Where does everyone go in Spain Portugal, Jan and Feb?

laimeduck

vindiboy - 2022-08-12 10:15 AM

https://ibb.co/HGjVrD6 These were the days when Wild Camping in Portugal was much easier park almost where ever you wanted [ with respect to the locals of course ] the best days of Portugal have gone now I think but still do able as more Pay Aires there now

Yep, much as my conclusions. My most frequent campsite stops were at Monte Gordo municipal, Olhao, Campismo Trindade Lagos, Sagres. All a bit shaded due to trees, very welcome in the summer of course.

Additionly Trindade Lagos overlooked by buildings so limited winter sun. Sagres, lovely position subject to strong Atlantic wind, can't have every thing!

Was a time when you could actually overnight at the fishermens quaysides at Olhao, Sagres, & Lagos, without fear of being frogmarched to the slave market site in town and sold off!

laimeduck - 2022-08-11 2:36 PM

We are investigating being snowbirds and migrating South for eg Jan and Feb/March. Not something we have done before.

With energy prices rising to about £550 a month for us at that time of the year the costings suggest it's a viable possibility in our Benimar motorhome? The ferry/tunnel and diesel costs to get to say the Algarve are less than 2 months of energy bills!

Bearing in mind that we are really not club/group people and avoid popular destinations whenever we can ..... can you good folk on here tell us where NOT to go! (I believe Benacassim is one example?)

For Portugal and Spain in Jan/Feb/Mar what is the weather like generally?

Jeremy

Two other things to check/be aware of.

Spain. Much of central Spain comprises the Meseta: the high central plateau - which ranges in altitude between 400 and 1,000 metres. This altitude can deliver quite harsh conditions in winter, which is presumably why winter visitors tend to cling to the coast, especially the Med coast. Only likely to be an issue if you head inland.

Insurance. Check the unoccupancy period in your home/contents insurance. Many restrict this to as little as 30 days, some 60 days, and (it seems) remarkably few to al long as 90 days. It also seems that, of those who state that longer unoccupancy periods can be authorised, subject to notification, many attach conditions or require an extra premium, or both.

I recently had dealings with several that wanted records of visits (once weekly was fairly typical) to inspect the property while vacant, which, if extending the unoccupancy period, were to commence on day 1, rather than on the first day of the extended period.

The only way in which such a record could possibly be verifiable, would be to employ a security firm who would have to attach a logger on or in the building to record the time and date of the visits. Otherwise, it would be merely your word against theirs.

If a friend or relative were to make the visits, even if they were to enter each visit in a book, the record would be open to the allegation that it had been fabricated after the event. It would also be a huge imposition on whoever visited unless they lived more or less next door.

It is, of course, a largely obstructive requirement that, were the worst to happen, requires the company to just accept your word that the inspections had taken place, and the break in or whatever just happened to have taken place between the last inspection and your return home. :-S

Call me a cynic if you will, but if all that was nicked was a potted plant in your front garden they'd probably cough up without question. But if the house had been emptied and the replacement cost, including accommodation costs during the period between discovery and delivery of the new stuff, was substantial, I can somehow imagine those inspection records coming in for an awful lot of questioning! Otherwise, why make an issue of them?

Thanks Brian good advice.

I know about central Spain and it's extremes, both summer and winter. (Similar to the Massive Centrale in France which caught me out one skiing trip with caravan! ..interesting towing in a full on blizzard at night!)

One of the reasons we are considering this is the fact that my daughter and fiance are in the process of selling their flats in S London prior to their wedding in March 2023. Things have progressed such that they may be homeless by Christmas if not before! They will then lodge with their in-laws (me included!) until they find a house to buy.

Fortunately both can work from home..... however, living again with Mum & Dad does not enthrall - either them nor me!

So we may have some tailor made house-sitters!

Add to that the fact that my wife Angela has been an Insurance broker for most of her working life ....... we know what lovely people insurers are!

Jeremy

Brian Kirby - 2022-08-12 6:12 PM

Insurance. Check the unoccupancy period in your home/contents insurance. Many restrict this to as little as 30 days, some 60 days, and (it seems) remarkably few to al long as 90 days. It also seems that, of those who state that longer unoccupancy periods can be authorised, subject to notification, many attach conditions or require an extra premium, or both.

I recently had dealings with several that wanted records of visits (once weekly was fairly typical) to inspect the property while vacant, which, if extending the unoccupancy period, were to commence on day 1, rather than on the first day of the extended period.

The only way in which such a record could possibly be verifiable, would be to employ a security firm who would have to attach a logger on or in the building to record the time and date of the visits. Otherwise, it would be merely your word against theirs.

