Truma 4E Heater problem

DickB

On electric power my heater takes around 3.9amps which is the normal draw at the 900w setting, and obviously it takes a long time to heat the water up to 60deg. Also there is very little heating air and the fan operates at low speed irrespective of the need for heating. It now takes the same current when the 1800w setting is selected so something has failed. Any idea where to start looking? 

On gas the water and hot air work as before. 

Dickb

That's a strange one because, as you probably know, the 900w setting runs both elements at half power so your 3.9a draw suggests that both elements are OK (at half power at least).

The usual failure mode is half current draw in both settings indicating that only one element is live -  but yours is doing something else, seemingly not switching the elements up to full power.

• 3 weeks later...

An update. One element has failed. However, Truma don't supply a replacement element on its own, so a complete new boiler section at £370 plus labour to remove, dismantle and replace, say another £350. It hardly seems worth it when it all works on gas, but clearly selling with a defective heater isn't an option. I thought a motorhome was cheaper to run than a boat, but not so sure now! 

Dick 

Truma only supply elements in pairs, in fact as part of a kit (part no. 34020-00228), but that costs c. £400 so isn't a cost saving over what you're being offered.

It's possible to buy just the elements without the rest of the kit for under £150; Ebay item 275495765095 for example. Still a big job to fit them though - I'm sure you've seen the Youtube videos of the process.

I'm not looking forward to when mine fail. Although I'll happily use the full 2KW for heating (when there is a good airflow across the unit) I do restrict it to 1KW when heating water alone as in 2KW mode too much heat seems to build up in the unit and it has brought up an overheat error (and 'hot' smells) on occasions. Hopefully this will prolong their life..

Not having the elements immersed in fluid, like in an Alde heater for example, is just asking for trouble really. Not a great design.

The aftermarket replacement elements available here:

https://www.thermotechnica.com/

...might be of interest. (£140 per pair) especially if you're comfortable with DIY (though in the past it has been noted that failed elements might be difficult, (not impossible) to remove). 

The element replacement service could also be of interest. £350 inclusive of parts, but you have to remove and ship the heater to (not from) them. 

I suspect it's the same seller as the eBay link above.

Truma will no longer supply the elements alone, I had heard that the whole heater had to be replaced so I emailed Truma for confirmation.  The reply was "The element kits will be changing to include the heat exchanger but you will not need to replace the complete boiler." This is apparently to reduce the labour costs by reducing the time required but probably means the cost will be the same as the parts cost will be greater. 

Our original Truma combi boiler failed after 13 years in our Hymer.

The water heater worked on gas but not on EHU. Took the big step to have the whole lot changed and now have the latest Truma 6E combi boiler with the Inet option. This option allows us to send - via text message - to turn on the heater when we're out on long winter walks, so van is nice and warm when we return.  You can also set up the timer so that it comes on in the morning, so again the van is warm when we get up in the cold winter mornings.

It was a big step financially, but I think it was worth it, especially if we decide to downsize from our Hymer based on a 4 tonne chasis.

Archived