Elevating Roof

Tracker

A friend of ours has a 6 year old secondhand VW van E/R conversion, maker unknown but seems well done. The dealer advised her to keep the roof up when not in use to make the telescopic struts last longer. She did this and now the roof no longer shuts properly. She lives in West Wales, a very windy area.

My thoughts are that millions of cars have these struts on their tailgates but we are not told to leave our tailgates open!

I suggested the advice was incorrect as wind, rain and sunlight degradation to the plasticised fabric, the hinges and the seals to the bodywork would be compromised by over exposure and resultant problems could far outweight any perceieved benefit.

Any thoughts anyone?

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

A friend of ours has a 6 year old secondhand VW van E/R conversion, maker unknown but seems well done. The dealer advised her to keep the roof up when not in use to make the telescopic struts last longer. She did this and now the roof no longer shuts properly. She lives in West Wales, a very windy area.

My thoughts are that millions of cars have these struts on their tailgates but we are not told to leave our tailgates open!

I suggested the advice was incorrect as wind, rain and sunlight degradation to the plasticised fabric, the hinges and the seals to the bodywork would be compromised by over exposure and resultant problems could far outweight any perceieved benefit.

Any thoughts anyone?

Maybe your friend could contact a reputable roofer to inspect the damage 

Hi Tracker

Sadly she was given incorrect advice , always down after drying and cleaning 

She needs to make sure no debris has been left and a little bit of liquid soap first applied to all hinged parts first may help with gentle closure

If struts have become damaged (bent) these guys may be able to help

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc3130-vw-roof-strut

Regards

Archived