Whenever we left our house unoccupied for a length of time we would ask a ( local ) member of the family to go in once a week and make a phone call - on a landline.

( They could always phone us and confirm we hadn't ( or had ) been burgled .).

I assume that if necessary a record of the phone calls could be used as evidence that someone had called in.

:-|

simian - 2022-08-12 9:23 AM

laimeduck - 2022-08-11 11:32 PM

We live 20 mins from the tunnel (25 from Dover ferries), so it makes no sense for us to travel 2hrs to Newhaven.

Don't forget landing at Dieppe saves 100 miles (over Calais) or so of driving through France if using western routes, and may be a fair bit cheaper ferry crossing.

TUNNEL IS BEST

we have a tesco clubcard, do all our shopping at tescos and also use the clubcard for loads of other purchases elsewhere so we get points for everything we buy in the UK, pre brexit we've taken our 8 mt van over and return free for at least the last 15 years using the club card points and as the points are tripled we don't use many vouchers

drive on, 25 minutes later drive off right onto a free motorway

ferries are a no no for us, all the hanging about at the docks and the chance of a rough crossing, no way

malc d - 2022-08-12 8:04 PM

I assume that if necessary a record of the phone calls could be used as evidence that someone had called in. :-|

An excellent scheme. However, from one or two of the insurers I spoke to, I can imagine them replying that the phone record merely indicated that your burglar had been a regular visitor during your absence, who'd also taken the opportunity to make free 'phone calls while selecting what next to steal!! (lol)

TUNNEL IS BEST

we have a tesco clubcard, do all our shopping at tescos and also use the clubcard for loads of other purchases elsewhere so we get points for everything we buy in the UK, pre brexit we've taken our 8 mt van over and return free for at least the last 15 years using the club card points and as the points are tripled we don't use many vouchers

drive on, 25 minutes later drive off right onto a free motorway

ferries are a no no for us, all the hanging about at the docks and the chance of a rough crossing, no way

Tunnel is best for you. But, I am informed we shop at Waitrose, Sainsbury, Lidls, Aldi, Asda, Morrisons, Coop, Tesco and Ali Babas corner shop, As I'm in a temporary comatose state as I enter a supermarket, this may not be true!

I occasionally used to take the Portsmouth/Santander ferry but considered on balance la Manche crossings were my preference, I had no strict deadlines and questioned whether bypassing France even in the winter just to have a few days extra in the sun wasn't somewhat negating the point of travelling via motorhome. I don't mind a bit of hanging around at the ferry terminal, observe what and who is coming and going. Mind you the recent 10 hour waits on the M20 I could well do wthout.

With the increase in fuel costs nowadays, it might well be that the Santander/Bilbao crossing might make at least financial sense for some, in the past it was always debatable taking into consideration 700 extra fuel miles, wear & tear, risk of breakdown etc.

We can only post up our own experiences on forums, other members may find something they relate to or consider useful. Trouble is a lot of advice comes without any personal or very limited backup qualification. A typical example...... I've just read a post on another forum where someone states that you now require IDPs for Spain/France, someone else replies that you don't. Another states no problem with migrants at Calais, never seen any, turns out they just motor straight on to the tunnel train hardly stop and only twice a year. Those Youtube clips informing people that you can wildcamp on some beachside spot, perfect, police not bothered you'll be OK, opinion based on 1 overnight stay. Yeah right!

Brian Kirby - 2022-08-13 11:11 AM

malc d - 2022-08-12 8:04 PM

I assume that if necessary a record of the phone calls could be used as evidence that someone had called in. :-|

An excellent scheme. However, from one or two of the insurers I spoke to, I can imagine them replying that the phone record merely indicated that your burglar had been a regular visitor during your absence, who'd also taken the opportunity to make free 'phone calls while selecting what next to steal!! (lol)

Good point Brian.

Maybe I should update to these digital times.

Next time I will ask my " house visitor " to also take one or two digital photos around the house and / or garden-

including a SELFIE.....

The digital info attached to the photo ' should ' be adequate proof of place and time - even for the most reluctant insurer.

( I do realise that the insurer could still claim that the volunteer family visitor might be the burglar - in which case I would change my insurance company).

;-)

• 1 month later...

Sorry late to the party...

£550 a month? £6600 a Year, you'd be best investing time sorting insulation or selling your draft palace.

We have a 4 bed townhouse, £90 a month.

That said we're looking to snowbird for the hell of it.

Main "issue" is there are just so many free overnight location across France/Spain/Portugal we've decided to

travel down and wing it.

Archived