent info! Thank you all so much. (This is what this forum should be about)

Malc - Torla is now on the list. We already planned to go to Cirque de Gavarnie, but want to also see from the Spanish respective.

Robin - Cauterets was also in our sights (sites?) and we will go higher on our Monster MadAss! (little bike? - she's really hurt Tee hee!)

Simian - We have no intention of visiting Biarritz, I merely mentioned it as an area to aim for. We have traversed the mountains on the Portalet pass and seen Lammergeier vultures and saw the Portillo rail station on his programme, so may use Somport to visit it at Canfranc. The N260 is a no brainer.

Witzend - About 30 years ago we went up the le Train de la Rhune near Sare on the Western end of the Pyrenees, so the The Petit Train d'Artouste would be good and it's on the Portalet road. (Must have driven past it?)

We may use some Aires but my wife is not over keen if they look like car parks and she enjoys the security of a site? I'll work at it!

Barry - well what do I say?!

We will explore this in detail. (PS We have your Cotes D'Azur guide as well - we have been visiting this area for over 60 years and know it quite well but there is always something else to discover!)

Thanks Guys

Jeremy

laimeduck - 2022-05-19 9:20 AM

Excellent info! Thank you all so much. (This is what this forum should be about)

We may use some Aires but my wife is not over keen if they look like car parks and she enjoys the security of a site? I'll work at it!

Jeremy

From Laruns to Arrens Marsous we stopped at all 3

https://tinyurl.com/34sk5e7f

https://tinyurl.com/2s48kaev

https://tinyurl.com/y3sjf9e8 this shows the entrance to the aire which is now run by CCP's was free

Then to Barrys Lac d' Estaing & Lac du Tech then St Martory 43.14228 0.92892 nice stop beside river in small town then Auzas 43.170043 0.886723 nice fully serviced aire in small village was 6€

laimeduck - 2022-05-19 9:20 AM

Witzend - About 30 years ago we went up the le Train de la Rhune near Sare on the Western end of the Pyrenees, so the The Petit Train d'Artouste would be good and it's on the Portalet road. (Must have driven past it?)

Jeremy

It's here 48.87955 -0.39640 https://tinyurl.com/2rtnamk9

So's you won't miss it again you'll see the parking and service point as you drive in cable car up to the train station

I forgot you had the little bike with you. If you go to Gavarnie you have three Cirques and fabulous roads you can do on the little bike from the Aire. Not sure what you are like for walking but leaving the bike in the village of Gavarnie its about a mile and half maybe walk to the Cirque du Gavarnie (I cant do it anymore with my knees but its just stunning) but you can see if from the village. Just down the road (doable on the bike) you can go to the Cirque du Troumouse which is a toll road up to the Cirque. If you want you can wild camp in a field at the bottom (see guide) and again take the bike up to the top, I think its a couple of Euros.

Above Gavarnie take the bike up to the Col du Tentes and you can walk into Spain. Road finishes at about 7200ft above sea level. Between the Cirque du Troumouse and Gavarnie is the Cirque de Estaube which you can also fly up on the bike. There is a lake up there but its quite a hike to the actual cirque. If you really want to top it off with a bike adventure you can go down (Also from Gavarnie) to Luz saint Sauveur, turn right and go up the Col du Tourmalet.

All these are doable on the bike from the Aire at Gavarnie or the wild spot at the bottom of the Cirque du Troumouse. Awesome all of them. The best of the Pyrenees. The ride up to Pont D'Espagne above Cauterets (couple of aires in Cauterets) is a must do also. Its years since I have done it but from the top you can walk up or get the cable car to Lac Gaube which is truly stunning. Quite a hike though. You can also take a cable car from the actual Town centre of Cauterets to the top of one of the ski mountains.

Some bike videos here

Gavarnie and Col Du Tentes above

Cirque duTroumouse

Cirque de Estaube

Coming down the Col du Tourmalet

Lac Estaing

Cauterets and Pont D'Espagne

St Martory 43.14228 0.92892 nice stop beside river in small town then Auzas 43.170043 0.886723 nice fully serviced aire in small village was 6€

Just a edit if You do decide on Auzas go via St Martory and use the same road when you return 2 lane road all the way other roads to Auzas arn't

witzend - 2022-05-20 11:20 PM

St Martory 43.14228 0.92892 nice stop beside river in small town then Auzas 43.170043 0.886723 nice fully serviced aire in small village was 6€

Just a edit if You do decide on Auzas go via St Martory and use the same road when you return 2 lane road all the way other roads to Auzas arn't

Thanks Witzend - Great Info.

I'll let you all know how we get on.

PS I regularly visit my cousin who lives near Ruan High Lanes on the Roseland peninsula ...whereabouts are you?

Jeremy

laimeduck - 2022-05-23 11:14 AM

Thanks Witzend - Great Info.

I'll let you all know how we get on.

PS I regularly visit my cousin who lives near Ruan High Lanes on the Roseland peninsula ...whereabouts are you?

Jeremy

about 3 mls from RHL

Archived