Travel Insurance

Alans1949

Can anyone help please? Having booked a single ferry trip to Spain in September, I am now struggling to get travel insurance sorted. Single trip cover providers require a precise return date to be booked and we planned to leave that decision until later in the trip.

The answer? Multi trip annual cover. Fine but we are over 70 and the individual trips are then limited to something like 31 days.

I would welcome any advice, please.

Alan

Part of an insurers risk will be determined by the period of risk – ie how long you intend to be abroad, so I don’t see you being insurable unless you provide that.

How about over estimating how long you’ll be abroad? If you don’t expect to be abroad for more than two months for instance then insure for 90 days. The fact that you return before the date you planned is not going to be an issue. You could even book a flexi return for that date and then just amend the return booking date to suit.

I am over 70 and we use the Nationwide Joint Flex plus account travel insurance. You can pay an age premium and extend the 30 days up to various levels for a small additional premium. We paid an age premium of £65 for me (which covers me for the entire year) and £43.00 which extended the cover up to 50 days a trip. You can have as many trips in the year as you want to any overseas country eg USA, New Zealand (maybe exceptions eg Russia!) for no additional premium.

The base cost for the account is £13.00 per month, and this includes breakdown cover for all your vehicles(including vehicles registered to you), including motorhomes in Europe.

So it has cost us a total of £264 for 1 year for as may 50 day trips as we want, including breakdown cover.

Another benefit is that, as it is a joint account, when my wife reaches 70 she will also get the cover for no additional premium.

And...... if you want to extend the length of the trip cover, you can and simply pay the difference in the rates.

We have used this since the demise of ADAC and from others it seems the service is OK. (We have never made a claim)

It's worth a look......

Jeremy

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexplus/

Like laimeduck we insure through the Nationwide Flexplus account. We pay thirteen pounds a month for numerous benefits including travel insurance and breakdown recovery. We have used the breakdown recovery element twice. One with the car in the UK and the second with the motorhome in Spain. In both cases we had excellent service.

We have just renewed our policy today. The need for a renewal is because we have enhanced our cover, ie cover for minor medical conditions, my partners age (79) and cover for 71 days for any one trip. The premium was £86.40 which I consider very reasonable.

I concur with the views on the Nationwide Flexplus account. Being over 80 we have to pay an excess and also extra depending on the time away. Currently in Luxembourg on our second EU trip this year and we insured for 45 days away. We can do as many trips as we wish each up to 45 days. We selected 45 days to comply with the EU limit of 90 days in 180 though the official EU calculator says we can do a 90 days.

In addition to the travel and breakdown cover we can withdraw cash without any commission using the Debit Card, and get a far better rate than any bank or travel agent. The Debit Card shouldn't be used for purchases as that does incur commission, but the Credit Card doesn't. Just have to be careful NOT to accept the conversion offered when purchasing but to select £ and get the best Visa rate.

Dick Brodie

Archived